How do I solve the work permit/job offer challenge?

Hi guys,

I am from Barbados (the Caribbean) and Im looking to migrate to the Netherlands  to work and live.

I have been in contact with with several recruiting agencies but the challenge Im facing is - there are no job offers being made as I don't have a work permit and I don't have a work permit as I would need a job offer.

Some of the recruiters basically say - hey let me know when you relocate...

What can I do?!

Hi and welcome to the Forum. :)

At the top of the page are 2 links; one is to our Jobs section, the other to our Handy Tools section - which give you access to our Expat Guides.  If you check those out, you may get some help in planning your journey.

You haven't said what your skill set/qualifications are, or whether you speak Dutch, so it's difficult to be more specific.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

My wok experience is within the Logistics &  Supply Chain. My language is English alone....I am willing to even take up a teaching job

OK - my opinion; you'll struggle.  Logistics & Supply Chain covers a lot of disciplines, what qualifications do you have (i.e. do you have a Logistics related degree)?  You won't get a teaching job anywhere in the EU without an EU recognised teaching qualification and everybody in Holland learns English at school, so not many people need private lessons. 

To get a decent job anywhere, you really need 4 things:

Relevant experience
Relevant qualifications
Speak the local language
Luck

My guess is that from those, you score 1/4 and of the one you have, there is no shortage of people looking for those low-level jobs; so you need to get the rest ticked off to get a better chance of that decent job.

So, start learning Dutch; you're going to need it to pass the MVV exams to get a work visa; the links I previously referred to explain the process.  If you don't have any formal qualifications, then start working on those.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I hold a BSc in Logistics & Supply Chain Management - specifically export, import and traffic coordinator, customer service for over 7 years - would like to get into procurement or and inventory control.

Like Cynic mentions, these skills are easily available locally. Companies will hire from outside EU only of they cannot find that skills/qualifications/experience in the local market. And yes, local language is a big factor, especially in customer service.

bajannomad wrote:

I hold a BSc in Logistics & Supply Chain Management - specifically export, import and traffic coordinator, customer service for over 7 years - would like to get into procurement or and inventory control.

OK - you need to contact the agencies that deal with your discipline; this link will take you to a Google search I just did which lists a lot of them.  You need to speak to them; the vast majority do not respond to e-mail or speculative CV's.  You will not be offered a job by anybody until you have gotten through the MVV process; if you do, it's almost certainly a scam, so please be careful.  So, the first thing you need to do (I'm repeating myself) - learn Dutch.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks