Volunteering Opportunities

Hey all,

I'm currently working on a memoir of my AmerAsian experiences growing up in the US. My goal is to return to Vietnam where I was born in the hopes of finding relatives separated by war and to track down clues to whom my biological father was - possibly an American GI.

The plan is to arrive sometime later this summer, so this post is just me getting a feel for what kind of volunteering opportunities I might find in Danang and other outlying areas. I'm not too picky about the kind of work I do, but I have to limit the load on my back and knees - ah good ol' age :) Since my brain is my strongest muscle (waiting for the snark to pour in) I'd love to be teaching in some capacity; however, I'm not interested in competing with backpackers and twenty-somes who seem to be saturating the ESL markets in VN. I have a liberal arts degree with a minor in Film and love working with young people and children, but have also instructed adults in media and video production. However, as a freelancer, I've had to take whatever work I could find, so I know how to swing a hammer and cook a mean short order.

Ultimately, my writings will culminate in a self-produced documentary about my personal journey back to my home-of-birth. I also make enough from the VA to be able to give back my time for under-served communities. Google tells me that there's a surplus of NGOs in SE Asia, but where do you start?

Would love to hear your thoughts if you have any experience in volunteering. Thank you!

Don't bother.  All NGOs r a a scam,  counter productive.

You will just be teaching English for free to them.  Money to students and owners.

Catfish and maldelabra was a good book

I just came back from an amazing volunteer experience with this group.  They do it twice a year, usually in Mar or April and Sept or Oct, and have been doing it for 15 years.  I don't know if they have anything in late summer but you can ask around or look for similar charitable organizations.

http://tuthienminhduc.net/https://www.facebook.com/hoi.sunghiep.tuthien.minhduc