Crime in Ponce

I regret to post that we had a chilling experience two weeks ago.

My husband was tired, so we stopped to change drivers along a highway exit ramp on 52/506 east of Ponce.  This was about 2 pm, broad daylight, very busy road with many other vehicles.   There were other cars pulled over as well.  As we were switching drivers, we noticed a man lying face down in the long grass near an overpass.  The man was very still and not wearing clothing. 

We thought to call the police, then noticed that there were others doing so.  We quickly made our switch and got the hell out of there.

My husband says this was probably gang related any since we're not buying illegal drugs, not to worry, but I'm still haunted.  Does anyone know if this is usual in Ponce?  La Perla del Sur doesn't really seem to report much about crime.  How do we keep informed about what is going on in our local area?

This might have been a mentally ill person...a Vet who did not get enough mental health help, a drug adict, an alcoholic.  Mental health has been a big untreated issue after the hurricane.  Why do you assume it's drug related? And that it's a drug drop? Do you assume all Puerto Ricans are drug addicts? ...  Every city has problems, every area has issues. For you to focus on this is not healthy for you or your life on the island. ... The fact that there were others trying to help should tell you more about the island and its people... People stop to help here... Not run away.

I second Moving. Not everything that looks strange or out of place is a result of criminal activity.

If you want to get some info on crime, sachet down to the police station and take a look at the reports. It's public record.

The inter gang war is everywhere in PR and that includes Ponce. Ponce is not super low in the murder cases, it is around the 5th in crime. But that does not mean all of Ponce either. The larger the population, the more customers and as such the higher the likelihood that the narcos will fight for territory.

You will be fine

Making assumptions is not something I usually practice but It could be a drug related death or a mental condition. .  This has always been going on.  It is the harsh side of reality in a poor area. When these poor Souls get destroyed by drug use you can see them talking to themselves and sometimes walking around just about naked. This could have been one of them. I talk with these people and give a helping hand when possible. Most are innocuous.   I have experienced many harsh  realities like this. It can be very much in ones face.  It does not change my enthusiasm in  living in an area like this. Most people are aware of this. The hurricane brought  issues like this more into the open.  A new wave of criminals were released from the prison after Maria and with less productive people  around  a person sees more of the aged, homeless  and troubled.  A group of us from the community will be starting an urban garden program with a hope of getting some of the homeless, etc. involved.  On the mainland people like this are swept  off the streets when possible. Here it is not on the priority list so life and death is more transparent.  Because things like this happen it does not mean that it is dangerous.  Just about every death that I have seen  in this area was drug related.  Since I am not a drug user this is not my  reality and I am more likely to get hit by a car or a bolt of lightning than be in the path  of someone's ill intention towards someone else.

I too don't wish to hazard a guess about this particular case.  However, I will share my story, though it is not nearly so chilling.

Wife and I, first trip.  Stayed in Ponce as our base of operations and were interested in a property in Parguera.  I had a vague idea of where it was and figured I could drive around until I found it.  Anyway, wound up in a slightly rough neighborhood, a low-income area that seems to subsist on fishing.  As I was turning around a US Border Patrol vehicle pulls in behind us.  We had a nice chat -- they were a little concerned about us in that neighborhood, and then they mentioned PR as a transit point for drugs coming in from South and Central America.  It seems that the drugs are transported by boats which head to the Ponce area where they are unloaded into waiting vehicles.  A quick trip to the San Juan airport (or even Mercedita) and without much security, you're in Miami!

The final advice from the Border Patrol was that violent crime was not a big concern, and the drug-related crime was pretty much contained to those in the business.

Call me jaded, but when an otherwise healthy young man dies in my town up north, barring traffic accidents, it generally has to do with drugs, gangs, or a combination thereof. 

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone and apologize if I did.  Not being a native and  having a limited command of the language, I guess I have more questions that answers.

Ann

Ann, I am very insensitive to the killings, as a matter of fact, I am well known to comments similar to "Another roach squashed, whooohooo". I read the newspapers in PR and most days you have 2-4 killings. So yes I am very insensitive to the mothers and families of those in the trade that are killed. But mostly because they are criminals that are affecting society and causing a lot of other related crimes, including the police, judges and politicians that are in the corruption and drug business.

A lot of people would disagree with me, but that is ok, it is their right.

Sadly, yes, I would say that is normal for Ponce.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Personal attacks
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Unrelated to the town of Ponce
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

If you are on Facebook I recommend “Noticias de Ponce”. I like to keep up with news throughout  the island.

I have noticed that most crimes are related to either drugs or domestic violence. As most had expressed already, not everything is lost, lots of people stopped to call the authorities. Most areas are generally good, just use common sense.

Thank you Peachy!

annabfalter wrote:

Thank you Peachy!

No problem. Lots of things happening in the community that news don't report on.

My Father's side of the family is from Guanica close to Ponce and my Mom's side is from Bayamon and they both have gang/drug issues. Though frightening to see and is a reality there, call the cops, get help and let them handle and go on about your business. I personally help the Satos (street dogs) there whenever I go since I was a kid. I am an animal lover so thats important to me.

Honestly though Puerto Rico is only dangerous if you get involved where you shouldn't or with you shouldn't or you leave yourself open to being a victim by not locking your car doors, not being aware of your surroundings etc. My last visit last month I went to Yabucoa, Ponce, San Juan and walked in Yabucoa and San Juan by myself and never felt unsafe. New York is worse in my opinion. You'll be fine, just use your street smarts and if you don't have any, brush up. Dont worry just Enjoy the island ♡♡

Thanks, Eva!  I know all this is true.. we've been coming here for over 25 years and have never felt unsafe.  In fact, just the opposite. 

Everybody knows about the drugs and gangs in San Juan and Ponce, but I guess I just didn't expect to see it up close and personal.  I feel so bad for their families.

It was a shock, but we're over it.  We close on our house on Friday... if we can get out of the frozen tundra in Michigan  :)

That's awesome! I'm in Wisconsin right now buried under snow too. I have 6 more months till my lease is up then I'm out of here. I can't wait to get back to La Isla. Safe travels and best wishes!

Safe travels to Puerto Rico. I am originally from Michigan and as you know I am now in Ponce. I live in the center of Ponce so my experiences are mostly from the downtown area.