SCIP building/ M2 Emmendue concrete insulated panel system

Anyone building with M2 from the capital?  Or have first hand knowledge of a residential house built with SCIPs?  We would be very interested to know someone who has this experience.

Request:  Could we get a 'building' category?  There seem to be a lot of threads on that topic...with no such sub-category.

Interesting observation and good idea. I know of no one building like that but will ask.

There is an excellent G.C. here in Sosua who is presently building pre cast fencing panels. I've been in some of the homes he has built. In one word, exquisite. Ian may know something of this system. PM me for contact info.

I'm resurrecting this post in hopes that someone living in Casa Linda could respond to this question about emmedue panel building (I heard some of the homes there are/were built with that system). We would LOVE to tour a house that was built with these and we'll buy the owners a round of whatever they want at whatever restaurant they would like in exchange!   :)

Excuse me for my being blunt, but it would appear this forum is not the venue for your need.  Why don't you knock on a door of one of the houses who have this material and ask them?  Versus asking people on this blog who have no clue what you need.  That is why no one answered. 

Note:  I have experienced on this blog, reasonable and sensible questions are always answered by one or more helpful viewers.  We are always available to help those in need.  What this means to me, is if there are no responses, the question should have never been asked on this blog.

We are all here to help each other.  I have been on other ex-pat blogs in China, and I don't recall reading foolish things that I have seen on this one.  Reading about people's personal stories about moving, etc., are not meant to be what this ex-pat blog is or should be about.  It is to help people moving to the D. R.  Not to hear about ridiculous questions and/or lengthy stories about personal lives that have nothing to do with this blog.

Let me wish each and every one of you a most Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.

Note:  I will be in Luperon for Christmas and New Years.  If any of you will be in or near Luperon and want to celebrate, kindly let me know.  Happy holidays to all!

Respectfully submitted.

Interesting subject for someone in the building industry. I have not specifically come across the Emmedue system before but took time to check out their website (https://www.mdue.it/en/) and can see advantages particularly when insulation and quick and cost effective construction are factors in the location chosen for the building.

Personally, I am wary of using anything other than from the tried and tested concrete and block masonry construction that every 'maestro' in DR understands, and where the price of locally sourced blocks, sand, cement, rebar and aggregates plus labour is cheap.

After my period of working in St Croix along side loss adjusters as their building consultant and surveyor in relation to claims arsing after Hurricane Maria last year and earlier this year, I would advise anyone intending to invest in a property built in the Caribbean with a stucco on mesh finished open framed external wall structure to be cautious.

But Emmedue is different in that it has a solid polystyrene core and this would likely prevent the significant internal water damage seen in St Croix in stucco finished open frame construction. I read the advantages of the Emmedue system in their brochure but wonder how good and competitive the system is, especially when it comes to earthquake, fire and windstorm? Sure it is can be a good system for certain locations, but is it good for DR is my question, when the known and cheapest construction is of masonry and concrete, which can be designed for all criteria and is the main option available?

Bigbob I hear your frustration.

All questions are welcome you just don't always get answers!  :D

Planner.

Common sense goes a long way.

You handle the questions, both sensible and ridiculous ones with kindness.  As a businessman, I tend to want to read questions that affect the masses.  Which I believe is the purpose of this ex-pat blog.

This blog needs you more than me.  Keep up the good work.  Hopefully our paths will cross in the near future.  I would enjoy meeting you.

BigBob: Feel free to ignore this question. I ask and have asked many questions and get great answers and give them where I can. Casa Linda has ever more expats purchasing there and my intent was to make a connection with someone here on the forum who may know of someone in that project (where there are homes built with the system I'm asking about).  We own a house and three lots and are in the process of planning our multiple builds. I'm a little taken aback that you felt it necessary to write your response...just move on if it's not the kind of discussion you are interested in. I've been a member of this community since 2014, never had a response like that.

Sounds like I hit a nerve.  Whether or not you agree, my comments were spot on.  I certainly see and understand, why they unnerved you.  It is very good to hear, that you have been part of this community since 2014.  I guess that means something.  And that you have never had a response like mine.  I am still on a Chinese ex-pat blog since May, 2014.  And have not read anything like your post ever.  However, I am sure  you are a nice person.

I guess you and a few others, don't like honesty.  And intelligent suggestions that make sense. 

Since you were so interested in your request, I am surprised you didn't think about knocking on a door of an owner with the product you are interested in.  Hmmmmmm. You could have got an immediate response.  I would not have read your post.  And we would not be in this discussion with each other.  And your quest would be resolved long before now.  More honesty!

This will be my last communique with you.  Have a good day and good luck finding the answer to your request.  And kindly, allow me to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

We are all about helping whenever we can. Read what you need to and pass by the rest.

We treat each other with courtesy and respect and honor different opinions when shared respectfully.

Carry on kids...

Mother.  I guess you don't get it.

Brodies, we have bought such a home in Casa Linda, slated to be finished in mid-January.  I'm sorry, I don't have any technical knowledge of the process, but do have some pictures of the construction as it went/goes along.  We chose it due to the better insulation from the heat outside, and keeping the cool inside, as well as the purported benefits in an earthquake, should a hum-dinger come along.  We are told they withstand a shaking better than the traditional blocks.  We have seen some foundations poured this way in Canada, but a little differently than here.  They build a hollow styrofoam structure, reinforce it with plastic bars to keep it together, and then fill it with concrete.  I can only go by some pics we were sent early on in the build here, but there appears to be much rebar involved as well as the foam panels and concrete.  The Ian gentleman Tinker refers to is a builder from time to time with Casa Linda, and we have personally watched him do a lot of concrete work where we are currently living until the Villa is finished.  Give him a call, although he is strongly in favour of the blocks.

All interesting and on the M2 site perhaps the type pf construction of your villa is on show in pictures in their portfolio. http://www.m2dominicana.com/index?&lang=en

I will side with your maestro and also strongly favour blocks and concrete designed and built properly to code.

I am genuinely interested as a building consultant to hear if M2 can confirm formally that they comply with the seismic code introduced in DR following the findings of the Haiti earthquake in 2010 being of a non standard construction. They only mention Italian regulations as at the bottom of this post.

http://www.suburbia.com.do/documents/R- … smico.pdf.

Unfortunately in DR codes aren't always followed and expats should be aware and demand written confirmations and checks by a CODIA structural engineer.

The M2 documentation states this:

Laboratory tests conducted on a prototype two-story M2 BALTRA scale have shown that the structure withstands, without damage, solicitations higher than those estimated for an earthquake-notch, which is the maximum set by the Italian seismic regulations. The results obtained in this test represent the scientific confirmation of what has already been experienced repeatedly in nature.

Time to ask is now.

Thanks, guys. Uncle buck I will PM you for more details. I think we agree that more could go wrong due to there not being many builders...but, we've heard more and more about commercial structures going up using them...we have two houses to build. For the investment property which is small, maybe we'll try it...and if there are issues...we'll build with blocks later. But, as my husband pointed out  (and he knows building codes on both sides of Atlantic) a concrete block is 3” of cement on either side with cement ‘ties' between them to allow rebar to pass through, emmedue panels create that but with more metal rebar and continuous material...seamless. As he puts it there is less room for error when getting concrete speckled/sprayed on with the panels...it has to be done right...whereas with blocks the consistency is sort of baked in... I will definitely document thoroughly

Hello,

any undate on building using the M2 panels system? Any recommendations for contractors?

This system should be faster and cheaper?

Still pretty uncommon here. An acquaintance built a house with this or a similar system a few years ago and he sourced the material and expertise from panama. This house is on a shallow hilltop only reachable with 4wd (no big camions), so that might have influenced his decision to build this way.

It is definitely faster, cheaper I wouln't know because labour here is isn't that expensive. Expertise how to build this way would be key.

Our roof is made of M2 panels with concrete over the top. Our builder suggested building the entire house with M2 panels when the building materials were getting expensive. This was 2-3 years ago. Somewhere along the way he abandoned the idea, either for cost reasons or availability. We were looking forward to it - easier to build (given adequate skills), insulates better, etc.  This is in Las Terrenas, and we know this builder has some experience with M2, so they are out there.

Thank you both very much.I am in Puerto Plata.

I think that builders shy away from M2 because of the speed of that technology. They are likely to earn a bit less using M2 .I am looking to build and this is the only system I would ever use going forward. To me, it only make sense.Faster ,less expensive and a durable product.Keep tempreture constant.You spend less on electricity for air conditioners .How a days it is very cool here under the mountain in Puerto Plata

I visited the factory in Santo Domingo .I was really impressed. They  promised to send me a list of builders using the product in Puerto Plata but they never did. There is also a plant in Santiago.

Please lets continue to dialog on this. Information will evolve. Getting a contractor who can instal this product effectially and not try to rip us off are key

Anyone has contact information for the French Canadian that was building those houses on the north course?

We used these in Santo Domingo to construct additional bathrooms for a client.  The company that manufactured them also installed them! They were more cost effective, cut our construction time substantially and looked good when finished.

@planner I would love to know if there's any contractors that use it on the North Coast like cabarete and Puerto Plata. Very good technology energy conservement too

I don't know of any but I can ask the SD supplier!

@planner

You said that the company that manufactured them installed them?

Could it be that there are several companies that make them in Santo Domingo and perhaps we only hear about the large one?

If that is the case, maybe they will work in Puerto Plata. What do you think?

@planner

Please let me know as well, Thanks!

Worth asking the questions!  After the holidays I will find their contact info and ask!

@planner

thank you

Hello @planner,did you find out anything further about the M2 panels builder?

As  usual  customer service is non existant.