Immigrating to Belize

Hi Folks,

Belize is a top contender for countries to immigrate to for our family.

I'm curious if anyone can give me some pointers on how the visa and immigration process works.

I'm reaching out here for advice and pointers because all I'm getting on Google is vague articles and lawyers firms.  So hoping folks here can help.

I'm a French South African and my husband is South African.  And we have 3 dogs.

We have money to invest in a property and don't want to rent.  And from what I understand foreign nationals are allowed to buy and own property in Belize.

Also, we won't require employment since we're both self employed.

Thanks in advance for any help and tips. ;)

yes you can buy property in belize easily, just be sure that it is a titled property ownred by the seller. Whe you arive in blize the first time you will et a 30day  tourist visa stampd in your passport. On or just before the 30th day you can go to your nearest immigration office and get a 30 day extention paying a fee of $50 bze  you can do this for 6 months then the extentions go up to $100bze. y that time you will probably have decided if you still want to  immigrate to Belize. Most people (myself included) would actually advise to rent for a while, a few months at least ,before investing in a property/land keeping all your options open while you explore this little country ad decide which part is most suite to your family. I have a new nieghbout who originates from SA he says the land is so reminiscent of his homeland.

Hi Terrific!

Thanks for your detailed reply.  I really appreciate it.

We'll be visiting Belize a few times just to get a feel for where we'd like to live and check out a few properties.  We considering some of the gated communities in The Stann Creek district or the Corozal district.

Any comments on those two districts from your perspective?

Also, I understand from my research that taking dogs into Belize is pretty easy as long as all the paperwork and vaccinations are in order.  So my question is, while we're getting our visas renewed monthly for that period is there anything we need to do to keep them there?  Like renewing any documents or paperwork for them?

Also, what happens after 6 or 12 months if we decide to stay?  How easy is it to get permanent residence after that period?  And will owning a property there be beneficial to get permanent residence?

Thanks in advance.

AstridHunter wrote:

We'll be visiting Belize a few times just to get a feel for where we'd like to live and check out a few properties.  We considering some of the gated communities in The Stann Creek district or the Corozal district.

Also, I understand from my research that taking dogs into Belize is pretty easy as long as all the paperwork and vaccinations are in order.  So my question is, while we're getting our visas renewed monthly for that period is there anything we need to do to keep them there?  Like renewing any documents or paperwork for them?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Astrid,
You only have to pay to import your pets, not keep them in Belize. However, if you do think you will travel outside of Belize with your pets a few times within the year you can get a 1 year pet passport from BAHA. It's $100 BZE per pet but it gives you unlimited entries in a year without having to reapply and bring all the vaccination certificates each time. I've never seen it advertised on the BAHA site but the BAHA agent at the airport told/showed me the passport and said you just have to ask when you email them.

As for communities, I live in a gated community in Corozal District. We have American standard water that you can drink from the tap, good internet service, a B&B, a restaurant among other amenities. Message me if you want more info.

KeriMeHome314 wrote:
AstridHunter wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Hi Astrid,
You only have to pay to import your pets, not keep them in Belize. However, if you do think you will travel outside of Belize with your pets a few times within the year you can get a 1 year pet passport from BAHA. It's $100 BZE per pet but it gives you unlimited entries in a year without having to reapply and bring all the vaccination certificates each time. I've never seen it advertised on the BAHA site but the BAHA agent at the airport told/showed me the passport and said you just have to ask when you email them.

As for communities, I live in a gated community in Corozal District. We have American standard water that you can drink from the tap, good internet service, a B&B, a restaurant among other amenities. Message me if you want more info.

Thanks for your answer Keri!

I sent you a message :)