What should I bring to Ecuador on my Tourist Visa?

RobinJoel wrote:

It was my understanding that the road in Columbia (is) not a real safe area anyway.

Colombian roads are not safe at night for intercity driving except in the Coffee Zone and a few other places.  Any long-distance driving should be done in the daytime only.

If you have any doubts that the above is true, the following link should shock you into reality....

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=634337

Joel and I will fly to Ecuador, again.  Then we will buy a truck there with the help of Ecuadorian friends.  We have so much to do to get ready to go over the next months that the car / truck issue is not worth the worry!
Thanks,
Robin

Thanks for all the information! We will be moving there December or January. Looks like we will be making two trips. The coffee maker is a must and we have 3 computer screens, two laptops, and a TV screen, maybe a router now. Some people have found a projector has been easier to use, but we know those burn out in a couple of years, certainly would be easier to move than our 32" TV.
We also have two cell phones, a camera, and a tablet. Wonder if customs consider a tablet a phone or a small laptop?

Dear Denargo,

Welcome to the Ecuador forum of expat.com .....

Just how big a family are you bringing along with all those screens and laptops?

If it's just two of you, consider looking into Apple TV, a small box that -- among other capabilities -- can mirror the images (including HDTV) from a laptop onto a widescreen TV.   I bought Apple TV's small box for $289 in Quito last month.  I set it up to work with my Apple MacBook Pro, although I understand it works with a PC.

Maybe you can cut down on attempting to bring in all the screens and laptops, which could incur customs duties amounting to who know's what. :cool:

The designation of the tablet might be up to the eyeballs and experience of the SENAE officer you encounter.

What purpose does the router serve in your system(s) that might be worth a second trip to get it to Ecuador?

cccmedia

denargo wrote:

Thanks for all the information! We will be moving there December or January. Looks like we will be making two trips. The coffee maker is a must and we have 3 computer screens, two laptops, and a TV screen, maybe a router now. Some people have found a projector has been easier to use, but we know those burn out in a couple of years, certainly would be easier to move than our 32" TV.
We also have two cell phones, a camera, and a tablet. Wonder if customs consider a tablet a phone or a small laptop?

You should have no problem with two trips. The rules are straightforward - you can bring in one TV up to 32", and one computer monitor up to 24". So just limit your computer monitors to one unit for each trip.

As for laptops you can bring in a two units a new one, and a used one. You can also bring in one projector. As for your question about the tablet, my opinion is that it can be deemed either a cell phone if it's small enough and something like a phablet or it may be deemed a portable computer if it's noticeably bigger.

I brought in a couple Dell ultra high resolutions monitors with no issues, but by following the rules by bringing only one at a time. As a matter of fact I've never had an issue with customs.

HI! Thanks for your reply. We will look into Apple TV, sounds interesting. Just us and a dog.
We still work. Each have laptops for travel and my job is on the computer. We will probably cut down a bit. We are selling everything, so really just essentials, but we do have a few more years of work.
I really don't watch TV, so I will suggest the Apple TV to hubby.
Thanks! :)

Perfect! Thanks so much! :)