Hi a question about long term stay in vietnam

Hi
I am in Cambodia at present and coming to look at vietnam.......what are the possibilities of a long term visa...thanks...jeannie b

'Long Term Visa' is one of the most popular topics covered here,
but turning possibilities into probabilities seems to baffle many
who might well be uncertain of their (true) motives.

So it's strokes for folks or horses for (causes)

The more inept, lazy or adventurous choose the easiest method of
a 3-month tourist visa and do a 'border run' to re-enter for another
three.   Like me, who is (still) enjoying my 4 year stay here.

Some prefer the 'security' of a 12-month 'business visa' or do the
most dangerous by marrying a local.   Adopting an orphan did not
eventuate and building a bridge or road (might) ensure your name
will last here.   But you (probably) won't...

I'm guessing.  That mine is the most popular method because it
allows you to remain flexible yet stable, (forcing?) you to take a
break for a day (or more) as you wish.  Cheaply.

Multiple choice answers also apply     ;)

One year business visa, and no you dont have to work for a company to receive one.

Can my baby entitle me to a VEC.  She's Vietnamese passport holder,  infant.  Not married?

MasterofDisaster wrote:

Can my baby entitle me to a VEC.  She's Vietnamese passport holder,  infant.  Not married?

Just guessing but, unless you are a Viet Kieu, doesn't the appropriate Vietnamese relative have to make the application on your behalf?  That could be difficult for your infant child to do, at least for a while.

You can apply for one year visa, and stay for one year in Vietnam, during one year you might change your mind to stay in Vietnam for long term.

You may or may not be able to obtain a one year business visa as I have but only online. There are 6 month visas but most likely from where you are positioned now in Cambodia, you may not be able to arrange more than a 3 month multi-entry visa but then once in Vietnam, you can then look into an extension on your 3 month visa.

Colin can you expand on this?

richard0403 wrote:

Colin can you expand on this?

Contact an agent or one of the online sites, they all offer the 1 year business visa.

You may need to understand that 2 years back, 1 year business visas were only available to US passport holders. This may now be different; so you should ask the question. As well, all agents are NOT the same. There are, however, 2 agents that I am aware of and have a high level of confidence in that do provide this service and are efficient in their service for a reasonable fee (as compared to most other services) - though the fee is still relatively higher than I would prefer to pay.

The visa offered to Americans back then is completely different to the 1 year offered now. The visa just for Americans you had to leave every 3 months, the 1 year  business visa now, you dont have to leave.

Correction!. The 1 year business visa "back then" is identical to the 1 year business visa now. I did not need to leave every  3 months in the first year that it became available nor do I need to leave now "every 3 months". The only question is whether it is now available to all other foreign passport holders (from countries other than the USA).

The visa that is 1 year and only for Americans, you must do a visa run every 90 days. This visa is totally different to the 1 year visa that is available to most countries.

"1 year multiple entries tourist visa just allows maximum 90 days of staying for one entry. It means the United States travelers will have to do visa run each 90 days with tourist visa.
• For the United States citizens who want to stay in Vietnam for 1 year without doing visa run are suggested to apply for 1 year business visa (Visa approval letter fee: Just only 200.00 USD)."

News Flash!!

The X-Files have been exonerated!   

The Truth was out there...     :o

..hiding in plain site, but still...     :blink:

As Ronni said, way back when...

" ronni50
ronni50 Today 21:53:17 Report #8
11 posts
Good grief!!
This is not rocket science people. I have lived here for 5 years. I have a business Visa. Every year I cross the border and come back for my new Visa. Here is (a phone number of) my lady Ms. Kahn in Saigon. Just tell her what you need or want to do. Tell her Ron Cavanaugh told you to call. She will explain everything and set you up with what you need. As I recall, it did not cost $300 last year when I renewed my  Visa. She is a good lady, be nice to her..."

..no rocket scientists were injured during this revelation...      :thanks:

To be honest, some of the information that gets around is laughable. An expat informed me last week that he was told by another expat that you have to be married to get a VN drivers license.

Maybe mixed up with the marriage mental test..?

Both pursuits provide peril     :o

Bazza139 wrote:

Maybe mixed up with the marriage mental test..?

Both pursuits provide peril     :o

No, he was very clear about it,as I was trying to help him obtain a VN license.

Dear Colinoscapee,

I saw your post related to 1 year business visa in Vietnam.

Is it a kind of business visa just in name without any requirements attached?

If you know much about it, your further advice will be appreciated.

Yours sincerely,  J.M.

jack mcnab wrote:

Dear Colinoscapee,

Yours sincerely,  J.M.

The business visa that was issued freely,has been hit on the head. The officials have found a more lucrative way to make money. They are issuing 2-year TRC's(not legally) for 1600 usd. Best to get a 3 month visa and extend it. The visa laws will change again, it's just a matter of waiting.

Hello, colinoscapee

Thank you for your reply in response to my query related to the long term Viet Nam visa.
After reading your advice, I have also studied Vietnamese visa conditions.
Their 3 month tourist visa seems easy to get.
And the local travel agents offer hassle free 3 month extension.
Situation of their tourist visa issue is as relaxed as the Thailand a decade ago.

Looks like  the above tourist visa is the way to go;
as long as they do not start to impose restriction as they did in Thailand in the past several years ago.

I thank  you again your reply.

Have a good day and keep in touch.

J.M.

colinoscapee wrote:
jack mcnab wrote:

Dear Colinoscapee,

Yours sincerely,  J.M.

The business visa that was issued freely,has been hit on the head. The officials have found a more lucrative way to make money. They are issuing 2-year TRC's(not legally) for 1600 usd. Best to get a 3 month visa and extend it. The visa laws will change again, it's just a matter of waiting.

Not being argumentative; a sincere question:

Is that national policy or regional?

I ask because it seems that agents and expats in the south say one thing is true, while agents and expats in and around Hanoi say something else.

While the 1 year business (DN) visa seems to be shut down down south, I know of two agents in Hanoi who can still get one (for American citizens only).

My buddy I met here on expat.com got his 1 year DN business visa in November.

In addition, I met an American citizen expat in Danang last week who had also come through Hanoi, using a different agent I've never met.

He just got his 1 year Visa on Arrival business visa (DN) in February.

Since visas are centralized in Hanoi, could this possibly be a political move, where agents in the south are routinely being denied (not because of a 'law') while "connected" agents in the north are still able to get approvals?

Also, to your TRC point, I had someone in Danang offer to connect me with a an illegal TRC sponsor for $300.00 USD a few weeks ago.

No.

I didn't bite...

Hello, OceanBeach92107,

Thank you for your advice regarding the Vietnamese Visa for long term stay.
Looks like business visa issue is getting quite complicated.
No longer issued in the south, but still available in the black market of the north?
Only made available to US nationals ?
I felt most of the ordinary  foreigners are   better off with the 3-month tourist visa and its extension through travel agents.
I appreciate  your comments.

Yours faithfully,   J.M.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
jack mcnab wrote:

Dear Colinoscapee,

Yours sincerely,  J.M.

I ask because it seems that agents and expats in the south say one thing is true, while agents and expats in and around Hanoi say something else.

While the 1 year business (DN) visa seems to be shut down down south, I know of two agents in Hanoi who can still get one (for American citizens only).

In addition, I met an American citizen expat in Danang last week who had also come through Hanoi, using a different agent I've never met.

Since visas are centralized in Hanoi, could this possibly be a political move, where agents in the south are routinely being denied (not because of a 'law') while "connected" agents in the north are still able to get approvals?

Also, to your TRC point, I had someone in Danang offer to connect me with a an illegal TRC sponsor for $300.00 USD a few weeks ago.

No.

I didn't bite...

This was posted on a forum in Vung Tau two days ago, as usual there is no uniformity of laws here.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/169934546 … 4982564474

jack mcnab wrote:

Hello, OceanBeach92107,

Thank you for your advice regarding the Vietnamese Visa for long term stay.

Not meant as "advice", per se.

Seriously seeking input from @Colinoscapee.

jack mcnab wrote:

Looks like business visa issue is getting quite complicated.
No longer issued in the south, but still available in the black market of the north?

My comments are anecdotal, at best.

But so, to a degree, are the comments of others on this subject, in the many threads covering this issue on this site.

To my knowledge, no one has supplied a link to an updated government decree or any type of official bulletin on the subject.

The best I've seen from anyone has been hearsay from visa agents who can't make it happen anymore.

And let's be clear, we aren't talking about a visa done through the Embassy, with a sponsor supplied by the applicant.

These are "XYZ" company sponsors supplied by the visa agent under a loophole in the law.

That, in and of itself, does not appear to be illegal under the law.

What WOULD be illegal would be for corrupt immigration officials (who own some of those XYZ companies) to get a "waiver" to the law for agents who use their companies.

It would really help if someone could provide a link to or copy of whatever directive or decree has caused some agents to say the DN Business Visa is not currently available.

It would also help if you could prove these are "black market" visas based on something other than unofficial posts on this site.

jack mcnab wrote:

Only made avaiable to US nationals ?

It's apparently always been the case that the 1 Year DN Business Visa has only been available to citizens of certain 'preferred' countries.

That's not a new development necessarily.

jack mcnab wrote:

I felt most of the ordinary  foreigners are   better off with the 3-month tourist visa and its extension through travel agents.

That probably true for you, being from Australia, and it's certainly true for those just passing through, as well as other non-US citizens.

However, since the subject of THIS thread is "long term stay", even though the OP is a UK citizen, the business visa is a great solution for a long-term stay by a US citizen, IF it can be obtained legally.

colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

No.

I didn't bite...

This was posted on a forum in Vung Tau two days ago, as usual there is no uniformity of laws here.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/169934546 … 4982564474

Thanks for that, Colin.

I've actually been searching for a legit sponsor in a music-related business or healthcare.

I wouldn't pay that for a TRC unless I had a way of confirming the legality.

Even then, $200.00 USD for a 1 year visa without border runs suits my needs.

Cheers!