Dubai or Manama

Hi everyone,

Great to find this forum. I have been living abroad for 15 years, the last 7 of which have been in Dubai which is a fantastic city (I am Irish btw). Was recently offered a job (similar salary) in Bahrain and am contemplating moving. I have visited Bahrain and it seems quaint and friendly. I would be moving alone and I guess I'm just looking for your opinions on what it is like there. I am not into clubs but enjoy good restaus and bars. I also love the arts (the job is in the arts) and the outdoors. I heard every cliche moving to Dubai but there is great culture here, a growing arts scene and I have managed to make friends with locals. Guess, I would hope for the same in Bahrain. Traffic seemed pretty bad when I was there and the night scene at Juffair was a bit raucous ... Dubai, whilst being a party place, is quite discrete. Any advice would be welcome. Many thanks in advance

I have posted on this topic in another forum:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=753545

Thanks so much for your response and the detailed info. So you feel essentially that a singleton is better off staying in DXB? Any other expats out there who have lived in either or both and have opinions? Btw, in seven years in Dubai, I have never been to a nightclub !!:))))

Welcome.  I may be generalising on the aspect of single vs. family.  To be more accurate; if you are a party minded single guy; Dubai is better.

Thanks again for the response. Obviously saving money is a major factor. You mentioned how you are surprised at how much cheaper Bahrain is. I know apartments are much cheaper but is everything else (except taxis) in general much cheaper? If I earn the same salary in Bahrain as I do now in Dubai, my savings potential is far greater I take it?

Yes the savings potential is  far far greater.  Rents like for like are extremely cheap vs. Dubai and so is eating out.  Groceries is almost the same.   Now there is careem / uber which brings down the cost of taxis plus there is always the option of having a private on the side taxi service.