Moving to Mauritius from South Africa

I am 49 and I have my own Catering business in South Africa for the past 11 years,
I am a chef.
My partner(55) is in the Corporate world and we are looking at moving to Mauritius

We have been there on holiday quite a few times and just like all the other South Africans
there is just no future here.

I am tired of living in fear of my life and the safety of my family.
I am tired of the crime and living behind electric fencing and security gates.
Our farmers are being killed and raped and land evasion is a reality.

I am happily trading the golden egg for safety and peace in my soul.

Where can we start, is our age counting against us?
Like another posting said - everyone situation is unique
We would just like some help as where to start.

First and foremost, you will have to draw up a plan as to what you want to do in Mauritius, by this I mean under what scheme will you be coming to Mauritius.
It can be anything from investment, professional employment, self-employment or retirement (you and your partner must be at least 50) or a special property investment which gives both of you permanent residency in Mauritius.

Your decision will surely be based on your age, as you mentioned, financial stability, competency and plans for the future.

Your age is not really a matter of concern, yes it can a limiting factor if you will be looking for jobs, but as I outlined above, there are several other avenues if you want to settle in Mauritius and contribute in one way or another to the economy.
Each scheme comes with its own set of conditions.

http://www.investmauritius.com/work-live/op.aspx
It all starts from here.

Nevertheless, bear in mind that living in Mauritius has its fair share of challenges. Mauritius is a lot safer than SA but definitely not crime free. And like in SA, a large number of people, including locals, do live behind barbed wire, high walls, fences and electronic surveillance, Security is not the issue in all cases but the environment is here.
And your peace of mind will be put to test if you are not well prepared; emotionally, psychologically, financially, logistically for the move.
That said given the proximity between the two countries, the quite large SA expat community and trade, cultural and economic relations linking the two nations, a potential move shall be fairly smooth.

Thankyou very much for your very informative reply.
I appreciate it so much.