Moving from the US to UK with a teenager

Hi there!  I'm moving to England soon, and at the moment the piece  weighing most heavily on me is my 17 year old.  Here they go to high school til 18, but my brilliant kid hates school and is not doing well, so is behind at least a year.  Since "high school" in the UK is done at 16, any idea what to do with him?  Is there a test requirement he can take to get into A levels?  Or are online Amercian classes better?  I'm at a loss!  :o

Hi brookealaine :)

I hope other members will show up with some useful advices soon ;)

Regards
Armand

I recommend that he see if he can sign up for GCSE's - 5 passed GCSE's is the equivalent of a highschool diploma, although this is typically done at 16, its still the same. You can buy books or take classes in preparation for the exam, and you can pick which subjects. But that depends on what he would like to do, and if he plans on going to college. A-levels come after 2 years of college, which is before University.

I assume you're still living there 3 years later.  How did it go?  I'm moving with a 13 year old and she couldn't be more upset.  Any tips on school stuff?  How did they do with the uniform?  Things you would have done differently?
thanks in advance!

Hello VonReybyton

As you have noticed this is an old thread, I invite you to create a new one if you wish to have some interactions.

Hope that the members here revert back to you though.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team