Electricity and Electronics in Phnom Penh

Hi again!

I have been researching what type of electrical outlets are common in apartments to prepare accordingly (buying adapters and converters)  for North American chargers and electronics I am planning to bring with me. Can anyone confirm what I should expect to see?

Thank you so much!

AJ

No worries, most plugs fit. And if not you can easily buy an adapter for a couple of $.

Cheers.

Joe

Thank you!

Welcome  :thanks:

When talking about electricity, sockets etc its also worthwhile to mention to be prepared for some minor power cuts; as it is a normal occurance in this part of the world.

Most places catering to expats have a power generator; but if you plan on renting a house or studio, then you should weight the cost / benefit of a lease with generator ( they are rather expensive to run..).

At any rate i never experienced a power cut that was longer than an hour or two max.  Electricity bills can add up if using AC 24/7; expect $150+ a month. 

Another option is to buy a power inverter and charger, or bring one with you, then buy a car battery from here and hook them together for 4 to 6 hrs of power to charge laptop, phones, watch tv, lights and a small fan.  The car battery can be easily resold before leaving.

Good luck.

Hi gulfport,

Thanks for the great info! I'm not too sure what to buy as far as inverter's etc, as I did read that typical outlets there are 220V and Canadian outlets are 120V. Is this true? I know very little about that sort of thing, so I'm trying to make sure I purchase what I can here just in case it is more expensive or harder to get there. I have been sussing out "western styled" apartments and it appears as though most have A/C and some include electricity, internet and gas? I may be over preparing, but 'tis in my nature to bring what I can (especially if I already own it) to keep my costs down (especially because I am having to start paying off student loans soon...)

Again, thank you for the great info.

AJ

Cambodia is using two pin socket, both two pin American type and European type fits.
If you are using 3 pin with earth you need an adaptor to convert 3 pin to two pin however the newer building now is trying to fit with 3 pin (square type not the American or Australian type.
I hope this info is helpful.
Jim

jimlim13 wrote:

Cambodia is using two pin socket, both two pin American type and European type fits.
If you are using 3 pin with earth you need an adaptor to convert 3 pin to two pin however the newer building now is trying to fit with 3 pin (square type not the American or Australian type.
I hope this info is helpful.
Jim

I must add that newer buildings, like the residence I live in, have multiple use sockets, i.e. for two-pin flat, two-pin round, three-pin round and three-pin flat.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Thanks for the update, cheers bro.

jimlim13 wrote:

Thanks for the update, cheers bro.

You're welcome  :thanks:

Joe

Thanks for the info Jim and Joe! Would you suggest that I purchase adapters/converters here for electronic devices that use standard 2 or 3 pin North American for charging (as I understand it, most outlets there are 220V and most here in Canada are 180V)? I would hate to fry a device (or several) by plugging into an outlet that supplies too much power for a charger to regulate!

Also, I'm gearing up to apartment hunt the first week of August before I start work. Any suggestions/recommendations on how to see/view apartments that have my preferred list of attributes? ie: quite/safe neighborhood, away from flash flooding areas, walking distance to market, within 20 minute bike ride to work, gas stove, east or west facing balcony, etc.....  Are there agencies or brokers that handle that or do I need to set up appointments with individual renters via contact info listed (on ads posted on housing forums like expat.com?

Again, thank you for all of the great info!

AJ

Hi AJ,
180 volt sound rather strange, I only know that globally either 110/120 or 220/240 volts, I would advice you buy from your country as appliance or accessories in Cambodia is not reliable better be safe. A lot of imitation but cheap.
There is a lot of housing agent in Cambodia.no worry.
Jim

Cheekemonkey wrote:

Thanks for the info Jim and Joe! Would you suggest that I purchase adapters/converters here for electronic devices that use standard 2 or 3 pin North American for charging (as I understand it, most outlets there are 220V and most here in Canada are 180V)? I would hate to fry a device (or several) by plugging into an outlet that supplies too much power for a charger to regulate!

Also, I'm gearing up to apartment hunt the first week of August before I start work. Any suggestions/recommendations on how to see/view apartments that have my preferred list of attributes? ie: quite/safe neighborhood, away from flash flooding areas, walking distance to market, within 20 minute bike ride to work, gas stove, east or west facing balcony, etc.....  Are there agencies or brokers that handle that or do I need to set up appointments with individual renters via contact info listed (on ads posted on housing forums like expat.com?

Again, thank you for all of the great info!

AJ

Hello AJ.

If you have appliances on other than 220V and they cannot be adjusted to 220V, don't bring them.
Except computers, phone chargers and so on that have transformers that brings the 220V to the required 16V. But things like ironing, coffee machines-, toasters that cannot be switched to 220V, forget about them, you can't use them here. On top you can buy those appliances very cheaply here, so really not necessary to bring them and not bringing them makes more room to bring other things ;)

As for apartment hunt. I will send you a pm with the way I found my apartment, what to do, how to do and what to keep in mind.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Oh AJ, forgot to answer your question about adapters, don't buy anything.

As I mentioned most if not all newer apartment buildings have socket for use of all regular plugs, whether US, EU or Asian.

If you happen to get an apartment with other sockets you can easily buy adapters here.

Relax, it's all here, it might be a third world country but Phnom Penh is a huge capital with about everything available that you need.

Joe

Thank you!!!

JoeKhmer wrote:

As I mentioned most if not all newer apartment buildings have socket for use of all regular plugs, whether US, EU or Asian.

If you happen to get an apartment with other sockets you can easily buy adapters here.
Joe

You forgot to mention AUS,NZ.

I bought 2 or 3 adapters here in PP at 50c each.  This actually makes a mockery of an adapter I bought 15 years ago in Eastern Europe and kept for when I might go traveling again.  It works here but is hugely inferior now to the ones I bought for 50c.  Quite sad really because I thought I was so wise and thrifty to keep it.

Many appliances now, especially computers, will accept any input voltage from 110V to 240V, but YOU NEED TO CHECK.  If it can't handle 220V, then don't bring it.

Mr4D.

I did not forget OZ and NZ but they are not relevant to the thread.

The OP is Canadian and as such will not have appliances with the OZ or NZ plugs.

On top my aim was to comfort her that she doesn't need adapters here, as modern buildings have multiple sockets, to be used with US [NA], EU and Asia.

People from OZ and NZ will need adapters, as the typical plugs from there don't fit in any socket here.

Cheers.

Joe