Electrics in Hungary

....continued from elsewhere....

SimonTrew wrote:

Apparently in Germany it is quite normal for every flat or house to be in three-phase. You're quite right. Again I have to be a bit technical, but since a bloody Hungarian invented three-phase electrical power (Nikolai Tesla) we are stuck with it.

Between the live and the common on any of the three phases you should get about 220 volts root mean square voltage. If you start mixing them. it gets a bit interesting, cos you will get about 485 to common or about 110. I have a rather suspicious earth in my house that tells at 50 volts which is not what it should, it should tell 0 of course.

For a cooker you would need by british standards 4mm2 cable on a bit of twin and earth, but actually your  2.5mm is quite adequate even at 20 amps depending on the run. The cable will take it, you have toI think about heat diffiusion and affinity. My cooker is on a separate circuit back to the box., I have put up some other konektor in the kitchen but they are on a different circuit.

Here in Hungary, the Neutral is actually also Earth and goes back to the power company. 3P here in HU is 415V  between phases and 230V to N.

If you've got 50V on your N, there's something up with your phases and your loads aren't balanced or you've got grounding issues somewhere.  The N on 3-phase shouldn't have that kind of voltage on it at all.   

2.5mm2 for cookers and heaters for 3P etc is perfectly normal here and in Austria.  However, I've got a very fat cable buried in the ground between my outbuilding and my house.  It's at least 4mm2 and it carries 3-phase as well. It's bigger because it's buried in the ground and the cable has been de-rated to cope with not being in air.   I've got one particular machine in my shed which can use on average 22A on 1P.  That kind of power makes 2.5mm2 not much good. I've got big blue 32A plugs with a nice 32A MCB in the switch box.  I split the phases in the shed via the switch box.  Lights on one phase, sockets on another and the 22A machine on another.  My fat cable goes back to the house switch board and each phase is 16A.

"Again I have to be a bit technical, but since a bloody Hungarian invented three-phase electrical power (Nikolai Tesla) we are stuck with it."

Just don't say that in Belgrade! Or Zagreb, either.

zif wrote:

"Again I have to be a bit technical, but since a bloody Hungarian invented three-phase electrical power (Nikolai Tesla) we are stuck with it."

Just don't say that in Belgrade! Or Zagreb, either.

But everyone knows the Hungarians invented nearly everything.

I'm quite surprised old Nikolai is still around and making cars (that bear his name).

BTW, I see a LOT of these cars around now - usually racing up the motorway near Budaors. 

Those cars cost north of $100K which is rather surprising given the salaries in HU.

:/

People who can afford cars worth over $100,000 don't actually work hard labor.
They get someone else to do the heavy lifting.
My older cousin in Vegas( just found out he lives there after having moved away myself) has photos of his new bright red Lotus on his FB page...
No idea what he did as work as he is now retired, I know he was in the USAF but don't think they pay that great?.
Next visit to Vegas,I'll be sure to have him give me a spin in his new toy.

Yes have to watch out with 3 phase power. Our old machine shops operated on that current.
I was so worried when my husband rewired a used mill machine...
Thought  I'd be scrapping him off the walls.
My step-fathers daughter was married to a electrician who worked for the state of Cal.
He was up working on a high wire when one of his co workers turned on the juice.
End of story, she won a major law suit against the state.

Tesla was done so wrong, just got a raw deal.
he was too smart for the idiots who couldn't see what he was trying to achieve. Greed once again got in the way.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yes have to watch out with 3 phase power. Our old machine shops operated on that current.
I was so worried when my husband rewired a used mill machine...
Thought  I'd be scrapping him off the walls.
My step-fathers daughter was married to a electrician who worked for the state of Cal.
He was up working on a high wire when one of his co workers turned on the juice.
End of story, she won a major law suit against the state.

Tesla was done so wrong, just got a raw deal.
he was too smart for the idiots who couldn't see what he was trying to achieve. Greed once again got in the way.

Those pylon type deals are carrying huge amounts of power.  It would have evaporated him.   They should have had a proper system to stop people turning on power when people are working.  In some places it's necessary that the electrician takes the key (to a lock on the switchgear) with him/her when they are working downstream.  Then no-one can turn it on by accident. 

3P scares me to death but it has its uses.  In fact it's better to have a fear of these things as it's extremely dangerous.  I have kind of got used to it but familiarity leads to being complacent. I check, check and check and check again.  And then I check again.

For 1P circuits, I insisted in my building work here that we have what the British call an RCD (Residual Current Device) and what the USA calls a GFCI.  These devices will save your life if you are in contact with live wires.   

However, the electrician was sceptical this was necessary and I believe it's not even a requirement here.  For 40 EUR extra, it makes no sense not to install it and therefore reduce the chance of an accident.   Personally I think it should be a requirement to have  these devices. 

Oh, and while I am here, smoke and CO alarms as well. I don't think these are mandatory here either.     I have three of these - one in the living room, one upstairs and one in the shed.  They cost almost nothing and they are an absolute necessity for anyone with gas boilers or wood burning stoves.  And I test them once a month.

We brought over a couple of smoke alarms but have never installed them.
Almost like my son in Vegas, some of his 9 volt batteries went out and he never replaced them.
One of the many things we do when we visit him, change the batteries, clean up his yard and look over his cars.
His wife doesn't like the sun and never goes outside.
No vitamin D for her!
I had to study a bit on electricity while in beauty school but most of the details are forgotten, but in the back burner of my mind.
My step- dad's SIL got fired over 35 years ago,probably that wouldn't happen now.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

We brought over a couple of smoke alarms but have never installed them.
Almost like my son in Vegas, some of his 9 volt batteries went out and he never replaced them.
One of the many things we do when we visit him, change the batteries, clean up his yard and look over his cars.
His wife doesn't like the sun and never goes outside.
No vitamin D for her!
I had to study a bit on electricity while in beauty school but most of the details are forgotten, but in the back burner of my mind.
My step- dad's SIL got fired over 35 years ago,probably that wouldn't happen now.

Its a bit silly not to have smoke/CO alarms and maintain them in a house.  Costs almost nothing.  In some countries, it's compulsory to have have them otherwise your house insurance is not valid.  There was a fire down the road here recently and the house was not insured.  False economy.

We always discuss what we would do in a fire situation.  And it might sound stupid but for little kids it's a good idea to even have exercises.  The rule is to get out. 

One thing 9/11 and Grenfell should have taught people is if the building is on fire, get out any way you can and do it immediately and do not pay attention to stay at your desk or even in your bed.

My  friend in N Cal. was the daughter of a LA County fireman.
He fought fires in the LA riots of the 1960's with bullets flying all around his head.
He was the "driver" the engineer.
Still alive and relaxing on my friends 120 acre farm.
Funny side to the story is her son was playing with matches as a boy and burn up her entire upper floor of her house! She was relaxed about it, said she had planned to remodel anyways.
He is now a fireman... Things that make you say, Hmmm.