Work permit from 2 companies at the same time

Hi Expats,

Need your advise on my doubt please.

I have been living in Brussels as expat from indian company from last 3 years and my Work permit is about to expire in June 2018.

I found a direct job here in Belgium company last month  and they have taken my  current work permit now to apply for new work permit.

but now, my current company is trying to retain me and want to me to stay back and they would like to extend the same work permit( here its only extension).

what happens in this case when both the companies apply for work permit( one is new work permit from new company and the other is an extension).

Can i myself stop the processing of work permit from new company as they have just initiated the process or it needs to be done by employer. I am not sure if they will ask me to pay the fine if i don't join the company.

Can someone please guide me in this situation. i just want to know from work permit perspective so that i can plan accordingly.

thanks

Amicable4u wrote:

Can i myself stop the processing of work permit from new company as they have just initiated the process or it needs to be done by employer.

-> No. Work permit B application is submitted by the employer. You cannot interfere in this.

Amicable4u wrote:

I found a direct job here in Belgium company last month  and they have taken my  current work permit now to apply for new work permit.

but now, my current company is trying to retain me and want to me to stay back and they would like to extend the same work permit( here its only extension).

From an ethical standpoint, it is not a right thing to withdraw after your new employer initiated the WP process. You commit to an employer and let them apply a work permit for you only after you make up your mind 150% :)  (Trust me, it is a lot of paperwork they need to do and money they need to spend; never pleasant when a candidate backs off while the process is half way). Some companies may not care, but some treat it as breach of agreement.

Amicable4u wrote:

what happens in this case when both the companies apply for work permit( one is new work permit from new company and the other is an extension).

There could be problems if the ministry will see two applications at the same time for same person. Chances of both getting rejected. If one application is processed after the other, the previous work permit will get cancelled when the new one is granted. It is better to ask one of the companies to cancel the application (if that is possible).

Thanks Aneesh for your kind reply.

Is there a way we can check the status of our Work permit progress in ministry?

any link or contacts who can just share the current status.

please let me know if you have any idea on this.

thanks

I assume only the employer can check that (or the agency that files the application on their behalf)