Becoming "Self Employed"/Start my own Counselling Services in Malta

Hi, I am a registered warranted counsellor in Malta with government approval and want to set up my own practice. I understand to do this I have to get a VAT # and Certificate book, but before I do that I have to have an Socials Security Number. But I'm in a loop now and am not sure how to proceed as when I go to apply for the SSN, I'm asked for an incredible number of documents showing employment!  I  am not employed, but want to be self employed or set up my own company.
I am EU/Dutch citizen. Can anyone shed light on this process? Is it best to go to K'bara and get advice? Or is it best to seek an accountant (?) or other professional to guide me/do this paper work. Whom do you suggest, i.e., accountant??  Would appreciate any/all insights. Many thanks & Bedankt! Dr Beth

All the information you need can be found HERE.

I am strugeling with the same. The site Smartexpat wich SimCityAT I have found to but there are still some questions when you read this article. For example the link to the Commerce Department website does'nt work and I wasn't able to find any Commerce department in Malta online.  And it is also not clear if you don't have a  residence permit with E-ID how you can register with the tax office. I'm also Dutch by the way ;) Dr. Beth if you want to we can exchange our experiences also in private mail.

Yes thanks have been to this site and the links are great but run you about in circles.  To Marcel, be sure to check. If you are a psychologist, there is a difference with VAT. I am, but believe one must be ,,warranted,  as such here. .OR at least that appears this is case, but check first. It's not simple, it's not fast and does not appear to be easy. But I love MT and am pushing forward. Best regards.

You have to pay the Social Security attention three times a year... Personally I've decided to pay a private policy. I'm just informing me and I think it's cheaper.

Hmm apparently I had timed out on the site with my reply. Thank you Ester and Marcel (Dutch guy =). I have come to a standstill on this. There seem to be differences for psychologists as well with paying VAT I am told. Totally lack of clarity and lots of running in circles via websites. I was told to get an accountant, it's best and worth the money to get it right & to get it done. Thanks for our input, I'll share whatever I find out too. Bedankt! Thanks!