Real estate agent rip off

I purchased a condo in cuenca , not being able to stay there , I asked the agent if she had people to do the work I wanted done,worst thing to do she added eight thousand dollars to my bill, she inflated bills for work done, all three parties are guilty of robbing me, best part of it was she had the nerve to make checks out to the mother of one of my vendors and charge sales tax ,Total of $ 2,200.00 in sales tax they put in there pocket,I wanted to pay furniture store with credit card was told they could not use credit card they did not have automated machine you see they had bad intentions from the start, plus they add to the bill bedroom set they sell for  $1200.00 they charged me $ 1,800.00, and the flooring contractor charged me almost double for work done, also the window dressing people, desperate people do desperate things, I have a lawyer handling this matter as soon as this matter is resolved there names will be on this site to protect people,  which should be good for there business,these people make it bad for other ecuadorians these people are real pieces of shit

So sorry Brooklyn1950 to hear of your troubles.  I hope you can get them straightened out and that justice is done.

Your tale should serve as a caution to anyone who thinks that Ecuador is without risks.   Too many expats find out the hard way that business is not conducted in the same manner as where they have lived much of their lives in their home country. 

Some things to consider:
1.  Not being physically present to oversee and direct a contractor's work can be an invitation to get ripped off.  If everything is not specifically spelled out in a contract, you can expect to have disagreements about the scope of the work and every other aspect of it, too.  Even if there are specifics you cannot expect things to go as planned.  Ask the people who have invested their hopes and dreams and money in Las Olas.
2.  Not speaking and understanding Spanish can get you into trouble - although most Ecuadorians are honest, many are not and they will take every opportunity to take advantage of your ignorance.
3.  It's good advice not to buy any property in Ecuador until and unless you've lived in your target area for one year or more so you know exactly what to expect with regard to life and costs there.

Please keep us posted as to how things work out - you will be doing a service to everyone to detail the problems you faced and their resolution.

“Cautionary tale”, or not, it is simply one side of the story. But if there is one lesson to be learned is if you can't deal with everything yourself then give the responsibility to someone you truly trust or don't do it at all.

As for the sales tax, this is something that is verifiable, so even if the costs were allegedly inflated the sales tax is verifiable if a 'factura” was issued.

Lawyer or not, it is difficult to prove one was ripped off for a service such as window dressing. For instance I installed blackout/noise reducing curtains for my bedroom which I imported but before that I went to several vendors and the prices varied a lot.

Seriously, how can someone prove they were ripped off for a service? Or even for a bedroom set? A bedroom set can cost $500 or $5000 for example. Then again there is always two sides to a story.

How did you make out wish I New this got a lawyer to get my money back lot of under handed low life's  they play nice and then bang they stick it to you.purchased condo,had to leave and asked agent if she could help me she added money for herself on three things I asked her to do,best part she had the balls to make checks out to furniture stores mothers name ray Charles could see what's going on.You need lawyer from ex pat to help you my e mail is *** let me know how you make out all the best Joe

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : please share your contact via your private message system. Thank you.

It doesn't matter if you're in Ecuador, or if you're in Europe or in the USA for that matter. My wife and I have purchased properties in Europe and in the USA, in both places requiring the assistance of Realtors, with Realtors always charging extra "whatever they feel like" for their services. They're self-employed, so they make up whatever fees they see fit. That's actually pretty normal. Nobody does anything for free anywhere, and the only way to make sure that everything works out EXACTLY as you want it to be, is by physically being present to see that things are done right. Considering the fact that Ecuador is a developing Country, I don't find your story surprising at all. I'd be willing to bet that that kind of behavior occurs quite often ... to those who are not physically present, to see how things are getting done. Sorry to hear about your woes though and hope that your lawyer can help to get some of these issues sorted out for you. Keep the Expats here in the forum updated ...
PEACE.  :)