How to deal with stress when moving to Mexico

Moving abroad is no easy feat. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with stress, so we invite you to share some insights regarding this topic.

What are the main factors that contribute to stress when moving to Mexico (cultural adaptation, moving with family, administrative and bureaucratic issues, language differences, etc.)?

What activities would you recommend to help deal with this type of stress?

What are some techniques that have helped you deal with stress?

Is there a way to avoid being stressed out or anxious when moving to Mexico?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

The main unnecessary stress is trying to move everything you own to a new place you are not familiar with. Probably about 90% of what people think they need they do not. In some cases in the new climate those things will quickly rot or rust away.

My rule for myself is ' have I used that in the last year' added to that are questions like do I have a place for it ? do I have a place at all? or am I still trying to figure out where I will live? Do I know I will like it there already ? or have I no idea.

Carrying extra stuff is tiring and very stressful. Letting go of your favorite personal car is a big issue also. Eliminate the U.S. car and you will reduce a lot of paperwork, cost , & time. Simple and minimal should be the plan.

Drinking a beer is a good way to relieve stress. Enjoy.

The greatest stress for me in moving to Mexico was administrative and bureaucratic issues.  The  back and forth meetings at the Mexican Consul in Texas to get our permanent resident visa was frustrating and stressful.  It was so difficult to understand  all of the documents required and then search records to find them.  My wife's first language was Espanol so she helps a lot with that.  Shipping my furniture was delayed at the border because the freight company processed my papers for a temporary resident visa which has different requirements than for a permanent visa.  I coped by changing my expectations for the time involved to complete the process.

my biggest problem is having to leave so much behind. I sort, then I have to sort again. I can not afford to send anything. Fed ex wants 350.00 to send one box at 40lbs. I am taking two large suitcases and sending one box. I am 70yo and it is difficult to toss so much.

Sealark wrote:

The greatest stress for me in moving to Mexico was administrative and bureaucratic issues.  The  back and forth meetings at the Mexican Consul in Texas to get our permanent resident visa was frustrating and stressful.  It was so difficult to understand  all of the documents required and then search records to find them.  My wife's first language was Espanol so she helps a lot with that.  Shipping my furniture was delayed at the border because the freight company processed my papers for a temporary resident visa which has different requirements than for a permanent visa.  I coped by changing my expectations for the time involved to complete the process.

Good plan Sealark, 
Well it's Mexico is my go to response.  It's usually pretty fair, but time consuming and paper heavy here.  You have to adjust to a totally different attitude and sense of time. Repairs are this week probably, deliveries are early, soon or next month. You have to let the American time concept go. After awhile you find not being intense about things is relaxing. That doesn't mean you don't let them know what your expectations are, you must make it clear what you need  and that you will be fair but not a fool, just as you did in the U.S. The difference is I expect water deliveries on Monday or Thursday, some time before 4 pm. No anger or demands, just expectation of honoring an agreement.

bothner06 wrote:

my biggest problem is having to leave so much behind. I sort, then I have to sort again. I can not afford to send anything. Fed ex wants 350.00 to send one box at 40lbs. I am taking two large suitcases and sending one box. I am 70yo and it is difficult to toss so much.

Do you have family or friends to gift things to ? I did and it helped me walk away with the memories, but not the things.  Letting go of the heavy weight is part of the process.

What good advice travellight.    Over the past decade or two I have also gotten used to the hurry no rush attitude here in South Africa.  The service delivery varies from province to province.  I live in Natal, lovely laid back lifestyle,  as long as you dont expect service like Johannesburg where everything is bottom line driven...Go with the flow.....it has saved me a lot of frustration and anger to just letting it go...when I do get the service, I am grateful and make it known...this attitude gets me a long way and everybody is happy...magic words remain...thank you.....

For me I can choose to be frustrated or I can laugh and add another tale to my story box.  I can remind myself that if I need things to be just like in the us then I should live in the us.  I chose this adventure and I want it to be educational, fun, funny and fuel for my growth and open mindedness. So my frustration and stress (about stuff not going the way I think it should go - bureaucracy, communication, special gringo pricing) are made my me and my humor and relaxation regarding these and other foreign antics are mine as well.

Hi!

I'm one week away from travelling to Mexico for some job interviews, and later in October, moving from Toronto to Nayarit.

I am finding myself getting pretty anxious/excited/nervous. I'm telling myself that if I don't get one of these jobs (going on work visa would make things a lot easier for extending healthcare, security of income, and saving the trip from getting temp res visa THEN work visa) that there's still hope when I'm set in October.

I'm 32 and single, so I'm anxious about the loneliness I will experience being so far from my tightknit community here.

I'm nervous about finding affordable housing (the little town I want to live near has sky rocketed pricing due to tourist fluctuation.)

I'm nervous about my dog adapting. What do I sell, and what do I store here in Canada? Will I be able to save enough money in case I don't get a job? I'm taking Spanish lessons, but will it be up to par to work?

I know worrying about these things won't solve them. So any extra advice would be greatly appreciated! <3

Hi Emily.
Relaaaaax.  If you lose yourself in worry much of the experience will pass you by because you're not present.  No matter what happens, it'll be interesting.  If you like it, you stay. If you don't, you leave. On to the next thing.  You've got your friends at home (Skype, facetime, whatsapp) and you're going to be proactive making new friends (Spanish classes, church, yoga, art).  Consider meditation if you don't already do it, starting now. You got this. It's all good.
L

Tequila

I moved full time last August. Bumps in the road....sure, but found  that there was a natural ebb and flow little by little accomplshing my to dos list. Have found that if things happen in a positive direction with minimal roadblocks then it was the right thing to do. To many dead ends then wrong choice made.

Thanks LeslieSDMA!

"Present" is exactly what I haven't been the past few days! Thank you for reminding me that it's a journey! I also realize that my fears have been adopted from my nervous family, and they don't serve me. Will be sure to meditate after work today <3

Muchas gracias!

Thank you for the info on moving “things”.  What if I don't want a permanent visa?  What if I plan to live there a year first to see if I can do the move to Rosarito?

Mila2018 wrote:

Thank you for the info on moving “things”.  What if I don't want a permanent visa?  What if I plan to live there a year first to see if I can do the move to Rosarito?

Just get a visitor visa it lasts about 6 months ( I say about because rarely they grant a visa for less time, highly unlikely)   Then after the 6 months, you have to exit and return getting a new visitors visa. By then you should know what you want to do. Simple, little fuss. I did that for two years before I got a permanent.

The cool thing about a permanent visa is not having to continually renew it.  However you have to prove you have more of a nest egg and/or income than for a temp.  A regular Mexican tourist visa, just the one you complete on the plane,  is 6 months. For a lot of folks that's a good amount of time to make decisions. You could come for 6 months, go back to the us for a minute then return on a second tourist visa.
Best!