How to deal with stress when moving to Malaysia

Moving abroad is no easy feat. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with stress, so we invite you to share some insights regarding this topic.

What are the main factors that contribute to stress when moving to Malaysia (cultural adaptation, moving with family, administrative and bureaucratic issues, language differences, etc.)?

What activities would you recommend to help deal with this type of stress?

What are some techniques that have helped you deal with stress?

Is there a way to avoid being stressed out or anxious when moving to Malaysia?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I would like to share my personal views and experiences.

Recently I met two people who were from my country would like to settle in Malaysia either by establishing business or job as an expat, asked me various questions. Also during my long stay here i came across many people and had discussions.

Below are the key factors which stress out an individual before getting a Expat Status.

1) Citizenship for children born in Malaysia
2) Selection of school for children
3) Social community from native country
4) Social activities and social security
5) Flight tickets to home country
6) Permanent residency status or Long Term VISA
7) Work permit for spouse & children
8) Cost of living in comparison with own country
9) Driving licence & buying the car/bike.
10) Affordable accommodation either fully furnished or semi.
11) Long term VISA for parents
12) Learning the local language
13) Mobile phone service & Internet service providers
14) Income Tax etc.

My friend gave me a comprehensive book before I started moving to Malaysia which helped me a lot,
Before my joining, Employer invited me to come to Malaysia have a look for area where to stay, children school etc etc. which made me clear about my moving to Malaysia.

I would rather suggest to communicate & seek help from employer's local representative for all above issues to get rid of being stressed out (which i did),
However one may contact group (e.g expat.com) or community for more details.

Thanks
Piyush RANA

First thing for stress reduction is to relax and not worry. There is a solution for everything after you arrive. Only so much can be done beforehand.
If you have an employer, ask for a staff member to befriend you so that you will get help after you arrive.
If you are coming with no employer, its advised to make friends before you come, either with locals or expats, someone who can meet you initially and get you settled.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the Events in Malaysia section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct