How to deal with stress when moving to the Dominican Republic

Moving abroad is no easy feat. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with stress, so we invite you to share some insights regarding this topic.

What are the main factors that contribute to stress when moving to the Dominican Republic (cultural adaptation, moving with family, administrative and bureaucratic issues, language differences, etc.)?

What activities would you recommend to help deal with this type of stress?

What are some techniques that have helped you deal with stress?

Is there a way to avoid being stressed out or anxious when moving to the Dominican Republic?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Well you deal with it the same.way you deal with any other syress in your life. It's no different.

For me there was no stress in moving to the DR. I visited many times before the move. The slower lifestyle lowered my stress considerably. I do however feel stress when I return to the United States. I'm currently working in Southern California for a few months. I have to drive in the traffic. The people here all seem angry about life. Everything here costs so much compared to Santo Domingo. I deal with the stress of being here, by going to flea markets and thrift stores.

I never understood the word stress or what the feeling was like. The same with the word boredom.When making large changes in my life, I thought of them as being a challenge , a problem to solve. I didn't think of the pressure to succeed was stress.  It was fuel to prove to myself that I was correct in my decisions. I've made huge mistakes, but as my mother said," there is no such thing as a mistake, unless you repeat it".  It could be said that I was stressed, but I never knew it.  Now I'm facing the biggest challenge yet.  I'm a few weeks or months from being totally blind. I think & wonder if the doubts, fears & lack of solutions to daily life is stress. I've been fortunate that in my life I've never had to depend on another soul to get me through another day.  Is being pissed off stress?  I am truly pissed off now.  However, I have no target to unleash my feelings upon. Any suggestions?  I am 78 & have no other physical or health issues. How do you define stress? I don't know. Changing countries, climates, cultures, having to make new friends etc Is a wondrous adventure, just do it with a smile & open hearts & eyes. Just do it, just DO IT!!

Tinker i think the  changes you are dealing with now are stressful. If you are not used to coping with stress you may need some help. Someone you can talk to and vent when needed? Something you can beat on to release your frustration?

I dance to get rid of stress, not sure what works for you honey! And lets not go offside on this conversation.

OK, still view moving as an adventure, Who has a definition of stress for me?  Thanks for the advice Planner. I guess being angry is not stress. Sorry for drifting off subject. I thought it was about how to deal with stress. Looks like I'm ignorant on the subject. I've lived on 5 islands & it was always fun. Solving problems is fun. I shall depart fom this subject unless someone asks a direct question that I may be equiped to reply to.

honey anger can be a response to stress! Its not a good coping mechanism though.

Tinker40,   Just start a thread on "Stress and how you coped with it today" I'm sure you will have plenty of people to chime in to give some words of encouragement! What your dealing with is far more to deal with then moving....keep strong.

Everyone here has shared some really insightful tips. I myself have been residing in the Dominican Republic with my now 4-year-old son for over a year. I'm the owner of an online eCommerce store and we sell women pet jewelry and pet products. We also sell sports and outdoor, health and beauty, home and kitchen products. As well as fun apparel for all ages. Now, my biggest struggle thus far has been finding work. Having a side or full-time income would greatly help. But, not having the proper documents in place has resulted in the denial of most jobs in the D.R.  Now, I grew up in Boston, Mass and after 25-years I was deported back to Haiti for things I did in the past but not proud of. All I need is a job that will take me as is for now. Then I can save and get my documents in order and put everything in place. With all that being, D.R. has been pretty cool so far.

One of the big factors I found is understanding there are no real timelines for many things and then going with the flow. Don't expect things to happen on the same type of schedule as we know in North America or even Europe for that matter. Basically, don't put the timelines on yourself or your expectations...