Is Turrialba a "DON'T-BUY" for real estate in Costa Rica

My friend and I want to buy a small farm in La Argentina, Turrialba, but a builder friend warned against it for the following reasons:
* the property owner may have over priced the land
* the active Turrialba volcano and problem of ash, plus eruption threat

I'd like advice from those who know about the area.

holisticdoc wrote:

My friend and I want to buy a small farm in La Argentina, Turrialba, but a builder friend warned against it for the following reasons:
* the property owner may have over priced the land
* the active Turrialba volcano and problem of ash, plus eruption threat

I'd like advice from those who know about the area.

I have never been there but I had a close friend who lived there for several years and loved it.

He was planning to buy a house there, the house he rented.

However he sadly decided to move away due to the danger of the volcano. This was very hard for him to do because he loved the people there and had good friends there (Ticos).

Even though he lived on the side of volcano in the direction which the wind doesn't usually blow, he felt it was too much of a health risk to continue to live there. The volcano is expected to erupt for years to come (this is what I have heard), and one cannot predict in this day and age of global climate change, when the winds might decide to switch directions.

I agree with my friend: I would not buy a home there.

Just heard today, that a friend is leaving the country due to ongoing medical problems with  the pollution caused by the Turrialba and Poás volcanoes. Her husband will remain until they can sell their beautiful home in Atenas. It has already been a year since they first listed it...

If you plan to buy real estate in Costa Rica, looking through the various real estate agents is a great way to determine what type of property you might like to purchase. You may want to rent before purchasing, and it is possible to buy the property with cash at some properties. Real estate in Costa Rica is trendy. There are numerous reasons people might want to invest in real estate in this Central American country. You can work with the guys from https://www.tresamigos-cr.com. They always find me the best offers for my investments.

I bought from the owner without an agent.  Agents want a commission, it's as simple as that.  I was saved the pressure of a sales agent, as well as seeing what I wanted to see, not necessarily what was in the agent's listings.  I did pay cash, both for the lot and then for the building of the house.  Getting money here wasn't all that easy, but it wasn't impossible either.  Just a bunch of hoops to go through, much like getting residency.  You follow the rules and it gets done.  While it's easy to find property and buy, it's much harder to sell - so be sure you want to stay here before you invest.

Have you had issues with the ash from the volcano?

I'm actually about a 45 minute drive away from Turrialba and no, we don't really get the ash much.  The volcano blows in the other direction so we are safely tucked away in the mountains.

Good to hear 😀

We are getting our paperwork in order to bring down with us. We are planning on a ten day exploration most likely starting the first week in oct.  we have lots of loose ends to tie up before we can move, we feel we don't have much time to leave here also. We are listing our properties to sell soon.
They are moving military units all over the states Setting up road blocks. Staffing fema camps. . I don't trust the persons in office. It makes no sense what happened in Afghanistan.  I feel so bad for the people in Australia.

I hope you kept my email addy.  If we are going to talk about personal stuff, then I'd prefer to talk directly to you and not to the whole community.  Your idea of exploration is a good one.  I can tell you about the pros and cons of different general areas, such as beach areas, mountain areas, etc.  Do bring comfortable shoes - very important.

???
Road blocks? Camps?Australia?
Huh?
You listening to infowars or something?

Don't listen to Infowars! Listen to the government sponsored media, they will tell you what you want to hear....although it is all lies. Right Sam?

Henrych wrote:

Don't listen to Infowars! Listen to the government sponsored media, they will tell you what you want to hear....although it is all lies. Right Sam?

I was referring to terramedic911's post which was largely incoherent and I was wondering what kind of news he was getting. Sounded a bit wacky.

I'm not aware of any major lies being told by media such as MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, BBC, PBS, NYT, WaPo, etc.
I AM aware of Major lies being told by Trump, Bannon, Stone, Alex Jones, Fox, OAN, Newsmax etc which are not even news stations, they are Entertainment/Opinion outlets. Alax Jones said the stuff he says is just for entertainment and no one should believe it, for example.

Aware is a keyword..I accept the info based on facts that I am personally aware of. Verified.