Moving to Portugal in August 2018

Hello

I am Ian and originally from the UK and I have been living in Prague for the last 12 months. Prior to Prague I was in Sydney, Australia for 17 years and decided to make the move back to Europe. Prague has been wonderful but I have been missing the beach, blue sky and warmer weather (Its been a long winter) so I am looking at moving to Portugal.

Planning on an 8 week tour of Portugal and then renting somewhere for around 6 months before looking to buy a property (assuming all goes well)
I am looking to meet like minded people and expand my network. I love the outdoor life and it would be great to meet up with people and gain an insight into their experience and any helpful tips are greatly appreciated.

I am very excited about coming to Portugal and I look forward to catching up with people.

Hi Ian,

Portugal is a great place to be and with all that is happening in the world, I consider it to be a safe place too.  I'd rather be here than anywhere else at the moment.

I am sure you will settle down and meet lots of like minded people, there are a lot of ex pats here from all over Europe.

I have a couple of things to mention to you. 

Firstly, there is an organisation called AFPOP (I think it is Association of Property Owners In Portugal), who are very well informed and have some great social events.  You don't need to be a property owner to join and their annual membership entitles you to all sorts of discounts, which amount to far more than the membership fee.   I saved about 100 euros on my car insurance and almost the same on a club membership.  The local private hospital give about a 10% discount too.  So all in all well worth joining...........I'm not on commission - honest!

The second thing is that you are going to struggle to find anywhere for long term rental I August, as most properties are rented out for holidays, as owners can make a tidy profit in that 12 week summer period.   I'm not sure if it is just you or a family, but I have a 3 bed detached house in Lagos that has just become vacant and I am looking to long term rent it - or possibly sell it.  If it's just you, I guess it will be too big.  I'm asking 1,250 euros a month plus bills.

I hope the above helps.

Best wishes.

Heather