Reliability and Availablity of Prescription Medication

Hi all,

I have been trying, in vain, to find out where I will be able to purchase essential prescribed medication in Phnom Penh (and have even contacted the Canadian embassy, but have not received a reply as of yet - insert eye roll emoji). I would prefer to purchase once I get there to minimize questions from Customs/Immigration, but also because the cost will be covered by an employment health insurance plan once there. I just need to make sure I have access to it while I am there. It is a blood thinner called Xarelto. I have an extensive history with DVT's and PE's because of a genetic disposition to blood clotting in addition to an increased risk because of damage to my circulatory system so it is essential to my well being to have this particular blood thinner (I have been taking this brand of blood thinner for at least ten years) as my body does not respond well to other blood thinners.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need to sort out the details as moving day will be here before I know it!

Thank you-
AJ

Pharmacie De La Gare is your best bet for anything like that.
I will check with them for you if you like.

Address: 81Eo Monivong Boulevard, Phnom Penh 12201
Hours: Closed ⋅ Opens 7:30AM Thu
Phone: 023 430 205

;)

Thank you so much, I would really appreciate it if you could next time you are there!

AJ

Give me a couple of days and I will get back to you.

Checked with 2 different pharmacies today and both had your medication in stock.

Very good to help a new arriving expat with where to get certain prescription meds.

Thanks a lot.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Not a problem.

Thanks a lot for checking into that for me Ian, I really appreciate it!

AJ

:top:

Hi

I need Xarelto 20mg too.
Do you know, where I can get it in Phnom Penh and how much is it?

Thanks!

Gary

Hi Gary,

I am not in Phnom Penh just yet, but someone from this forum who lives there was kind enough to check two places that sell prescription drugs and both have Xarelto. Check previous posts to see who and likely he would let you know where.

Best-

AJ

Hi AJ,

thanks for your reply!

I checked two places, no. 1 Pharmacie Am Korn, Xarelto 20mg 28 tablets are $140, no. 2 Pharmacie De La Gare, same $168.
20 mg is very expensive in Cambodia, 15 mg more affordable, but I had a DVT recently and now I need the 20 mg.

Best,
Gary

Hi sorry to pile on, is there a place to check online? I take 200 mg of lamatrogine, 100 mg keppra and 30 mg propranolol daily. Didn't think about it but if my meds run hundreds a month might be a deal breaker for me. They're around $80 a month out of pocket stateside

Thank you for checking into that Gary, that is really helpful. I will plan accordingly.

I am sorry that your experiencing similar medical problems  - I understand both the financial and lifestyle implications all too well.

All the best to you -

Aj

Thanks a lot AJ and you're welcome.
It's my first DVT in my life because of a motorcycle accident.

Hi bigsquirrel,

I‘ve never found an online shop for meds in Cambodia, but you can call the two places I checked before.

Pharmacie Am Korn ‭+855 70 402 643‬
Pharmacie De La Gare +855 93 711 771 or +855 92 711 771

Best,
Gary

Do you really need that specific brand or you can use generic. Just be sure it is from France not from whatever. That might be affordable.

I know my mom before also got her blood thickens and uses adalat . Been many years I dont know if this is still available.

cherry coke wrote:

Do you really need that specific brand or you can use generic. That might be affordable.

Hello.

I think for a new arriving expat like Cheekemonkey it is best to have your meds with you that you and your body are used to. Already enough changes in lifestyle, so best to stick to the "old" medicine.

But once settled here it is indeed worthwhile to explore the world of generics. Many generic meds available here so it is very well possible to find the same ingredients that your original meds contain, but to a much lower price.

What I'm saying is, come over and take your own meds with you, when you are accustomed to your new life start to find out about generics.B ut always good to have an address or two where you can buy the same meds, just in case.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team