Malta working permit

Hello All,

Is an appointment needed to apply for a Malta working permit? It's been more than two weeks now and my employer says they are still waiting for an appointment in order to apply for the permit. Please is this usually the case or has anyone experienced such?

Hi Bratua94,

I created a new topic as from your post on the Malta forum.

I'm assuming you are a non-eu citizen?

If so - not sure with the actual steps they take (they just told me to fill out forms and send), but the whole process from the employer side can take a couple months before it's processed. Be prepared to wait.

Hi JV321,

Thanks for your reply. Yes indeed I'm non-eu. My company has been trying to hasten the process from trying to accredit my degree in Malta to  actually applying for the work permit. The work permit has already been applied for and initially I was told it usually takes 2 weeks. Also looking at some law firms in Malta that take care of such procedures,  it says a minimum of 2 weeks on some of their websites.

So I guess my question to you is this, how long did it take for you to finally get your work permit after your company applied for it? And in what industry is your job?

Bratua94 :

So I guess my question to you is this, how long did it take for you to finally get your work permit after your company applied for it? And in what industry is your job?

I-gaming, and it took 2-3 months before I could move over.

It could be longer though, so you need to be prepared for that and don't look as to what happens with others. My wife is an EU citizen, it took her a full 6 months for her ID card to be processed. A colleague who applied at the same time got hers in 6 weeks.

Consistency when it comes to time-frames in the process is non existent, so you need to dig deep for some patience. If anything, it prepares you for when you get here and sit for a few days in the ID office, which is substantially more frustrating.

Believe it or not, this is the easy part.

Hi JV321,

Thanks for the info. But WOW that's very very discouraging to wait that long. But as you said, I need to dig deep for some patience. My offer also is in the i-gaming industry. Employer applied and was told to accredit my result in Malta which is also it's waiting period. All these waiting and uncertainty kind of makes me regret the job offer I turned down from Canada. Did you also have to go through the whole degree accreditation process too? and was it all worth it in the end for you?

Bratua94 :

Hi JV321,

Thanks for the info. But WOW that's very very discouraging to wait that long. But as you said, I need to dig deep for some patience. My offer also is in the i-gaming industry. Employer applied and was told to accredit my result in Malta which is also it's waiting period. All these waiting and uncertainty kind of makes me regret the job offer I turned down from Canada. Did you also have to go through the whole degree accreditation process too? and was it all worth it in the end for you?

I don't have a degree, but I do have 13 years experience in the field/industry so that covered it in lieu of.

They did need to show there was an honest effort to look for someone local who was qualified for the job. Thankfully for me, there wasn't. Point being though that took up a good month or so in itself as the job needed to be posted locally, interviews had to be done etc.

Keep in mind once you get the work permit, and then get here and the ID card, you will need to renew every 12 months, which means 1-3 months per year you won't be able to leave the country while the renewal is being processed.

Wow. Thanks for the information. Very much appreciated. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long to get the permit. Cos I'm currently not even in my country of origin so the time uncertainty is kinda troubling.