Lake Balaton

Hi,

Is there anyone who moved to Lake Balaton from the Uk?

I am originally from Hungary and my partner is  British. We got two young children and are thinking to move back to Hungary in the north of Lake Balaton area. I was wondering if there are any expats around?

Thanks
Niki

Tweetypie78 wrote:

Hi,

Is there anyone who moved to Lake Balaton from the Uk?

I am originally from Hungary and my partner is  British. We got two young children and are thinking to move back to Hungary in the north of Lake Balaton area. I was wondering if there are any expats around?

Thanks
Niki

Any particular reason for there?

It's a bit quiet during the Winter.

Yes, there are expats in North Lake Balaton. But not a lot. Those here are most German or Austrian. Some British. Beat the bushes hard enough and a couple of Canadians or even an American, like myself, will fall out.

Hi,
I just found this post (3 years later!). I was just wondering if you still live in Hungary? Or maybe you can recommend english speaker groups. My husband is American and he has a very hard time to fit in. We live in Balatonalmadi.

Thank you!
Livia

Hi Niki,
Did you guys move to Hungary after all? We live in Balatonalmadi. My husband is American and I am looking for a group where he can speak English with other foreigners.
I hope you still see this message.
Thanks,
Livia

I am sure that person is gone by now... I am an American citizen but my house is in Budapest... Good luck!!

Thank you! Yes, good luck we need to find somebody to talk to before my husband goes crazy. He is awfully homesick as it is, and wants to move back.

I don't see too many members here unfortunately.

Thank you for your reply! 🙂

Livia Kretsch wrote:

Thank you! Yes, good luck we need to find somebody to talk to before my husband goes crazy. He is awfully homesick as it is, and wants to move back.

I don't see too many members here unfortunately.

Thank you for your reply! 🙂

Doesn't he have any hobbies or maybe some work to do?   

There should be plenty of opportunities to fill the time.

GuestPoster279 is long gone but we know who he is - he's here.

BTW, best to use the Quote button otherwise no-one knows to whom your replies or messages are addressed.  Thanks.

I wanted to move there from Canada but couldn't find a job for English speakers.

Hi Livia,
There is a group on FB, called Brits is Hungary the friendly group. They are all kind people, try that one. We are moving soon too, my husband would be in the same situation :(

Hi Helen,

Thank you so much, I'll check that group.

I feel bad for you and us. It was so much sacrifice and effort to come here and drives me crazy the thought that we have to start the whole ordeal all over. I was born here and somehow I remembered differently, only the good things stuck in my memory. Are you from the US or England?

Thank you again!
Livia

There is always this platform to chat and there is this Absolutely Anything Else.

Jeffrey Kretsch wrote:

Hi Helen,

Thank you so much, I'll check that group.

I feel bad for you and us. It was so much sacrifice and effort to come here and drives me crazy the thought that we have to start the whole ordeal all over. I was born here and somehow I remembered differently, only the good things stuck in my memory. Are you from the US or England?

Thank you again!
Livia

I see the bike in the profile picture - another forum member aries25au also has a bike in his picture. Mutual interest and all that.

Hi Livia,
I am Hungarian as well, my husband is British. If you want don't hesitate to contact us on FB, we have join account, happy to have a chat. My hubby would be in the same shoes as yours I guess 😢

Hi, we are in Balatonalmadi. My husband is American, I am Hungarian. This is a very nice area. There is an american school in almadi.

Maybe in Budapest, you could find a job if you speak only in English, but it depends on what you do. I always see companies looking for engineers or programmers or similar. My husband has a really hard time with this, especially because we live in Veszprem county.

In Almàdi I feel always at home. All my summers diuring my childhood my family spent there. (At that time I had to carry the water from the valley 2 km to öreghegy, Bathànyi ut near the outlook!
Where in Almàdi do you stay? Yo can reply also to me using  ***
Greetings and I wish you to discover the local Switzerland /actually better than that now/
in Almàdi!
Jànos

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Livia,

I just found your post, my husband and I are Canadian and we live in Tapolca which is not that far from Almadi, we are also Magyar, if you are still living in Almadi we would like to chat

Rose and Attila

I am also Hungarian originaly and my husband is American. We moved to lake Balaton 5 years ago. As much as I love it here (Balatonalmadi), we (mostly my hubby) regretted the move. I know that Hungary grew a lot in recent years, but a person from a more advanced country  like the UK, will most likely  see  the shabby side of Hungary.  These things we can't get used to: neigbors piling leftover roof tiles (from 40 years ago) , mountain of old buckets, bricks  in their backyard facing your nice garden.
Ugly fence everyvhere! Chicken wire for front yard fence!!
All sorts of shabby buildings, visible from even your windows unless you have 30m tall trees. Unused outhouses,  smoker shacks,  corrigated roof on whatever ugly stuff they can cover.
The food is very different in restorants. If your husband like the Hungarian cuisine, or mostly eat at home than you are ok. We like to go out, but forget about a good stake or deceant seafood. There are no breakfast places except bakeries ( those are on every corner).
Hungarian language is super difficult to learn and not everyone speaks english here. Actually we found out: very few people speak English.
Any stuff needs to be taken care of, it will be all on you!
However, there are lots of things good around here.
If you move, I hope you come around Balatonalmádi.
I didn't add my two sence about moving here in wartimes. Nobody knows how things end. Let's pray for no more destruction!

Hi Rose,
How do you like Hungary again? Everything you remembered?
Livia🙂

Hi Livia,

Im so happy you found my post, we live in Tapolca, I am from Canada, but of Hungarian origin , Ive visited Hungary many times so I knew what it is like,  I know for north American eyes all the things you mentioned can be depressing....my husband is originally from here Hungary and he is the one having a hard time readjusting to life here...   Where in the US is your husband from?

Hi Livia,

Any chance we could meet somewhere to chat in person, we'd have sooo much to talk about,

@Guest 83

Hi Niki,

Sorry, I am always so late finding my messages 😂.

It would be nice to talk *****

Livia
Moderated by Djameel last year
Reason : Please share contact details via private message, thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
@Guest 83

Hi Niki,

Sorry, I am always so late finding my messages 😂.
It would be nice to talk *********

********@gmail.com

Livia
- @Livia Kretsch
Its not allowed to post personal details on the open forum, this is for your own safety.

Sadly Guest83 is no longer a member of the site.

SimCityAT
Expat Team
Im an American married to a Hungarian and in summer we stay at our cottage in Zamardi. There are a couple of expats and English speakers in the area and we meetup from time to time.

While I cannot give you details here (as such will be asterisked out and i might get banned), I'd suggest checking out and leveraging [link under review]. There you'll find social groups that might be interesting to you and your husband. I for one enjoy a creative writing group based in Budapest. There are also groups for activities like cycling, hiking, as well as subject matter like programming.

While I don't expect much in Almadi perhaps you could start a group?
Im an American married to a Hungarian and in summer we stay at our cottage in Zamardi. There are a couple of expats and English speakers in the area and we meetup from time to time.

While I cannot give you details here (as such will be asterisked out and i might get banned), I'd suggest checking out and leveraging [link under review]. There you'll find social groups that might be interesting to you and your husband. I for one enjoy a creative writing group based in Budapest. There are also groups for activities like cycling, hiking, as well as subject matter like programming.

- @Eric Hofer

Just share personal details by sending a private message. Posting personal details on the open forum, the whole world can see them.

- @Eric Hofer

Ah Zamardi, I pass through it cycling.    We spend a few weeks each summer a few miles further down the lake.  One of my cycle routes is to Balatonfoldvar, then Szantod, then Balatonfured via the "coast" paths, ferry to Siofok (takes 1h), then back along the coast through Zamardi and back to the starting point.