Quora (question and answer social media site)

It's a little odd mentioning other social media sites here, since of course plenty exist.  People don't discuss Facebook here for a reason; it's just not relevant.  This site might not be familiar, though, and it does tie in to what expat.com is about, and people reading around here might like taking a look at it. 

One prompt for mentioning Quora is being named a 2018 "Top Writer." Let's get that part out of the way, mentioning a summary of what the site is about and what that "badge" means in this post:

http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.co … ition.html

I've written a good bit about Thailand in answers (where I am an expat), and also about visiting Russia on a vacation, about different themes that came up there.  Anything people feel like asking about can be a topic, so foreign culture and expat themes come up too.  It's probably obvious enough I'm talking most about tea there.

To me it's nicer than social media sites like Facebook and Twitter for being based on ideas as content as a main theme, versus link or picture sharing, or conversation.  That leads to participants filtering themselves out if they're interested in looking at pictures or getting in arguments instead.  With participants being mostly US and Europe based (my perception, at least) it's not as clearly a good location-oriented reference as this site is, but different forms of social media work towards different purposes. 

If the subject of local discussion comes up I'll mention expat.com.  I just checked that, since of course I don't remember details of what I post, and one on Thailand travel tips did mention here:

What are the best tips and tricks for people visiting Thailand?

I have participated on Quora for a while, but because of too many emails (that I wasn't able to unsubscribe from) and many irrelevant questions (I never asked one myself, only answered), I closed my account there.

It wouldn't be for everyone, asking or answering questions as a form of social media interaction.  If it didn't seem interesting looking around at other answers I'd expect it would get old to do either.

I do get a lot of notifications from them, now that you  mention it.  Gmail filters mine into primary and social categories so it's easy to check on the notices and to mostly tune them out.

Quora rocks!
Maybe one day soon the novelty will wear off for me.
But until then: Quora rocks !

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR