Questions....

Hello Everone!  I am new to the forum.  My husband and I will be retiring in a year and are in search of a good place to move.  We are in our upper 60's.
We are coming down from Florida (with our grown children for vacation...they won't be moving down) the last two weeks of July to look around.  We are not gated community types, all inclusive vacation resort types or cruise boat for vacation types.  We have been to Costa Rica and Panama where we drove around for a few weeks staying in last minute places and always felt comfortable and safe there. We don't speak Spanish although our son speaks a small amount for this trip.  We plan to learn Spanish.

The internet is full of horror stories about renting cars and driving there.  We haven't had a problem other places.  Also , there is so much on the travel sites about driving out into the country and seeing things and doing activities but almost ALWAYS says that the activities people pick you up from your all inclusive resort and bring you to the activities.  We don't want a resort. So...QUESTIONS:  Is it SAFE (as in people won't rob us or something seeing a bunch of gringos driving around) to rent a car and drive around?  Is it TOO dangerous (as in physically/crash dangerous) to drive there? Can we drive to the interior and see the beauty of the country safely?  Where is the best diving?  We love living and eating among the locals........is this safe to do?  Can we just drive to attractions and do them ourselves without staying at a resort?

My extensive search on the internet, esp Trip Advisor, has made me leery about even visiting.  People paint a pretty scary picture of the locals unless you are in a resort.  That's why I am asking for an honest assessment from you folks that live there.  There is a big difference in living there and visiting in a resort.

So...is this the type of place, like Costa Rica or Panama, that the locals are kind and don't bother you?  I would love your perspective and some feedback on my questions as I want to book flights and set up some BnB's now instead of waiting. 

I thank you ahead of time for your time and insight.  You all seem are so kind to help others sift through truth from fiction.

SooC

Reality is  people will blast out the bad and never say anything when it is good. That is one reason you hear the horror stories so much more often than the good.

My experience is that while it is reasonably safe to drive in terms of crime it is a crap shoot in terms of accidents and stupid stupid drivers. You need eyes in all directions all the time. Never assume someone will follow the rules.  In driving this is the wild wild west.

yes you can do site seeing and excursions and not stay at the resorts!!!! 

Best diving I believe is in Samana / Las Terrenas area.

Live and eat amongst the locals -  YES  it is safe.  Just be smart, dont flash expensive anything or money.

We were in Sosua for 2 weeks in February, and rented a car.  Drove it every day, and out to Samana and Las Terrenas, and back through the outskirts of San Francisco de Macoris. Drove into Puerto Plata, and into Cabarete regularly.  I agree, driving is VERY different here, but not impossible.  You do need to forget all the rules of the road, and remember that everyone else has, too, mostly the scooters and motos.  We had no problems at all with a rental car, or anything else for that matter.  I feel the problems may arise if there was a collision, or something of that nature.  We loved the drive through the Las Terrenas new coastal highway, and the drive up highway 21 is gorgeous, but you had better be a great driver up and down those twisty mountain turns.  We are moving here in the fall, and can't wait.  This 2 week exploration was all it took to convince us that the DR is our new home.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Thank you for all of your information!  I greatly appreciate it!!

The above is true as you will see on your vacation. I've driven all over the island on motorcycle & by car. Never a problem, it can get hectic & crazy for sure as it can be in any large city. However it is hectic pretty much over the areas of high tourist destinations. Come, explore & be amazed at the topography, the people & the climate. Pay particular attention to the North shore, my favorite, I live there.

I would like to add some comments.
This is my fourth time here, the first were just 2 or 3 week vacations, but this time I've been here 4 months. Initially I was a little intimidated, but learned to adjust fairly quickly. I drive Canada's busiest highway every day so being attentive came second nature to me. This trip I have traveled from Punta Cana twice to Sousa and Las Terrenes skirting Santo Domingo with no issues (other than a speeding bribe). I regularly travel into Higuey with no problem (other than the one way streets). Everyone tells me NOT to drive in Santo Domingo and for the time being I'm going to heed that advise. To make a long story short, it all depends what kind of driving you regularly do. If your used to long country roads with little traffic you will have a problem (IMHO) but if your used to big city driving you should be okay.

Another issue is visual pollution. There are often so many signs / posters / advertising  everywhere that it can be hard to figure out where you need to be going.  It's easy to get distracted by it all.

I often say you need to drive defensively aggressive here! Survival of the fittest.

I agree with all of he above.  We have been here full time now for 12 years in the Sosua/Cabarete area and have not looked back for  a second.

Driving as stated is very dangerous and tricky but can be done.  Make sure your rental includes full insurance and the "casa de conductore".  This means that if you are in an accident instead of gong to jail while they figure it out (read here how it is your fault and how much it is going to cost you) they send you to a hotel where there in insurance folks to help you out.  In 12 years this week I was hit by a moto (third time this has happened) and though not my fault I was able to resolve it by paying the idiot 2000 pesos.   Now have to pay 4000 pesos to fix my car.

As to the locals we find for the most part they are friendly, helpful and fun to interact with.

Good luck

Bob K

Jeepers Bob, you are a motorcycle magnet.

Planner, you also attracted a moto a while back. Are you back to driving yet, any residual injury effects? Any plans in the works for the N. shore expat get together?

That was 2 1/2 years ago Tinker.  Yup residual issue with my left shoulder but I carry on.

I am on the north  coast April 6 to 20 so a meet up is definately a good idea.

Sorry about  your shoulder. Have you tried Kuatsu?  I'm familiar with it.  Let's get Bob K to help with organizing it. Maybe Tom Cabrera can help also. Igolac & a couple of others live in the vicinity.   Will be good to have beers with you again.  Anyone with ideas for it chime in. Suggestions welcome.

We'd love to join (as long as we're not working)!

It wouldn't be during your working hours, most likely on the weekend.  Drinks this weekend?

Sounds good!

For me the best day will be Saturday April 14th.  maybe  3pm, so I can go to the beach FIRST!!!! 

Thoughts on that???

I'm Ok with it, depends on the majority consent.  Speak up you philistines!

Sounds good.

Hahahahaha  Tinker you are crazy.

I better be, going blind ain't any fun. I gotta laugh while I can.  Yo ain't so much on the sanity path yo self ya know, yo ridn da "A Train" express!

We had a car for the first time when we were there the end of February. I was initially very leery. But it turned out ok. And, it was nice to have the mobility. Robert drove much better than I thought!! Lolol. One thing we did have going for us is that our car was not a rental so no one tried to engage us deliberately.

If you go to Sosua, Natura Village is a nice place to stay. Only 7 units. Little pool. Walking distance to beach and grocery. Elisabetta owns/runs it. I can give you more info if you like. We have a place up the hill from there that we bought in January.

We will be there from July 5-11. It will be hot, hot, hot. I hope the new beach will still be there. 😎🌴🕉

Thanks so much for this info!!! I will check out this place you mention.  I know it will be hot....we live near Orlando so we know about HOT in July!  Hopefully there will be a breeze!

We came from Orlando area as well. You'll be fine here in the summer!

SooC  I had to spend some time just north of Orlando. ( Orange City)  (95 degrees here is NOT the same 95 as there.  The trades, ocean breezes, & usually lower humidity make it pleasant. Add the beach & ocean. the short ride into the milder climes of the hills & mountains. There is no comparison.  Fans & cold libations, the sound of laughter, Latin music, muffled curses of the domino players, rustle of palm fronds,  it sure ain't central Florida in July or any other month of the year. Of course, the roosters here can't tell time.

Thanks!  Y'all are making it sound so nice there!!!  Will let you know what our final plans are as soon as we know.  Sounds like you have a wonderful community of friends supporting each other! 😁

http://www.bungalow-naturavillage.com/s … ex.php/en/

Thanks.  Brian, you see that? let me know. My eyes can't read it.