New expat in Romania - Administrative procedures

Hello,

I'm a Swiss citizen and a new expat in Romania. I arrived in Iași the 12th March.

I already know a few things about what needs to be done in terms of paperwork, but I'd like to be sure I don't forget anything.

What has been or is being done right now:

1. I contacted a local private health insurance. I will need it to request my Registration Certificate at the IGI. Already filled the questionnaire and returned it to the agent. The only one thing that worries me is that there was a field for the CNP on it, which I couldn't fill, of course, as I precisely need this health insurance to get my CNP at the IGI. Waiting for an answer from the agent. Hope it will be all good as I provided her a copy my passport and my identity card.

2. I asked the landlord to register the rental contract for my flat at the ANAF, as I've read here that it is mandatory. It will be done one of these days.

3. I started my registration to the unemployment office but I will need my Registration Certificate to finalize it. I will continue to be paid by the Swiss unemployment administration for three months as I asked for the exportation of my rights (with the U2 form, etc.). In the meantime, I'm doing what is called "intermediate gain" by working from home on call for my former employer (I have a contract for that).

Next steps:

4. Go at the IGI and ask for my Registration Certificate. I have all the possible legal documents translated in Romanian and apostilled. As I don't have any real work for now (I don't have sufficient and regular incomes for the very long term yet, this is what I mean) I will have to register as someone who has means of subsistence (I have savings on a Swiss bank account).

Here is my first question:
Do I need to have a Romanian bank account or can I show them a document with my savings on my Swiss bank account?

Note that my expatriation is definitive and so I want to ask for the Permanent Residence Card. Thing is, on the Swiss documentation I had in Switzerland, it was written that you have to ask for it in the first three months after your arrival in Romania but that is not at all what I understand when I read the informations I can find here in Romania. Here, I understand that we must have already lived at least five years in Romania before we can ask for the Permanent Residence Card.

So here comes my second question:
What is the correct information/procedure about the Permanent Residence Card?

And then what?

And here are my last questions and incertitudes:
Where do I register for taxes?
What am I forgetting?

Also, my professionnal situation is a bit special, because I'm still officialy registered as an unemployed both in Switzerland and in Romania, totally legally, and at the same time I'm still working a few hours per month on call and from home to do intermediate gain (which I have to declare in Switzerland so the difference (with my assured gain) can be paid by the unemployment administration), and this for a maximum of three months.

So, but...

Is there something I should do about this situation, here, in Romania, to be sure everything is totally legal in terms of taxes? I mean, how do I declare my incomes? Do I have to go at the ANAF and give them a copy of my contract? Or once I will get a CNP, everything will be done automatically and they will contact me when the time to pay comes?

Once again, my expatriation is definitive. I announced it to all the possible authorities in Switzerland and so also to the tax department, which means I'm gonna pay taxes in Switzerland until the 12th March 2018. So I'll have to pay my taxes in Romania from this date.

Sorry for this very long message but I really needed to explain my situation as best I could so I can get the proper help and informations.

Thank you for reading so far if you did and thanks a lot in advance to anyone who will want to help and enlighten me at least a very little bit.

Nolan

I'm an American citizen on a pension from my employer, so I will not work here. I did need an official reason to be here so I got a Volunteer Contract from a local registered NGO that satisfied Imigrare.
The only thing you haven't mentioned that I needed  was a properly worded certificate from a doctor assuring my good health. The necessary wording was contained in the papers Imigrare gave me when I initially applied. I was not asked for any financial records, even though I had them.

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

On my side, I don't think I'll need an "official reason" to be here as I should probably have the permission to register as a person who has "means of subsistence", for a time at least, and as I am a Swiss citizen (so not european, but the agreements are the same), things should probably be simpler.

I indeed have been told at the unemployment office that I will need a certificate from a doctor about my "good" health, but I don't know if it is for them or if it is indeed for the immigration. Anyway, that should be OK too.

That being said, I still need infos about how things will happen with taxes, if I have to go at ANAF or wherever I don't know, or if once I'll have my Registration Certificate, things will happen "by themselves".

If romaniac passes by here:

I would really be very grateful if you could enlighten me a little bit about my incertitudes and the potential procedures I may be forgetting, as I can see you're probably the most knowledgeable person on these topics here, and your answers are often really helpful.

I wanted to contact you in private but you disabled this option.

Best regards,

Nolan

Hi Nolan,
Regarding your first question:
"Do I need to have a Romanian bank account or can I show them a document with my savings on my Swiss bank account?"
Yes, in order to prove your that you have the money you have to have a bank statement from a Romanian bank.

"What is the correct information/procedure about the Permanent Residence Card?"
Being a Swiss citizen you can apply first for a Registration certificate, "Certificatul de inregistrare" that give you the CNP (personal tax identification number). This certificate will be issued in the same day by the "Oficiul Inspectoratului General pentru Imigrari" and is valid up to 5 years. If you plan to stay more that 3 monts in Romania you have to rapply for Residency card ,"Cartea de rezidenta", that is your case. This one will be issued in less than 90 days by the same Oficiul Inspectoratului General pentru Imigrari from your Romanian city.

Depending on your reason for staying in Romania you will find out there or on the internet what documents you need for the registration process.

"Where do I register for taxes?"

Depending on your activity here you can do it in 2 ways: be a self employed : and you can ask an accountant to do the taxes for you or to start a limited company (that is more convenient in some cases) and also ask an accountant to do it for you.

It is a bit of hassle to deal with ANAF by yourself so you will find easier thru an accountant.

Hope this will help you clarify it a bit.

Best regards,
Alex