Rental Contract Terms - Advice

Hi there,

I would like to find out about Dutch residential rental contracts. I am currently in a fixed term contract for a year which will end at the end of April. According to the contract, if we terminate early, we are obliged to pay the outstanding rent for the rest of the year. Is this normal? I have seen that a notice period ranges from 1 to 3 months. So then wouldn't I just pay the rent for the time that I occupied the apartment? Or does this just apply to rental contracts for indefinite periods rather than fixed term? Is it possible to discuss changing from fixed term to indefinite with my landlord?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I think the relevant word here is "contract".  When you enter into a contract with anybody, there are terms that both sides agree to at the time of the agreement.  If you've agreed to a contract stating that you will occupy the place for 12-months, then it's reasonable for the Landlord to expect you to honour your side of the contract; just as you would expect him/her to honour their side.

Yes, you can request changing to an indefinite contract, but the landlord doesn't have to agree to it and he can still terminate your contract should you breach any of the terms (so, late paying rent).  Indefinite contracts are still subject to rent increases; there will normally be a clause indicating a review date for this purpose.

My advice is to speak to your Landlord.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team