Moving to Netherlands for a short time

I'm moving soon to Netherlands for a shot period (4months) of traineeship and I wanted to know if it will be really useful to open a Dutch bank accounts in my case ?
Thank you for your help !
Valentine

Hi Valentine and welcome to the Forum.

Assuming you already have a bank account with the ability to access your account remotely (i.e. online banking, cash machines etc), then I wouldn't have thought so.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic,
Thank you for your answer, that's kind of you !

But do you know if there is any taxes on salary because of a French bank account ?
Ok so you think it's not essential for my case ?

Thanks for your help,
Valentine.

Hi Valentine,

Where you pay taxes is dependent on where you live.  With regards to paying taxes specifically, there is a general residence rule of 183 days; so assuming you're French, coming to Holland to work for 4 months, then returning to France, then you just need to register at the local Town Hall where you live; this link will download a PDF document to your PC that explains the process.  If you are working for a Dutch entity in your 4 months in Holland, then they will deduct any necessary taxes from your salary; likewise, if you are working for a French entity.  You do not need to declare your salary to the Dutch Belastingdienst.

Once you have registered, you'll get a BSN number; when you have that, should you need to open a bank account, then you can.  It will also enable any Dutch employer to deduct any taxes.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team