Cooking like a local in the Seychelles

Hello,

Enjoying the local food of your expat country is great, but learning to cook the dishes yourself is even better. Please share what it's like cooking like a local in the Seychelles.

What are some of the most popular local dishes that are easy to prepare?

What are the most common ingredients used in dishes in the Seychelles? Where can you purchase them?

Is there a specific technique or a secret ingredient to master the local cuisine?

Are there resources available to teach you to cook like a local (classes, websites, etc.)?

What are the advantages of learning to prepare local dishes in the Seychelles?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi,
I love cooking and was looking forward to discover the real Kreol food.  Since I have moved to the here, I have learned to cook few dishes with locals.
In Seychelles people love rice, they eat rice everyday at all the meals.
The most common and easy food you can learn to cook is the curry, you have two types of curries, coconut or plain. Both ways to cook it are easy but for me the coconut curry is the best in terms of test. You can cook every kind of meat or fish in a curry. My favorite curries are salted beef, chicken and octopus. Very easy to cook once you have learned the bases.
Red lentils is very common in Seychellois food, same thing very easy and an be done different ways. Here they like to put salted sausages inside, some people put eggs, some put salted meat or you can eat it just plain. Me I cook it with coconut milk and then I add whatever I have.

If you love fish, same thing here very easy to cook Creole way, you can grill it in the pan or on BBQ with a nice creole sauce. You can also fried it, and it with a tomato/onion salad or with a Bouyon Bred which is a kind of spinach, in some countries they call it Moringa (Very healthy)

https://goo.gl/images/khuYVP

Seychellois people will always have some kind of salad or chutney to eat with their main course, it can be mix green salad, a pumpkin, mango, golden apple or papaya (green) chutney. the chutney is very easy to prepare, you basically just grate your chosen fruits, put it in salted water for 10min, remove all water from the grated fruits, and cook in a pan with some onions, fresh spices (thym, parsley) some lemon or vinegar. For the Pumpkin you have to boil it first, then you mash them and mix with spices, lemon, salt pepper, oil and onion.
I put a link to a website with some recipes.
https://theseychellescookbook.wordpress.com/5-2/

There are some hotels who offers cooking classes but it is a bit pricy, it is better to learn with locals, I find that seychellois men do better cooking. Will be happy to help if you have any questions.

Lindy