Cooking like a local in Ghana

Hello,

Enjoying the local food of your expat country is great, but learning to cook the dishes yourself is even better. Please share what it's like cooking like a local in Ghana.

What are some of the most popular local dishes that are easy to prepare?

What are the most common ingredients used in dishes in Ghana? Where can you purchase them?

Is there a specific technique or a secret ingredient to master the local cuisine?

Are there resources available to teach you to cook like a local (classes, websites, etc.)?

What are the advantages of learning to prepare local dishes in Ghana?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello there hope u enjoying ur stay in ghana. Honestly i ve only tried a local dish called FUFU WITH GROUND NUT sauce it s a very tasty dish but as far as i know it takes a lot of effort to prepare it all the locals know how to cook and they r friendly so u can ask them. As for the ingrediants u can get them from anywhere road side market plce and it healthy and cheap

As long as you like chillies you will like Ghanaian food. I personally prefer bank to fufu but like groundnut soup with okra. Jollof rice is popular as is waakye (rice and beans). Red red is a dish most foreigners like - fried plantain with beans. Fried yam with pepper sauce is a popular street food as is kenke with fish.
In the mornings and evenings egg and bread is served at the taxi stations and other places.
I love Ghanaian food and cook my version of it most of the time but my husband cooks fufu and soup on Sunday - but the fufu is out of a packet.
Local ingredients are easily available at local markets.