Transportation in Dar

How much money should you pay the local people in Dar a day for there services.  How much to rent a car for a day or week ( small car ).  Last we paid 200,000,00 to go from the Airport to Oyster bay, is this a  good price.

Thank you all

If you paid that amount for a taxi fare, then you were ripped off. A taxi from the airport to Oysterbay should cost not more than 50,000. Depending on how well you can bargain, it could cost from ~25,000 - 35,000 to get there. I'm not sure how much it costs to rent a car but I can give you some advice on how much you should pay to get around by taxi in Dar. Within town, aka Posta, the fair would cost not more than 5,000 to get from A to B, e.g. new post office to kivukoni. Getting to Posta from other locations, such as Mwenge, for example, would cost about 15,000. BTW, taking a bajaj costs less and gets you to your destination a lot faster than a taxi would. Remember to bargain.

I dearly appreciate your advise, this guy knows we are new, yes we have found out he took our money and it is sad. We meet him on this site so I am trying to make sure he does not steal anyone else money.  I am from American and most have been told bad things like this so many are afraid to come to Africa/  I love it here and I am trying to get more to come but people like City guide are making it hard

why don't u use uber or taxify?

is not good price u pay

Some people get tempted to overcharge when someone makes enquiries in English. They assume you are a foreigner who has little knowledge of the actual prices of services and products in the city, and use it to their advantage. Also, never step into a taxi, bajaj or boda boda without enquiring about the price and coming to an agreement with the driver lest you come across an unscrupulous driver who'll charge a ridiculously high amount as he sees fit, and when you reach your destination, he'll be telling you something like, "Well, I got you here, and this is the cost, so pay up!". This actually happened to someone I know.

Fortunately, not all the locals have this mentality. I think it all depends on how one was raised and his/her sense of morality. During your stay you will notice that many locals are actually quite eager to help tourists get around. They don't charge anything for giving directions, and sometimes if it is within walking distance, they'll even take you there personally without demanding anything.

What a foreigner can do is learn some basic Swahili - starting with figures, simple enquiries about directions, prices, and time, so they would be in a better position to negotiate.

Also, I recommend grabbing free copies of "advertising dar", which is issued weekly, or "Dar Guide", and "Dar Life", which are issued monthly. These local magazines are available at bureaux de change and malls/department stores such as City Mall, Mlimani City, Shoppers Plaza and others. They have details of services and companies you would find very useful during your stay, plus you can keep up to date with current events and find other useful tourist information.

Don't let this incident spoil your holiday and make you and your friends feel too disheartened to explore the country. Relax and enjoy your stay in TZ. All the best!

On my last visit to TZ, upon arrival to DSM airport, I noticed a Taxi stand with all the prices in TShillings to any part of town. Our rendezvous couldn't make it to the airport to pick us up due to gridlock on the airport road  so I took a taxi from the stand and was charged TShillings 60,000.-  to our hotel in town, which converting to GB Sterling seemed a reasonable rate. The driver was friendly, the cab was airconditioned and he (the driver) knew all the little side streets to avoid congestion and got us to our destination in approx. an hr. I gave him a sizeable tip at the end of the journey.
When I finally hooked up with my rendezvous he told me that that price was very reasonable.

One piece of advice for visitors in TZ, if you're happy with the service you've been given, TIP!! usually 10% of the charge is my guideline.

hello just back from tanzania..
i pay 20,000 tsh airport to town so for you oyster bayb 25,000 is ok. 200,000 mean 100 usd ..

regards
rishi

No its not.  Thats like 100 usd.. no way..unless u were shopping around the city before being drop at destination