What's it like Living in the Philippines May to October

Hi, only visited the Philippines in the cooler less humid months, wandering how do your retirees (65+) cope in the 'low lands' (excepting Tagaytay , Bagio, etc)  during May-October

Air con, no leaks in the roof

Mugtech said it all, without Aircon for sure i will die, I am not good with humidity at all, this is one reason I am going back to Australia.

Lived 2 years in Oz and acclimatised to Australian Summers (mostly dry not humid). So as an Ozie you find the Philippines unbearable?. I'm excepting Manilla in this query. Thinking of retiring in Laguna area!!, near to but not too close to partners family. Anyone have info of the summer month conditions there?  Would prefer Tagaytay for its altitude and cooler climate, but reasonable quality value accommodation is difficult to find. Travelling back and forth to UK to avoid hot humid summers  in my retirement would become more difficult as I age and costly.

So what do you wise retirees suggest? Philippines hot humid summers are not suitable/sufferable for an ageing retiree?

Thanks for your advice

You have the right idea, look into Tagaytay or Baguio if you want to be comfortable.

Forget Baguio, it is to busy and when comes to any holidays to much pollution, I have not been to Tagaytay yet, but every one keeps saying is nice to live in.

Trouble with Tagaytay its expensive for a 'Rabbit Hutch' condo

kilgore99 wrote:

Trouble with Tagaytay its expensive for a 'Rabbit Hutch' condo

Because of the weather, same as Baguio.  Sounds like you might want to find the cheapest air conditioned place available.

From my experience. Tagaytay is much hotter than Baguio and you will still be sweating. Baguio is the only place I've been too,where there is no need for aircon.

Um!! I suppose comparing lowland/highland locations I should compare the relevant rents/purchase of accommodation to allow for the cost of aircon.  Aircon costs of  up to $100 month could make the higher rents in Tagaytay/Bagion reasonable.

Thanks All

Um!! I suppose comparing lowland/highland locations I should compare the relevant rents/purchase of accommodation to allow for the cost of aircon. Aircon costs of up to $100 month could make the higher rents in Tagaytay/Bagion reasonable.

Thanks All
-@kilgore99

$300/month more likely these days.

Um!! I suppose comparing lowland/highland locations I should compare the relevant rents/purchase of accommodation to allow for the cost of aircon. Aircon costs of up to $100 month could make the higher rents in Tagaytay/Bagion reasonable.

Thanks All
-@kilgore99
$300/month more likely these days.
-@mugteck

A few months ago when Bileco was charging almost P24 per kwh that was true. The cost has steadily decreased and was down to P14.1 per kwh last month. Our last electric bill was just over P12,000 and we run the aircon all day on the ground floor and all night in the master bedroom, not too bad for a 220 sm house. I have also been running the pool filter around the clock during the hot weather to keep the chlorine level up and the electric dryer is used daily.

@Moon Dog I feel good about 9600p last month. Before I moved in, my gal only ran a window AC occasionally at night and her avg electric bill was around 3k php. Now with me replacing that old ac in the bedroom and putting AC in the front room/dining area we're over 8k every month. I'm okay with that. I used to pay over $300 per month to cool the house in Las Vegas during the summer.

Report from rural Central Luzon --

Beyond the humidity, there is rain most afternoons.  As I'm typing this (4pm), there's a moderate shower.  Mornings vary from clear to partly cloudy to cloudy and cool.  Cool by Philippine standards, not USA!  Standing outside today at the pharmacy (shaded) there was a nice breeze, moderate humidity, and smiles on everyone's faces.

The southwest monsoon begins irregularly in April, which is a relief because it breaks up the heat.  By June, most afternoons with bring a shower, sometimes a thunderstorm.  It can rain HARD during some of these storms.  Largely free of damaging winds, thank you, Lord.

So we do our shopping and errands in the mornings.  When duty calls in the afternoon, take your umbrella with you.  It is remarkable that schools, trade, construction, and so on all continue unfazed by the rain.  Tricycles and motorbike pull over momentarily to don some rain gear and rain curtains (on the tricycles and kolong-kolongs).  Doesn't seem to hamper any activities including farming.  Tractors are out in the field right now mucking things up for the next rice crop.  (Starts soon.)

Have umbrellas -- good ones -- in the van, scooter, by door, etc.  Never know when you'll need it.  Many Filipinas seem to have them year-round.  If not for the rain, then to keep from baking in the sun.

Weather is def a consideration here.  It's hot all the time and rainy (afternoons) pretty much every day.  Have a plan to work around the norms and you'll be fine.  How these fellows can work construction for 8 hours a day, six days a week is completely beyond me!

One note on aircon -- I need to have it, you probably will too.  But there's a big different in cost between a thermostat setting of 22c and 26c.  (72f, 79f)  Also, most nights you can get by with just a fan.

I can't NN3, the A/C runs in our B/R @ 26 degrees (used to be 27 but as I get older,,, 12 hours a day/night, through the day we deal with it as little different to tropical Queensland Oz that I am used to but Q/L seems to cool down at night unlike here. Ceiling fans are a winner.

The rain I welcome, we went like 4 to 5 months with a dribble on the coast here ( thanks to who ever is up there for finally giving us some decent rain) and you are correct the workers keep marching on @ 5 and 600 pesos a day, the electrician @ 700 per day,,,,, they seem happy.

As for the OP's question? If you're used to a tropical climate then you won't notice much of  difference.

Cheers, Steve.

Spent a lot of time in Tagaytay, weather is good there, pool is too cold to swim! Nice breeze to keep you cool so air con not needed too much. It is expensive land however, I think over 15k/sqm currently. Was looking for some larger lots. I found that Lipa City also stays cool and protected by mountains, and land is much cheaper. Tagaytay is great for tourist attractions but once you have been a few times, it doesnt add value. Restaurants are great tho

NN3M/DU3 said:

Report from rural Central Luzon --
Beyond the humidity, there is rain most afternoons. As I'm typing this (4pm), there's a moderate shower. Mornings vary from clear to partly cloudy to cloudy and cool. Cool by Philippine standards, not USA! Standing outside today at the pharmacy (shaded) there was a nice breeze, moderate humidity, and smiles on everyone's faces.

The southwest monsoon begins irregularly in April, which is a relief because it breaks up the heat. By June, most afternoons with bring a shower, sometimes a thunderstorm. It can rain HARD during some of these storms. Largely free of damaging winds, thank you, Lord.

<SNIP>

It is pretty much the same in the Central and Southern Visayas., but starting in late May to June. In Valencia, just above Dumaguete, we are in a rural area, and it can just POUR at night - you wonder where the water is all going, lol, but it sounds really awesome on all the palm trees. When it does this it cools things down nicely, as I suspect in most rural areas.

Another point is that there are many "upland" areas like this in the Philippines that are a few degrees cooler than down at sea level and often get a better breeze at night.

@ NN3M

You must be up on the ranges to the east of me somewhere in central Luzon as there are 2 mountain ranges run north south, we are on the west coast (La Union) and I've been told that all the wells here are fed from the western range flowing underground out to sea.

I see the rain in central Luzon on Windy weather app, you get lots of rain there and lol, we eventually get it here from the deep well.

Temps and rainfall here are similar to where I came from in Oz except it stays warmer at night here on the coast, hence the A/C in the B/R.

Cheers, Steve.

I live just outside Tagaytay in Mendez area, Almadeo Mendez, Indang are all just outside Tagaytay and property costs are considerably lower...my house sits at 1400ft elevation and not to bad in summer other then a few hot days, but being from Cali at least 1 a/c is on 24/7...OP mentions Laguna...Laguna/Sta Rosa area can get very hot and muggy in Apr-Jun...i couldn't live there...just check the elevation of any cities you are interested in, anything above 1300ft should be much much better then sea level cities including Manila

I'm at 650 ft in elevation in Dasma. Yes, it gets hot, lol. But being from Chicago, and spending 5 to 6 months of the year there being cold to frozen, I love the heat. We have an aircon, but rarely use it. Fans are fine for me. My electric bill runs 3 to 4k per month. (I'm 66 btw). I have a car, but I prefer to walk a lot for exercise. When I came here over four years ago, I weighed 100 kilos, needed aircon to sleep. Now, I clock in at 75 kilos. I got acclimated to the weather. When in Rome…

Well done black sheep, I hear what you say and fans are fine through the day but I still like the A/C overnight for sleeping, I also have lost 10 Kgs in the last 4 years.

Back on topic May to September/October warms up but if you come from a warmer climate it's not so bad.

Cheers, Steve.

I'm at 650 ft in elevation in Dasma. Yes, it gets hot, lol. But being from Chicago, and spending 5 to 6 months of the year there being cold to frozen, I love the heat. We have an aircon, but rarely use it. Fans are fine for me. My electric bill runs 3 to 4k per month. (I'm 66 btw). I have a car, but I prefer to walk a lot for exercise. When I came here over four years ago, I weighed 100 kilos, needed aircon to sleep. Now, I clock in at 75 kilos. I got acclimated to the weather. When in Rome…
-@blacksheepjuno

Understood. For the record I doubt the OP will be reading this nevertheless it is a useful thread which is fundamentally important for budding expats coming to the Philippines.

Blacksheep you say that you are from Chicago. Like many of our American friends on this Forum you are used to extremes of climate. Biting cold winds during the winter (depending on the State) and intense heat during the summer months. Texans right now are baking in 35-40 degree heat. Head down to Houston and you have the 'heat index' a combination of heat & humidity going through the roof.

The OP is British. We have a moderate climate without the extremes of cold, heat or humidity so adjusting to the Philippine climate is more of a challenge. Continental western Europe again suffers less extremes than Stateside. Our Australian friends know heat and if from the northern part of the continent are used to high humidity.

It all depends on your ability to adapt to the climate. You are right when you say 'When in Rome' but even in Rome the temp only hits 30 for two months of the year and for the remaining 9 months has a balmy 60-75 degree average.

I'm on record as stating that I could not live in the Philippines all year round because of the climate. November to March in my mind is the best time to visit. Outside of that period especially at higher altitudes you will wish that you had bought those 'Galoshes' you left behind in the Windy City.