Thinking of moving to Ecuador

How easy for a 73 year old male with no Spanish to live in the country.

I'm sure others will comment with good answers, but it all depends - are you open to learning Spanish, and working at it?  Are you looking for an adventure, or a retreat?
  Where would you choose to live?  Some areas have enclaves of gringos, but in others you'd be on your own.  How self-sufficient are you?  Have you done some research about Ecuador?

If you're adventurous and open to change, and willing to work to fit in instead of expecting everything to be done for you, I'd say you could do it - it won't be that easy but it will be rewarding.

I 100% agree with OsageArcher.

As a resident of Quito, Spanish is integral to a social life and vice versa. My two closest friends are bilingual but despite these two friends I still felt alienated from society. So I've done something about it and continue to do something about it which is learning the language. The reward is a social life with locals and other native speakers. So this combination of learning Spanish and socializing with locals forms the basis of my life in Ecuador. It provides me with mental stimulation (Spanish), and human interaction (Social life).

I didn't know this right away but eventually found out what made me content here. When one is with family, friends or living in a community/society with your mother tongue it's easy to dismiss the obvious because everything is more or less provided or easier such as a social life, common language, etc.

Ultimately, we have to find our way, and I guess the ones who remain here are the ones who succeeded in doing so. Best of luck to you.