Vietnam Visa Requirements

Hi Forum

I am a British National using a British Passport living in Phnom Penh. I have a Cambodia Visa of 12 months multiple entry.

I need to visit Vietnam - do I need a Visa? the various website pages are conflicting. I envisage that I will travel overland using one of the bus transfer links.

Any information would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Alan

Hi and welcome to the forum,

- If you intend to stay in Vietnam for less than 15 days, as a full British citizen you don't need a visa to enter Vietnam. (currently this exemption is valid until June 30, 2018)
- If you intend to spend a month (30 days or less), you can apply for an e-visa.

From Cambodia, most likely you'll be entering Vietnam through Moc Bai land port. You can get an E-visa there.
(ref: LIST OF PORTS THAT ALLOW FOREIGNERS ENTER AND EXIT VIETNAM BY VIETNAMESE EVISA
The link above is from National Web Portal on Immigration cited on www.gov.uk/.)

Please note, for an e-visa there may not be any kind of extension (if you intend to extend your stay after 30 days).
- Else, you can go for a one-month or three-month Visa on Arrival for which you need to pay an agent (online) to get a Letter of Approval first.
More on VoA. (for reference only)

Please note, all websites promoting Visa on Arrival Applications are sites run by private agencies. They are the ones who will arrange the Letter of Approval which you'll need to get a VoA stamp at the airport.

For more relevant information please search on the Vietnam forum.

Cheers!

Dear Senwl

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. It is a two day business trip so I will be above to take advantage of the 15 day exemption.

Kind Regards,

Alan

Hello Alan.

I invite you to go to the Vietnam forum as they know all about visas for Vietnam. I only know that you need a visa, nobody can enter Vietnam without a visa, as far as I know.

Here the link to the Vietnam forum: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=219

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Thank you Joe.

As suggested I look at the Vietnam Forum.

Alan

I only know that you need a visa, nobody can enter Vietnam without a visa, as far as I know.

Actually that was the case until recently (2015-16) when number of tourist arrivals started dropping drastically year on year.
In 2016 they launched this pilot scheme to exempt citizens of certain countries from visa requirement while traveling to VN for a limited period of time. 
The scheme was initially valid for a year until June 2017. It was extended for one more year and now stands valid until June 30, 2018.

HERE is a complete list of visa-exempted countries.

It's official for the British PP holders ... as is indicated both on the UK Govt's official site and on VN embassy website.

-  In the News as well.