Marrying before moving to Berlin - URGENT HELP!

Hi everyone!

I've been living in Madrid for the past 2 years with my partner and now I'm moving to Berlin with a sponsored visa.

My partner and I are looking to getting married so he can move with me but my relocation begins on mid April and I'm not sure I'll be able to do the marriage that fast.

I have a few questions regarding this topic that I'd love to get your help with as soon as possible:

1. Can I share my work visa with my newlywed since year one or does it apply after one year? (this is the case in Madrid)
2. On my German work visa application, can I check the "single" status and then update it once I am married OR should I apply as married from the beginning?

I'd be happy to provide more info but I think this are the main urgent things I really need to know in order to start paperwork!

Thanks a lot!!

Hi,

1.  Some information here:
For EU nationals:
expatica.com/de/visas-and-permits/A-guide-for-EU-EEA-Swiss-citizens-moving-to-Germany_108794.html

For more details:
expatica.com/de/visas-and-permits/German-visa-to-join-a-relative-or-spouse-in-Germany_108796.html

2. Better provide actual information in your visa application (single or married). Chances that your visa will be rejected if false information is given in the application.

Hope this helps. Have a nice trip :)

One is married - or not. "Planning to" doesn't count and saying you are married before it happens is very likely to get you into trouble! Also, one cannot "share" a work visa. If you get a visa  to work then it only gives you permission, not a partner.

But I mean, once we are married, he could apply for a spouse visa?

I didn't mean to apply as "married" being single! I meant, we would get married before I apply for the visa. Sorry for the misunderstanding and thank you for your response! :)

You can apply for a family reunion visa for your spouse right after being married.
The embassy might then be suspicious and demand proof (and other checks) that your marriage is genuine and not a scam to get a visa. This could slow down the application process by months.

Thank you for your answer @beppi! Nor my partner or myself are German but I understand what you mean.

A family reunion visa seems like a good option! Thank you!

Hi Beppi,

Do you know the possible processing time of the National Long Term Family Reunion Visa (Spouse) from Singapore?

My husband is German and I am Singaporean. So far, all required documents were submitted on the 26th of Aug. We then we found out from the LABO Ausländerbehörde Berlin that they have the electronic documents, but are still waiting for the courier with the documents I submitted, which could take 6 weeks.

If you could so kindly provide me with your knowledge regarding this situation, that would be amazing..

Thank you so much

Shehe: When we did it, 15 years ago and for Stuttgart, it took three months. The actual time depends on how busy the local Auslànderamt is. So it can be faster or slower (and the embassy has no influence or even knowledge).

Hi again,

Thank you for your reply. In your experience, when embassies inform you after you have submitted your documents, that the process will take about 4-6 weeks, does that usually apply? Or is it just routine? My husband is currently back in Berlin and he's is considering joining me here in Singapore, but I was also debating on whether it would be a waste, seeing as we don't really know when it will get approved..

As I said, the embassy has no influence on and knowledge of the status of your application, so whatever they say can only be guesswork.
I know that the processing time differs widely between local authorities (Ausländeramt), but I don't know how Berlin fares here.
I also doubt that the Ausländeramt would give you any useful answer. They seem to exist to make foreigners as unwelcome as possible (which is a huge contrast to your country!).

As far as the information on the Embassy website goes, you can enquire about the status of your application after 2 months from the date of application. Why don't you send an e-mail to the Embassy where you applied and check with them?

The total time wait is generally 3 months from date of application.

Don't contact the Auslanbehörde for the information, because they will most likely not be of any help!

Alisa.

This post is from last year but a few things are not clear here:

1) are you an EU citizen?

2) is your partner an EU citizen?

3) when are you getting married?

4) where are you getting married?

5) does your partner work?

Spouse reunification will depend on these factors (amongst others).

Have you been able to solve your issue?