Taxes -- US/Italian working remotely in Belgium

As the title suggests, I am an Italian Citizen, interested in moving to Belgium, working for an American Company remotely.   I am a dual national of Italy/USA.

We would like to relocate when our lease is up this summer.  I can convert to a contract position which would pay more while shedding unusable benefits.  I did some quick calculations using this site:
https://www.belgiumtaxcalculator.com/

It would seem I'd be liable to pay 52% of my income in taxes (not including any employment my wife finds).  However, I'd technically be working as a US 1099 independent contractor.  So I did some reading and it appears I would need to be taxed first as a corporation in Belgium at a rate of 33%??!?  And then after that my personal tax rate applied? 

That's something like 66% effective tax rate on my income for a country that doesn't even have single payer healthcare.  But on top of that, I also read that the Social Security rate could actually go as high as 22% instead of 14%.  This could push me well over 70% effective tax rate.

Am I overlooking something big here, or is this more or less accurate?  I'm willing to pay a lot more in taxes to live where I want to live, but that would be crippling to the point where it would make no sense for me to take the much higher paying job and I would do better (or the same) to take a much lower paying local job.

Jon

Hahaha, welcome in the wonderful belgian tax system...

I would advise you to stay where you are. Believe me, you are better off!
You'd be much better in Italy itself.

One other thing to watch out for; as a US citizen living abroad, you also have to file annual tax returns to the IRS every year; you also have to file for State taxes.  If you're already doing this, ignore the rest of this, but if you're not, then you may wish to read the rest.

Assuming you pay your taxes in Italy and that there is a double-taxation agreement in place between the US and Italy (I don't know if there is, my advice is to check), then you shouldn't pay anymore, but they are interested in "all" of your income, so dividends from profits etc, which may not be protected by the agreement.  European banks are now disclosing the financial matters of US citizens abroad to the IRS on request.  This link will take you to the IRS website that explains the detail.

My advice is not to do anything that will attract the attention of the IRS.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Inevitably you ask a question on how to do something and somebody (probably who is currently doing that thing) tells you not to do it.

In what way am I better off?  If you think I am relocating from the US to Europe with my family to improve my bottom line, then think again.  I am not raising my kid in Texas and am not interested in moving back up north or out west.  It's a big world, and I've elected to raise my son in Europe during his formative years.  I'm not interested in raising him in Italy. 

So would I be better off doing a bunch of stuff that I don't want so I can earn some more money in my pocket?  No, of course not.

I have not been residing in Italy, but in the US.  This is why my employment is US-based.  It's advantageous to continue employment in the US and work remotely in my field as pay is significantly better.  I am aware that there are tax obligations to US citizens living abroad and I have resided at least 6 months In 4 different countries already.

Really, my question was just about whether it is required to pay corporate taxes before income taxes if I am self-employed, which is what one very confusing expat article insinuated but does not seem to be true.

I am an American citizen planning to move to Brussels to take a position as an self-employed professional card holder.  I've done tax consultations with experts in Brussels and in the US, and would advise you to do the same, as the system is phenomenally complicated and you'll need advice for your own situation.  But at a high level, what I have learned is:

- the most tax advantageous position in Brussels is to set yourself up as a corporation, of which you are the director
- you are required to pay yourself a salary as director of your company of around EUR 45k.  The Belgian tax rate on this is high - I was told it would be around 46% for income tax and social security contribution
- the remainder of your corporate profits are taxed at a corporate rate (20% for the first EUR 100,000, then 29%).  BUT, you can deduct all kinds of expenses as corporate expenses, which means you effectively pay those things pre-tax.  This could include a portion of your rent and utilities if you ever work from home, your car if you use it for work, every meal you eat at work or with people from work.  In practice, I understand that people really push this to the limit.
- you then pay the remaining profits out to yourself as a dividend, where you pay either a dividend tax of 30%, or if you can wait five years or are leaving Belgium and liquidate your company, a lower "liquidation reserve" tax of only 15%.  If you have enough savings to float, the best option is to leave the money in your company for 5 years/until you liquidate, where it can be invested.  And, remember, a portion of your expenses may be covered by the company directly and by your director salary.

Then, in the US, there is effectively a kind of tax parity, where you essentially only pay US tax if the tax you would have paid in the US is higher than what you paid in Belgium, which will absolutely never be the case.  I've been told that I may need to apply for my company to be considered a disregarded entity in the US to avoid issues under the new tax law, but this is a bit up in the air.

After all this nonsense, we found that our effective tax rate in Brussels would only be a couple of percentage points higher than what we currently pay in the US as long as we can keep our money in the company until we leave Belgium.  But it requires an absolutely absurd number of steps to get there, and we'll probably be spending 5k+/year on accountants in Belgium and the US to make it all work.  As with all things Belgian, it is 50x more complicated than it has any need to be.

Hope this helps!

Fantastic information, thanks jemholo!