How would India know that an Indian citizen also has a US passport?

Hi,
I hope this is okay to ask here...
An Indian friend of mine here in the US just got his American passport and is about to surrender his Indian passport, since India doesn't allow dual citizenship.
Then again neither does Japan - and I know a Japanese citizen who got the American citizenship and just didn't tell Japan, and he has had both passports for decades without either country ever finding out.
So now I wonder: should my friend really surrender his Indian passport and give up Indian citizenship? How would India find out that he also has a US passport? What are the risks of keeping both?

Thank you!

Walther

The forum doesn't allow illegal activity of any sort so, if one country does not allow something, the only advice available here is to follow the law.

Thanks Fred, that's a masterfully subtextual answer... ;-)

https://www.quora.com/Why-doesnt-India- … itizenship

You can be caught in 2 places.
In US the check-in person will ask for the visa details of your final destination which is India and they know US citizens need visa. They will not allow you to board the plane. The airline will be fined for bringing someone into India without proper travel documents. Very often you  will fly via Europe or Middle-east and they will check for visa again.
The immigration officers in India often have the time & patience to check your immigration stamping details from where you boarded the plane.
Remember they see people like you everyday. You are going to India may be once in 2-3 years.
One of the youngsters in our church was held up in Dubai in transit for the very reason for a week. Fortunately he stayed with his sister in Dubai till he got his visa to India.
Zimple - Get your OCI card and go. When you are caught you will pay more than the OCI  card.