English teacher job in China with an Asian appearance

I am an Australian born Chinese and looking to move to China in a few months. In particular, I am only considering Shanghai at the beginning as my family is there and that is the reason I am going.

I am looking at my job options and it seems teaching English is an easy way to secure a work visa. However, after doing a bit of search on Google, it seems that it is not that easy for an Asian-looking person to be teaching English there.

I would like to know your experiences with regards to this and also if a difference in salary should be expected.

Thanks in advance.

Oh it's not as bad as you would think. If you are outgoing and personable you won't have any trouble. i have many friends who are Asian or ABC Chinese and they are quite successful. It's all in your attitude.  Best of luck.

Having some experience with this... It depends on the School or Learning Center where you're trying to get hired.  It also has to do with the students parents...
They will say you have a chinese accent even if you have never spoken a word of chinese a day in your life.  If you speak chinese I would pretend you have no idea what they are saying.
I have been in the situation where both teachers were accepted and where they had a very difficult time.  It wasn't due to the qualified teachers... it was parents and admin.

Ok, thanks. So I guess you are Asian and you managed to get a teaching job in Shanghai then?

I mean....I can't even get a job right now because the first thing they ask for is a photo....

I'm wondering now what other jobs ABCs do in China as I really want to go.

Not an Asian.  Just helped with hiring.  And I've seen it from that angle.

Ah ok, well....looks like I'm going to have to approach this job hunting differently then. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

You just need to show you're qualified.  The Asians that are successfully hired are the ones with a teaching background and education degree.  They also have no knowledge of mandarin.   These things make it easier for the parents to accept.  Still stupid as others come with any bachelor degree and willingness to teach.