Relocating to Puerto Plata from the city. GUIDANCE

Hi everyone !!!!

I'm from the island, currently living in Santo Domingo, and studying to become a Veterinarian (soon to graduate); hoping to find a job in my area in the North Coast.  Any useful insight about Veterinary clinics or field work for Vets? 

My boyfriend and I are exhausted to be living in the city, we've always been campo people at heart, and lovers of the waves.

We've bordered the north coast: Samana, Nagua, Cabrera, Rio san juan, Cabarete, Encuentro... in search for waves, and we've stayed at some cheap but safe little "hostals" on our days there. We've also bordered the South and East Coast all the way to Punta Cana and Miches. 

We are mainly interested in moving to Puerto Plata , especially interested in finding the safest areas, based on Dominican income.   We have family living in Punta Cana,  but we feel we'll get more bang for our buck in the North Coast, and we are already accustomed to be fully immersed in the Dominican Lifestyle (apagones, colmadones laying low on the radar to prevent crime, etc)

We feel that Puerto Plata is a lot safer than Sosua and Cabarete, and transportation won't be an issue for us.   

We have an income of about 800 dollars a month (together, not 800 each, sadly); we work with an American Company online, which gives us the flexibility of working anywhere and anytime (unfortunately, they are not paying us according to American standards, but Dominican standards).

We currently pay US$300 in a shared apartment in the city.   I have my hopes up that we'll find an apartment for the both of us for around that price in Pto Plata.  Can anyone be of guidance in which areas are the safest in Pto Plata?

Costambar?  Near La Sirena? El Doral? CocaCola? Cerro Alto? Las Caobas? Bayardo? Los Reyes?  I know these names, because I've been looking at COROTOS for reference and also Google Maps.    However, we are planning to actually drive there and just, you know, boots on the ground, but tips and experiences are always welcomed.

Also, local grocery produce, and most reputable hospitals would be great to know from now.

On the other hand, if anyone needs any tips, information, or guidance for the city lifestyle, be sure to let me know !

Good morning,and welcome. First contact DCDR dogs and cats DR on Facebook. They are a rescue group on north coast and they can help you with info on vets and opportunities.

POP is full of decent areas to live.  You won't find places on Corrotos but again a fb  group Everything Puerto Plata has lots of rental listings. Your budget will be fine.

I also live in SD but I lived in POP for many years. Happy to answer your questions.

When I first started my search for a place to put down roots, I spent a month in the Costambar Beach area. A gated community where many expatriates resided. Practically everything you would need was in the community, or close by in Puerta Plata. It was a nice area but too secluded and exclusive for my taste. on your limited income Costamber may not be the place for you, but I have seen very inexpensive apartments in Puerto Plata.

Darlene, DCDR is a great place to start ! Volunteering is a great way to gain more experience, and meet colleagues for future job references.

Julian, thank you for sharing your insight !