Is 100,000 Rs a month enough to live in Bangalore?

Hi all,

I'm currently living in Hastings, MN USA and am considering a relocation to Bangalore to work as an applications scientist with a software company located there.

The salary I have been offered is 100,000 Rs a month and I am wondering if that is enough for my wife and I to live comfortably in the area?  To be honest, I'm more worried about the money and it being enough than I am about the job.

I'd appreciate any and all response.

dmpc

Hi,
    1 lac is enough money to live in Bangalore for 1 month.with 25,000 rupees/month you can live well in Bangalore

Thank you for your response.

Are you currently living in Bangalore?

100,000 is enough for family to live with luxury. you can save around 20-30,000.

ray80 wrote:

dude it all depends on ur life style..dont b misled by thinkin its all good n come here only to b shocked!! there r expensive places n cheap places as well....it all depends on what life style u have in the US n what kinda life stlye u lookin at here in bangalore...

Well, right now I am unemployed, so I don't have much of a lifestyle here.

Like anywhere it depends on where you want to live and what kind of life style you plan on having, you can contact me on Skype my id is budchap and i would be happy to answer any questions.

What other benefits is the company offering, accom, flights, health ins, vehicle and driver.

My wife and I relocated here from New Zealand last year, best thing we have ever done, she is teaching here and being paid less than you have been offered.  But school does do accom, flights and health ins
Contact me on Skype, happy to answer your questions.

bud chapman

Hi,

I is a very decent amount, you can easily afford a well comfortable apartment and led a good life.
However i would also depend on Company you are going with
Is it a lumpsum amount or with some additional perks
what experience and what level. ALso it does depend on what kind of lifestyle you are used to or you would like to depending on your socialite and other likeness.

If you need to know anything specific pls you can mail me.

Good luck and have a nice trip
Ashish

Well, there are many Bangaloreans living on a lot less than that. It would depend largely on your ethnicity and on your desired lifestyle. If you happen to be white, be prepared to pay a premium on everything, the amounts depending on your gullibility, naivete and lack of worldly experience :-) And, if you don't speak any Indian language, wear thick glasses through which you peer owlishly at people and keep asking them to repeat themselves, act overly polite to your underlings, and look lost much of the time, the premium just went up :-)

I guess that there is no simple answer to this question.

ssebastian wrote:

I think hundred thousand is the minimum you will need to live if you are not provided with housing.
the house/ apt. rent alone in a good area will cost you anywhere between fifty and seventy five thousand and you will need a car for hire perhaps(unless you live at walking distance from your workplace), add ten to twelve a month, maid service etc is essential, which is another five or so and then groceries, outings and various expenses associated with daily living.... add all that.
Bangalore has changed a lot and in my experience (having recently moved to live here part of the year).
you will just about meet your expenses. 

Saji

Hey, for somebody coming from US, I totaly agree with Saji. That amount is the minimum for a normal american life to be lived in Bangalore. I am a little bit surprised about the amount, is kinda low for the proposed job... And one small detail but very important, take in consideration who is replying to you. They can have a different understanding then you of a "normal life". I suggest you get in touch with the americans living in Bangalore. Anything else I can help you with please do send me a message.

Mioara wrote:

[
Hey, for somebody coming from US, I totaly agree with Saji. That amount is the minimum for a normal american life to be lived in Bangalore. I am a little bit surprised about the amount, is kinda low for the proposed job...

Well, I don't think I'm going to take the job or move to Bangalore.  I asked for more money and the guy basically said goodbye to me.  I asked a contact that I have here in the US that is from India if 100000 RS. a month was enough and he told me it would be for a just graduated Ph.D., but for someone with more experience like myself, I should ask (his word was "demand") for 240,000 Rs. a month.  I did, and the person in Bangalore said that was too much, and said he was sorry that we couldn't work this out. 

I wrote back asking him what he thought was more "reasonable between 1.1 and 2.4 lac and he hasn't responded.

So I guess we aren't moving to India after all.

See, it depends on your living standard. But I would suggest you to think one more time before rejecting this offer. Just calculate how much you are saving in USA right now and How much you will save in India? At the same time, Think what is more important for you? Life style or Savings? Of-course, High living standard means less savings. I am staying in bangalore since last six years. India has broad categories of living standards. Let me give you example with salary of some persons.

3k/m - I have seen people living with 3k/month salary. Just living.. with shared rented flat. you can call them poor
10k/m - somewhat decent salary. staying at rented flat with wife in normal area.
25k/m - staying at rented flat in decent area.weekend outing.
45k/m - staying at rented flat in decent area.weekend outing. movies/ shoping/cafe/nightclub/pub
60k/m - flat at expensive area and everything else.

Of course there are celebrities, their expenses must be around 1.1 lac per month.

Now you decide where you can fit in this? what is your living standard. and then decide how much you can save? If you can save more than what you are saving in USA then you should never let it go. That is my suggestion.

Thanks

For a student like me, i think its more than enough.I live along MG road, and things are slightly more exp here than other parts of Bangalore. But reli like what everyone says, it depends on lifestyle.

Hi - not sure whether you've already made you decision, but my family just moved here from the US. We live in HSR Layout and pay around $650 USD per month for our 4Bed4Bath apartment. And that's the largest expense we have. I think you'll be fine.

Depends completely on your life-style Bangalore is a expensive city among all cities in delhi.
If you can probably share about your life style people can help you here more correctly.

Cheers
Tushar

Hi, friends. Who can tell me, is it possible to get job and housing  on tourist visa or change visa type, being in India if i will get job there?

Hi tatyanaki,

You should start a new discussion on the Bangalore forum. Thank you.

as about u r packege its enough rs 100000 per month. as my brother in law is on position cfo at banglore having same amount of salary is living the luxoury lifestyle. don't think too much india is a great country to live in.we are so friendly.once give us the chance.thanks

Depends on what you want? Are you an American or Indian? Mail me if you would like more details.

Hello nishant_ram2002 -> To note that this thread is dated 2011 and is quite old. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Yes i know, i realized that later :)