Safest places in or near Port Moresby Papua New Guinea

Hi,

I'm a single female going to Port Moresby Papua New Guinea for two weeks in August.

I can't really avoid it and I was wondering if you knew the safest places to be and stay there or near there that was seriously low budget!

Thanks

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

You don't have to worry too much.  While POM is not the safest place,  there are several places you can go without having to worry.   The vision city mall is a nice place with restuarants shopping and a movie theater.  You can also shop and eat at waterfront food world mall.   Both have good security, great stores and food.   I recommend the Ella beach hotel as the best hotel balancing cost,  security and amenities.   They offer free Wi-Fi too.  Other choices would be holiday in express.  Avoid the cheaper local inns and motels.  There is a nice water park with gym. Don't take buses, if you don't have transportation provided,  have someone recommend a couple of reliable taxi drivers,  get their numbers and call them directly.   If you know local people or employees if you are here on business ask them to take you around.  Locals are very happy to take care if you and they know where to go and where not to go.   A couple if other nice places are the nature park in POm and adventure land a few miles outside of POM go with locals.   Not a good idea to Just  walk.  Stay at the malls or go with locals.  Hope that helps.  You can enjoy PNG. My wife and I live in POM mist if the time.  We should be there in August.  Please contact us through our inbox on this site and we'll be glad to connect and show you around. What brings you to PNG?

HI Michelle, good afternoon from Port Moresby, I hope you are excited about your PNG trip?
I know a few cheaper places but I would however agree with Steve recommending Ela Beach Hotel considering you're a female and travelling alone. Perhaps I might suggest you look at City Service Apartment(New Hotel) and  it also have a boutique hotel too just near the market if you like market and also near the football stadium which you don't have to pay to watch a great footy if you love that. Staffs are friendly to. Apart from the list Steve gave you should consider that too and see I trust whichever you choose you will have a great time.
I have a few Taxi Drivers and are very friendly. I hooked up couple of tourist friends with them and they are very happy for the service. If interested let me know and we can keep in touch via my message box or if you need to have my contact I am more than pleased to help out. If you prefer other wise for transportation,  Here's the taxi Company I trust Comfort Taxi, City Loop, Tulait tulait.  Always seek advice from your hotels reception if you are travelling alone they sometimes have few taxi trusted drivers so you should be ok.
Another thing, if you are thinking of travelling out of the City to Adventure Park, Sogeri for a great sight, I can also try to help . My niece have and her bf have an open back, you might wanna  experience a local llifestyle? We'll be happy to help out. But if you get to meet Steve and his wife then you are in a really good hands.
I wish you all the best.
Kindest Regards,
AJM

I can help you with that. If you don't mind.

@Sambui

Welcome to the forum.

If you have some information that may help, please post it here so that others may benefit from it too.

Hello! Thank you so much for the reply, I'm going there for a little bit of adventure, and a bit of a fools errand. :)

Thank you so much for your advice, I was going to stay there for a couple weeks but I've decided to fly over to Cairns for most of the time.

So I will only be in POM for a couple nights.

After reading your post I feel like I should have organised to stay a little longer.

However I think with your help here I can make the most of the two days I will be there.

Thank you

I've never been to that side of the world so any where is a bit of an adventure.

Thank you very much.

I truly appreciate the offer and the time spent replying, I really do wish I hadn't of worried so much.

Michelle

Thank you :)