Shopping in Jordan

Hello dear members,

I guess this could be an interesting topic. I invite all members in Jordan (both locals & expats) to share their daily/weekly/monthly experience about shopping. You may also include some shopping tips/suggestions!

So can you please share with us:

>Where do you usually go for shopping?
(Shopping for basic products like Food, Vegetables, Meat)

>What are your favorite shopping malls/complex or boutique?
(Where you usually go to relax or to buy your clothing stuffs, shoes and other shopping related products!)

Awaiting for your contribution ;)

Best Regards

Carrefour is a good supermarket for food and house goods, there are few branches in Amman but the main one is in City Mall. 

Food City is another supermarket which has branches all around Amman and usually offers good reductions on selected items.

as for other shopping, there are few malls in Amman, Mecca Mall and City Mall and Sameh Mall, Baraka Mall.  They are good places to shop and have lunch or coffee and meet friends.  You can spend hours and hours in each of them (especially if you are a shopaholic like me)

Hope this will answer your question.

i think most of us will agree with hanagrg, if your shooping for G&H products pay a visit to cosmo or Milles

Electronics - Smartbuy and E-mart

I am looking to move in Jordan....

I have been to jordan several times and I haven't really seen any manchester/linen shops or interior house shops for decoration....Also Kitchen shops....Can anyone help me.

Also furniture, white goods, and electronics...?

Any information would be great.

Tania2326 wrote:

I am looking to move in Jordan....

I have been to jordan several times and I haven't really seen any manchester/linen shops or interior house shops for decoration....Also Kitchen shops....Can anyone help me.

Also furniture, white goods, and electronics...?

Any information would be great.

the list is too tall but lets try..

electronics : e-mart, smart buy, CARREFOUR

furniture: tons over tons of shops in the Television/Radio St.(those are really good they have brands like Tiffany's/excellent prices) one special shop is called al huria i think, also Amman - Zarqa Main road(Local made and good quality), further end of Gardens St. and Swefieh Area... those are mainly where you would find furniture shops. theres also home center and ideal design but wouldnt recomend them very over priced/bad quality, no IKEA though. if your looking for the extravagangous furniture you might consider going on a small trip to Egypt people have been doing it lately you will get better material/lower prices and gives you an excuse for a vacation :),

manchester/linen: i used to get them from a place called better homes in Gardens St, theres C-Town/Cosmo/Safeway at 7th circule they have a good collection now and then.

Kitchen shops: if your refering to kitchen installments and cabinets theres alot of decent places to shop from cant really pin point any of them, but there is alot of them belive me, and if you mean kitchen ware mostly C-Town.

this depends on what you want and its really a matter of taste, but mainly theres a decent selction to choose from you will not be limited in your choices. and prices varies like every where

But a word of advise, in Amman you have to pay special attention to what your paying for, merchants are greedy and the goods are over priced even in internation chain markets,       

hope this helps,,

I only buy food in Amman - bring EVERYTHING else in from the UK.  Its far too expensive.

Thank you for your reply "new member from Riyadh".... after looking on websites and so forth, I do now realise there is everything in Amman, some a little more expensive, but that is expected every where you go, I guess. I will miss what I take for granted here in Australia, but I guess thats to be expected.

"Brit in Jordan" - I see you point of view. lol. I am going to take everything in a container....then see what there is there....I guess after 1 year of trialling it there...I can honestly answer if it is ok to live in Jordan, but right now, I really can't answer. I just love my creature comforts and I may sound a little selfish to say that I do not want to give them up...I am going for a better life...more for my children also...

If anyone has more info, please do share.

Any shopping websites....I found one called Ammansnob.com.jo....something on the lines of this.

Brit in Jordan wrote:

I only buy food in Amman - bring EVERYTHING else in from the UK.  Its far too expensive.

For real?! I am beginning to think expats live in a parallel world to the local population. I do heaps of shopping in Amman when I am there. Turkish made clothes - heaps better quality than Chinese made for the UK market and half the price. Locally made clothes are even better, and really comfortable. Plus you can actually get items made out of wool. Remember that fabric, fellow Brits? The stuff that is no longer the material of choice for jumpers/skirts/even coats over here? Tailored clothes in Amman are quite cheap, especially for women. Plus there are some kitchen utensils that are hard to get overseas and are really useful. Like the one for coring courgettes/cucumbers and the like. Plus one for making felafel.

We buy shoes in Amman, especially sandals. The market in Wehdat is good for shoes. 

For furniture, when we were there we got what we needed made up. None of this Ikea rubbish. All solid wood, hand made, for not even half the price you could get a similar bed made by hand here.

I thought cars were a bit over the top to buy. Though, having said that, I enjoyed the price of petrol :-)

And the locally grown fruit and vegetables! Oh, wow! Half a dozen tomatoes for less than one dinar, so on par with the UK, but the taste! It reminded me more of eating in France or Italy than in the UK. The one thing that really amazed me was the cakes. I can remember going into a local shop (preferably one that makes kanafeh) and asking for 5 dinars worth - well, what do I know? I thought it would be enough - and this is the whole tray and then some! As in enough to buy it by the kilo.

There's a fantastic kanafeh shop in Nuzha, just up from the main roundabout, on the left hand side, (Sayeed bin alMusayib?) right next to some land.

Yes - that is for real!  I cannot bring myself to buy clothes here.  Linen tops and trousers sell for over double that in the UK and believe it or not some of the clothes I buy in the UK are made in the North of Jordan and then shipped back to the UK (a very well known chain).  I have not found linen clothes here that are of this quality so please share if you know somewhere.  I love wandering the souqs and buy fresh produce there at very good prices but my experience is overall the food prices are pretty much evened out on a weekly basis when you take into consideration the import duty on cleaning/washing/bathing products and even canned tomatoes!  Electricals were extortionate but lately have come down to somewhere near those prices in the UK but.............. you have very limited choice in some areas ie breadmakers - Kenwood which just does not work very well, fat fryers ..... only the old fashioned type which cannot be put into dishwasher.  This is why I bring in what I can.  It's not a parallel world but I have the opportunity to save some money by bringing cheaper and better with me and I do -as do many of the locals who travel to Dubai, Turkey, UK.

Where HSBC is (Khalid bin Al-Waleed branch) if you walk south east along that street, staying on the same side of the road, you eventually come to quite a large intersection which has quite a few local/indpendently owned boutiques. Crossing over that intersection but staying on the same side as HSBC, there's a boutique that sells Turkish made western style clothing which was just beautifully made. I bought work clothes there for a song compared to what I've paid here. Jackets for the equivalent of around £30.

Other than that, I bought Jordanian style dresses, only 12 dinar from the main souk downtown. For everything else, I just got it made, buying very reasonably priced material in the main souq and telling the tailor/seamstress what I wanted. It took around three days to get 4 shirts made, 6 dinar a piece. i couldn't even get trousers taken up here for that price let alone anything made.

I've only been to one supermarket in Amman, C-Town, and that was to buy a CD not available in local shops. In my husband's family, they never seemed to eat processed/frozen/packaged food. Well, that's the way they put it. Me, I think sugar is "processed food" and they certainly went through sugar like water. They hardly ever ate meat - just at weddings and the like - and yet to me they ate like kings. Fresh food every day, houmous, fool, olives, zataar, salad with every meal. Herbal teas in a tea bag? They didn't believe in that - they called things from supermarkets - including tea bags! - pretend food. All fresh, tea leaves and fresh mint or sprigs of sage.

We did have a look in West Amman for electrical goods at one stage, but the prices were 30% dearer than locally in East Amman.

Why are washing items so expensive in Amman? We just bought big blocks of soap and grated off some flakes whenever it was a washing day (the one day a week when the water comes on to fill up the tanks). They were quite cheap, two dinars for a quite large block. That's what both my grandparents used to use as well - soap flakes, with a tiny bit of vinegar to soften the water.

My hubby just bought some suits and cuff-link business shirts at Taylor and Lodge at Abdoun Circle. Whole store is on 70% for suits and 60% for shirts. Prices are similar to Canada AFTER discount. So we paid like $300 USD for a suit and $60 USD for shirt. These are good quality Italian fabric and tailored in Jordan.

Call 06-5925949. :)

Hi everyone,
I will be visiting Jordan soon.
I want to do some shopping while I'm there.
I would like to get an iphone4 32gb. Unlocked of course...
How much would I pay for it in Amman... I searched web site of Emart but they do not list their products and prices...
Could you give me a price of the product from some major electronics stores. I do not want to buy it from any stores as there are many made in china iphones in the market. And I'm no expert to distinguish the genuine ones from the fake ones.

What else I can buy in Jordan, like good quality sheets etc..
Thanks for help...

IPhone4 32 Gb at SmartBuy (authorized Apple retailer) 729 JD.... price includes griffin case.... I don't know what's this :)

Thank you for info.

we have opened a new e-commerce website [moderated: no free ads] for Jordanian market. we do cash on delivery and all our products are from reputable suppliers in Jordan.

Hi,

Are computers and computer accessories priced reasonably in Amman ?

Thanks for reading.

P

poimier wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for reading.

P

Electronic stuff in general in Amman seems hugely expensive. When people go home to Amman from here (the UK), they buy a few mobile phones from here and say they make enough on them in Amman to pay for their ticket.

For computer stuff, if we needed something we bought it in France, (Paris - a big computer department store called Surcouf).

Hi all,

I dont want to repeat what others said, but I believe downtown is a good place where you can find cheap and good stuff, and pleasant walking is a plus :) I wish you a great stay in Jordan. I am Jordanian citizen, and you are welcome for any assistance want answers of any question.

Best regards,

Bilal

deb568 wrote:
poimier wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for reading.

P

Electronic stuff in general in Amman seems hugely expensive. When people go home to Amman from here (the UK), they buy a few mobile phones from here and say they make enough on them in Amman to pay for their ticket.

For computer stuff, if we needed something we bought it in France, (Paris - a big computer department store called Surcouf).

Hi Debs,

Many thanks for your informative reply, most useful.

I didn't know of Surcouf, normally I use Pixmania.  Maybe I must bring some mobiles with from France :) !

Regards from Ernie