Golf in Riyadh

Hi,

I am new to Riyadh and wandering if there are any golfers here who can guide me to the local playing facilities.......... I am not a beginner but can not classify myself as someone with below 20 handicap.

Cheers,
Shoaib

Hi Shoaib,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will advise you very soon.

All the best,
Christine

try out the dirab golf course.. I don't play golf myself but have heard from friends who do that it is by faaaar the best one in town.. they have various memberships packages and tournaments as well..

Riyadh Golf Courses on Exit 65 Qassim Highway is the only other one I know about .. there is one in Arizona Resort and Compound as well, but since it is a residential compound .. I am not sure whats the protocol for playing there

oh yeah .. riyadh intercon has a gold course as well

kamiii wrote:

try out the dirab golf course.. I don't play golf myself but have heard from friends who do that it is by faaaar the best one in town..

I became a member this week(SAR 16,000/yr).  4 things appealed to me:

1. Green fees included(SAR 150-300/round...though I'll never get my money back soley through golf); add cart for SAR 70, or walk...which *is* allowed.
2. Driving range/unlimited balls included.
3. Equestrian center--take the dozen or so horses out for a trot around the valley.  No add'l charge.
4. Nice large outdoor pool, cleaned every Saturday.  Large enough for swimming laps.

Surrounded by Saudi Nat'l Guard posts on the adjacent hill tops--though I can't confirm they're occupied, or awake.

They open at 5:30 a.m., probably close after dark? If anyone is interested in meeting for a round...we can talk.

GreatLaker wrote:
kamiii wrote:

try out the dirab golf course.. I don't play golf myself but have heard from friends who do that it is by faaaar the best one in town..

I became a member this week(SAR 16,000/yr).  4 things appealed to me:

1. Green fees included(SAR 150-300/round...though I'll never get my money back soley through golf); add cart for SAR 70, or walk...which *is* allowed.
2. Driving range/unlimited balls included.
3. Equestrian center--take the dozen or so horses out for a trot around the valley.  No add'l charge.
4. Nice large outdoor pool, cleaned every Saturday.  Large enough for swimming laps.

Surrounded by Saudi Nat'l Guard posts on the adjacent hill tops--though I can't confirm they're occupied, or awake.

They open at 5:30 a.m., probably close after dark? If anyone is interested in meeting for a round...we can talk.

I'm down for a round if I can rent clubs! I'm not bad, got a decent slice but I was working on it before I came here! lol let me know

Alex

Sounds good, Alex. 

I'm shooting for a day or two between Nov. 13-20 for my next outing.  Any of those days good for you?  (I don't think we'll have to worry about rain!)  I think we can submit a tee time here:  http://www.dirabgolf.com/Partner.aspx

I make my own hours, so I can work around your schedule if need be.  The pro shop manager said it's pretty hairy out there on Thursday and Friday, and Tuesday is Ladies League from 0700-0930. 

They have Ping rentals for SAR 150/per 18.  I hit a set on the range today, and they're pretty nice.  I haven't bought clubs yet, so I may rent too--or borrow a friends.

No spikeless cleats yet either;  they're being mailed to me, so I'll be wearing running shoes.  No cut-offs shorts allowed, and shirts with a collar required, I think.

I'll split the cart with you--it'll be SAR 35 for each of us.  The driving range is free.

It's about 50 KM southwest from my neighborhood.  If you're nearby Tahalia/Olaya, or somewhere along the King Fahad/505 route, I can pick you up enroute.

I wish we could pick up a half-rack of ice-cold Molson Golden on the way too.  Ah...well.

PM me your contact info.

Cheers,

Bill

Sent you a PM.