Getting hold of Cash in Bulgaria

Hi all,

We are flying out from UK to BG next month to buy a house.  The property will be purchased via bank transfer in Pounds Sterling (the agent wants to do the transaction in GBP). For the time being, the house will be a second home. We will travel back and forth from UK to BG until we are ready to settle full time in BG.

While we are in BG we intend to buy a small car quite early on in this visit as hire cars costs can soon mount up.  We don't want anything too expensive...  2000 Leva should do it as we will garage the car at the property when we return to UK.

I don't want to buy the Bulgarian Leva here as i understand i will get a better exchange rate in BG, nor do i want to carry around £1000 GBP cash in my handbag for obvious reasons.  So... what will be the best and cheapest way for me to get my hands on the money for the car?  No doubt we will set up a BG bank account to pay the bills on the house and fund it with money transferred from my UK bank account however, this will take time to organise.  I need wheels asap.

What is the best way to get 2000 Leva?  ATMs have a limit of 400 Leva per day so that's no good.  Also, if the ATM swallows my card i'm stuffed.  I don't have any credit cards or any other bank accounts.  I don't borrow money....  Ever.... not even for 30 days!

Can i walk into a Bank and buy Leva with my Debit card?

I hear travellers cheques are expensive to use.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Paula

I recently opened an account with Starling Bank UK. They supposedly don't charge foreign ATM or exchange fees. Swallowing cards happens, but rarely, and they can be replaced!

Thanks sogy, i will look into it and check their rates.... but i already have a debit card from a UK bank that gives me very good forex rates but with a small fee. I'm happy with that. The Banks that don't charge "exchange fees" give poor rates. Plus, as outlined in my post... an  ATM will still not give me more than 400 Leva per day. So i will have to visit the ATM over 5 days to get my 2000 Leva.  I need wheels ASAP after i land. Not a week after i land.

I don't ever put my card in an ATM.  I'm quite old and my eyesight is poor at short distance but good over long so i am fine to drive.  Also,  how will i integrate and perfect my Bulgarian if i only use machines?
I come to BG to get away from machines and experience a more simple way of life.  I need a person to person service.

Yes cards can be replaced but what do i do in the meantime? I will have to get my UK bank to mail me a new card and i'll have to wait... (without money).

Interesting that ATMs won't give you more than 400 a day. When my dad was here the ATMs gave him 400 lev a transaction, but he could have as many transactions as his home bank allowed. He pulled 3000 bgn out of the atm in one day when we bought our car.

other than that, I suppose you can western union the money to yourself and then just pick it up here.

Western Union?  Maybe Bitcoin will be a better option for me. Everybody takes Bitcoin.  Here in the UK i can walk into any Post Office and ask the cashier to give me up to £1000 in USD or EURO on the spot.  If i want any more or if i want a different  currency, i have to give 24h notice, pay... and collect the following day.  But i can pay with my debit card without issue and bid the cashier good day after a pleasant chat. It gives me plenty of time to put my money away before i leave to walk the street.

I think if you are young and fit ATMs are the way to go.  You don't see too many dithery old ladies with walking frames tucking away a grand in cash into her purse in a busy high street here in UK.  It's a good way to make yourself a target.  Maybe BG is different. Maybe i can ask a passer by to help me read the screen?

I have a friend who will meet me and help me buy a car but he says bring cash.  Maybe i will have to ask him to take me to a cash machine and push the buttons for me.

Thanks Kojidae for your input.  I think i need to give this a lot of thought.

Your friend is right. Bring cash. Actually there's no risk for such a small amount, and as I uderstand you'll be accompanied by a friend.

Even if you have a bulgarian bank account you will still have to withdraw cash for the car purchase, since most of the used car dealers will not offer options for debit card payment.

If you're buying your car in Sofia, I can list 2-3 places where you can exchange the pounds at a good rate.

Actullay you're worriing too much about this :)) . If I were you, I would be more concrned on what type of car to buy - right side wheel or left side wheel ?!
Driving in Bulgaria is more convenient with a left side wheel, but if you're used to right side wheel, then probably this is your better choice. In addition, right side wheeled cars are genraly cheaper since fewer people wnat to buy these.
Also having the car checked by a mechanic is a must, BEFORE you buy it. And AFTER you buy it, then you must change the oil, some filters and belt (best case scenario).
There's also the car registration at the traffic police offices (KAT), and your car must be prepared for this in advance - brakes, lights, exhaust emissions, tyres, mechanical check, third party liability insurance, fire extinguisher, reflective vest, reflective triangle, first aid kit.

Hi, Kristiann

I was apprenticed at Jaguar Cars and i do my own mechanics so no problem there.... but good advice anyhow.   I would also add....  ignore odometer readings, amuse every car you look at is "clocked".

Anyhow, I was going to turn the "test drive" into a trip to get the cash.

As for LHD, i have a 3.5t left hand drive LWB Fiat Ducato truck with column change that i drive here in UK (overtaking and right turns are a nightmare) while driving on the left. But i love a challenge :)

As for the car registration at the traffic police offices (KAT).  I was under the impression (as long as i have insurance) i have 14 days in which to do this?  By which time...  I may have sold the car if i find i can flip it for a better price.  If not, I can register it when i'm settled in at my house.

So.....  Back to getting CASH
for those that are interested...  this is what i have discovered.

Method 1

"Crown Change" exchange will give you Leva for both CASH and VISA or MasterCard.  They offer the best exchange rates by far and you get to do the deal, person to person. They buy GBP at 2.215 leva to the British Pound (rates at time of posting).  They do however have a surcharge of 4% for use of a card.

Keep in mind....  if you get cash from Bank ATMs your card provider will probably charge you for a "cash advance" and give you a rate of about 1.98 Leva to the British Pound (rates at time of posting)...

Crown Change have 5 offices in Sofia, as well as offices in:
Burgas, Samokov, Bansko, Borovetz, Sunny Beach, Nesebar, Primorsko, Carevo, Lozenets, Chernomorec, Pomorie, Ravda and Obzor.

More info at their website: http://crownchange.com/en/

Quick heads up....  they only replied to my email enquires written in Bulgarian and ignored the ones i wrote in English.

Method 2

Bitcoin....  It costs about 2% to buy Bitcoin with a Card at Coinbase, Gdax, or Bitstamp in GBP. You can sell Bitcoin for Leva at a Bitcoin ATMs in Bulgaria.
There are Bitcoin ATMs at:
36 bulevard "Dragan Tsankov" Sofia, Sofia-city 1113 and
The White Cafe... ul. "Lajos Kossuth" 35, 1606 Sofia Center, Sofia,

So no need to worry about losing your Bank card in an ATM when it comes to Bitcoin.  Buy Bitcoin online before you fly if you don't already have some, move it to a paper wallet and print your private key as a QR code  (remember, never let anyone see or photograph your private key).
Then all you need to do is present your private key QR code to the ATM camera once in Bulgaria and the machine will give you cash.

There are also person to person Bitcoin buyers listed at  https://localbitcoins.com/
all over Bulgaria.

Hope that info helps folks.

Basically you're right - ignore the readings of the odometer, because they have been modified while the car was still in Gemany, Italy, Austria or the UK.
But if you like to get a rough estimation - just multiply the car age by 20 000 km. per year and you will have it.
KAT regitration after two weeks - forget about this! If the car doesn't have numbering plates, third party liability or annual technical inspection you're not allowed to drive it even for a single meter. I would be much surprised if this is possible in the UK....

Number plates and annual inspection belong and stay with the car in UK. As long as you have insurance you have 30 days to register the new keeper (which is not necessarily the owner).

Can you buy and defer the registration via some sort of power of attorney?

Not sure what you're talking about, but here's the regulation in force:
I-181

If you're buying a car here, then no plates or registration from the UK will work.

Once you've bought the car/or imported it then the 14 days term for registration applies.

If the car is bought here and has no numbering plates, technical inspection and insurance - no driving.

And yes, I think it is possible for a third person to do the registration for you.

In Bulgaria the procedure is different then in the UK.

Only the insurance, the MOT and the vignette stickers for the public road system are transferred when you buy-sell a car in Bulgaria.
When you buy a used car if it has plates already they have to be changed if the permanent address of the owner is in different municipality then the address of the previous owner. This is mandatory for tax purposes. The change in registration have to be done in the traffic inspection department to the municipality where the new owner will reside.
If you are going to buy used car from dealership they can help you with first registration of the vehicle or provide transit plates with which you can drive the car to the traffic inspection department at the municipality where can be registered.
All of these procedures can be done by a third person, who can be authorized from the new owner by POA which have to be notarized.