Shopping in Istanbul

Hello dear members,

I guess this could be an interesting topic. I invite all members in Istanbul (both locals & expats) to share their daily/weekly/monthly experience about shopping. You may also include some shopping tips/suggestions!

So can you please share with us:

>Where do you usually go for shopping?
(Shopping for basic products like Food, Vegetables, Meat)

>What are your favorite shopping malls/complex or boutique?
(Where you usually go to relax or to buy your clothing stuffs, shoes and other shopping related products!)

Awaiting for your contribution ;)

Best Regards

>Where do you usually go for shopping?
I live in Üsküdar which is quite suburban, so there are plenty of supermarkets and grocery stores literally on every corner. However, the goods sold in them are not too great. Or maybe it is the selection, I don't know. BIM or DIA have a poor choice, I think. So basically I prefer buying fruits and vegetables at a huge market that is organized every Thursday here and then other stuff at a bigger supermarket like Migros.

>What are your favorite shopping malls/complex or boutique?
Um.. definitely not Istiklal street. I mean it has a lot of shopping opportunities, but there are so many people there day and night that I find it impossible to shop. I liked Forum Istanbul the one time I was there. I'm told Istiniye Park is good, so I'm gonna stop by one of these days.

Thank you very much for your contribution, onlinehiatus! :)

I am living in Kadikoy and generally shopping in Kadikoy Çarşı or Bahariye

For fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, dried fruits and cheap clothing, I enjoy the pazars on Tuesdays in Kadikoy and 4Levent and on Saturdays in Besiktas.

For Italian pork salami, I love Şütte in Nişantaşı.

For some of the best pastries and real flatbread crackers, check out Bahar Pastanesi in Nişantaşı as well.

Any of the city's malls provide your basic mall/clothing/shoe selection, if needed. Try to avoid going on the weekends when they are often packed.

Spearo,
Cc; Expat Community,

Are these Kadikoy Çarşı or Bahariye shops good for buying shoes and cheap/budget electrical appliances?

My stay in Cairo taught me never to buy shoes in Egypt, but in the U.S. I could buy reasonable quality shoes from a discount bin outside the selling store. Can I buy from a bin in Kadikoy? Anything?

Thanks much,

There are two very awesome discount stores in Bostancı near Bagat Cd., and the streets Vuleka & Kasadar. Both are near the sea and within walking distance of Bostancı Station. One shop sells makeup and toiletries in the Bostancı Market, near the Vodaphone. If you continue walking Northwest, there's a clothing store that sells tops starting at 5T.L., 10T.L. and upward to 30 or 40 T.L. I forget the name. It's maybe two or three streets away.

I look forward to returning and to finding more stores like these. keep up the excellent contributions! <3

I was living in BJK so enjoyed the Saturday's market there (for veggies and fresh food) and the shops around the fish market and its malls when i was lazy to shop in Canyon, Istinye, etc.
On Sundays tarlabasi's market was nice too and different =)

Loved having awesome brands difficult to have till recently even in Madrid or Bcn (see Nars Makeup store in Bagdad Cd).