International Phone calls

Anyone having issues calling out of Brazil ? I can't find any info and have not been able to call out to the USA this week . Any info or suggestions would be a big help .

Google hangouts allows free calls to most US numbers.
Skype also works but there's a small charge.
Skype has the advantage of a local number in the US that allows people there to call you at local rates.

I use Vonage. I have a US number assigned to it.

Jim

jland912 wrote:

Jim

Same here.  Works like a charm, both incoming and outgoing.  And on calls to Brazil, the Brazilian system reads it as a landline, so it bypasses any block on cell calls that an institution may have.

jland912 wrote:

Jim

First time I've seen that one.
It has the advantage of a local number so incoming callers aren't put off by international rates. Just taken a look and the virtual line is available for many countries, those including the UK so it has potential use for me as well as expats from any other of the many served countries.

Thanks for the suggestions . I'll look into those this
Week and post what happens

Many US calls I need do have international #'s but cannot find international operator, so use Skype. Cheap  and effective.

Skype, VoIP,  any kind of messager(Whatsapp, Telegram, Viber)

abthree
I wanted to call my bank in US. They do not accept skype calls (1 800). How does Vonage work from a mobile. from Brasil? Is there an app, how would I set up?
I found bank branch phone # but not getting anything on skype either.
Thanks

Hey, Tex,

Vonage has a mobile app called Extensions; you can only use it if you're a Vonage subscriber.  You can enroll up to two cellphones.  Calls to your Vonage number roll over to the cells, and calls from your cell through the app look like they're coming from your Vonage number to the other party, like your bank.  We had a router that was incompatible with Vonage for about three months (replaced now, fortunately), and I couldn't use my Vonage phone, but still had full functionality through the app.
I ported my landline number over to Vonage just before I left the US, but I think that if you sign up with them, they can give you a US number, even if you don't have one to port.

Thank you. I too am having many problems with this router.
I will do some checking. Nothing get thru even on skype unless they agree to be a contact.
Again thanks

You would think some American banks would help the many expats overseas by being set up on Skype or WhatsApp.  Come on!

Nope, got the "We take security as the high priority" email 5 times. Looked for direct phone to bank and stumbled on reviews which were many about all having 800 numbers. I finally ask for supervisor and got a number. Found that calls were not accepting via skype.

abthree wrote:

Hey, Tex,

Vonage has a mobile app called Extensions; you can only use it if you're a Vonage subscriber.  You can enroll up to two cellphones.  Calls to your Vonage number roll over to the cells, and calls from your cell through the app look like they're coming from your Vonage number to the other party, like your bank.  We had a router that was incompatible with Vonage for about three months (replaced now, fortunately), and I couldn't use my Vonage phone, but still had full functionality through the app.
I ported my landline number over to Vonage just before I left the US, but I think that if you sign up with them, they can give you a US number, even if you don't have one to port.

abthree,

There´s no roaming to pay then right? You can call, receive and send unlimited text messages with Vonage while in Brazil but your location appears to be in the US to the other party receiving the calls and sending messages because it´s a US number? So how much is the monthly fee and can you pay them on -line?

I have a NET (a cable company) router for internet only, no TV. Do you think that´s compatible?
What is the best router and do you have to buy extra accessories for connections? I only use my
cellphone and Skype. No landline.

I´m going back to the US next month. Are they usually located in malls like the other cell providers?

Thanks!

robal

I used Vonage in Brazil for six years with very little problems. I never used the mobile app except when in the USA. The Vonage modem worked just fine. You can set it up online. I don't think you can go to a store to buy it. You can even have a virtual number connected to it so your Brazilan friends and family can call you. in Brazil started paying $ 9.95 in the beginning and then it went to around $25 after that.

Jim

Jim,

You´re saying the modem did not exist physically in your residence in Brazil but in the US and you set it up on-line? Is that a virtual modem?

You also enrolled with them on-line as there are no physical stores? This would solve my problem with my PalPay account and my cryptocurrency exchange accounts since they need a 2 step ID. They don´t accept foreign numbers. ONLY U.S. numbers!

Thanks.

robal

I am interested also.
Too bad no HSBC in BR now. HSBC called my other bank for me on a conf call and was able to get the other bank to reset password. Now that is service. I emailed HSBC they called me (long distance), conf called me to other bank. I do not want to go thru this again.

Accounts are always getting harder to access from abroad because of geo-targeting.
I use Yahoo finance a lot with my VPN, and they seem to have gotten their hands around my VPN´s throat already! They make it difficult to access the US content. Don´t even mention Bank of America. They seem to have black listed also my VPN. I had to call them with Skype.

PayPal is very inflexible and so with crypto exchanges. They make you ruin your day!

robal

Hi, Robal,

We have NET, too.  We started out with, and now have again, the Technicolor TC7337NET router provided by NET, and it's perfectly compatible with Vonage.  The router is for Internet and a Brazilian landline, which we have because it's included in our package, but hardly ever use.  TV comes in on the same cable, but does not run through the router; router and TV box access the cable separately through a splitter.
When we upgraded our Internet for speed, NET gave us a Humax HGB10R-02 router, probably because they considered it to be an upgraded model.  As soon as we plugged in the Vonage box though, Internet access crashed, and to get it back, we had to disconnect Vonage and reboot the router.  Vonage sent us a new box, but the problem was the router.  As soon as we had a Technicolor again, it was smooth sailing.  And the Technicolor handles the increased speed just fine.

Vonage provides a box -- current model is HT801 -- which needs to be plugged into your house power, and attaches to your router with an included Ethernet cable.  You plug a normal telephone into that, and setup from there is easy.

There's no roaming.  On the Vonage North America Plan, calls anywhere in the US, Mexico, and Canada are free; international calls (including to Brazil, since the system thinks your in North America!) have pretty low per minute rates.  We pay $24.99/mo, plus taxes and fees, for a total of $37.86.  You can enroll up to two cellphones in the Extensions app; calls roll over to my Brazil and US cells if we don't answer the phone that's attached to the box, and we can make calls from the cells through the app, too, wherever we are.  If you're on the North America plan but using it outside North America, you have to tell them, so that they have a record of why you're not signed up for 911 anywhere; that doesn't keep you from using the service abroad, though.  I've had no trouble with two-step identification on my Vonage number.  Since it appears to callers as a landline, though, you need to have them CALL with the code, not text it.

I think that you can only sign up with Vonage online or by phone; I don't think that they have physical stores.  Since you'll be in the US, just have them send the box to you there -- it's small, and you can just throw it in your suitcase when you come back.

By all means, check them out:  www.vonage.com

I have no problem with CapitalOne. They use device recognition for the 2-step ID. Believe me, I have so many accounts that I also use Authy and Google Authenticator
to be able to connect!

robal

abthree wrote:

Hi, Robal,

We have NET, too.  We started out with, and now have again, the Technicolor TC7337NET router provided by NET, and it's perfectly compatible with Vonage.  The router is for Internet and a Brazilian landline, which we have because it's included in our package, but hardly ever use.  TV comes in on the same cable, but does not run through the router; router and TV box access the cable separately through a splitter.
When we upgraded our Internet for speed, NET gave us a Humax HGB10R-02 router, probably because they considered it to be an upgraded model.  As soon as we plugged in the Vonage box though, Internet access crashed, and to get it back, we had to disconnect Vonage and reboot the router.  Vonage sent us a new box, but the problem was the router.  As soon as we had a Technicolor again, it was smooth sailing.  And the Technicolor handles the increased speed just fine.

Vonage provides a box -- current model is HT801 -- which needs to be plugged into your house power, and attaches to your router with an included Ethernet cable.  You plug a normal telephone into that, and setup from there is easy.

There's no roaming.  On the Vonage North America Plan, calls anywhere in the US, Mexico, and Canada are free; international calls (including to Brazil, since the system thinks your in North America!) have pretty low per minute rates.  We pay $24.99/mo, plus taxes and fees, for a total of $37.86.  You can enroll up to two cellphones in the Extensions app; calls roll over to my Brazil and US cells if we don't answer the phone that's attached to the box, and we can make calls from the cells through the app, too, wherever we are.  If you're on the North America plan but using it outside North America, you have to tell them, so that they have a record of why you're not signed up for 911 anywhere; that doesn't keep you from using the service abroad, though.  I've had no trouble with two-step identification on my Vonage number.  Since it appears to callers as a landline, though, you need to have them CALL with the code, not text it.

I think that you can only sign up with Vonage online or by phone; I don't think that they have physical stores.  Since you'll be in the US, just have them send the box to you there -- it's small, and you can just throw it in your suitcase when you come back.

By all means, check them out:  www.vonage.com

Roger to that. Thanks abthree!

robal

Would this work with Oi? I do not want to interrupt BH internet. I am just using her Oi with wireless.

Texanbrazil wrote:

Would this work with Oi? I do not want to interrupt BH internet. I am just using her Oi with wireless.

You need a hardwired Ethernet connection between the Vonage box and a physical router.

I use Skype and Messenger and no problems. My tablet takes care of the mess. Skype free 1-800 numbers.
I had to put a few dollars on Skype for non 1-800 #, had to call Portugal    about my Social Security all personal calls friends and family I use messenger , it's free and you no need a Facebook account.
Skype 1-800 Free for the IRS will keep one on hold for a few hours.
Messenger all others....

I brought the modem with me. I set it up in the USA. It can be set up anywhere.  The virtual number is just one that will transfer to your actual number so people in Brazil will not have a long distance charge for them or you to make a call in Brazil. Otherwise, it works just like a regular phone as long as you have internet.  If you trust the mail you could have it sent to you.

Jim

Vonage will work with Oi. We used it with Oi before we got Net.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Will back in US next month. See if I can talk with them.

yes, you can. I don't have them anymore but you can talk to them go online and check them out.

Jim

An update everyone!

I was inspired by the qualities of Vonage and tried to find an alternative to be able to receive and send SMS for the 2-step identification which I badly need for my financial accounts. And guess what... One of the most common app out there already has it all!
Skype!

There were changes last December of 2018. I do use Skype but I use it mainly just for calling my banks or any business in the US and sometimes locally in Brazil.

Features old and new:

1. You can get a local number from different countries called a Skype Number. One of them the US!

2. Call forwarding. When someone calls your Skype Number, it forwards that to your cell phone to wherever you are at. This has to be set up. SMS are also forwarded. Great...
This is for the 2 step ID.

3. They charge low per minute calls. The caller or SMS sender isn´t charged.

4. You can buy on-line and there´s no router to set up. You just have to download the app to your computer and/or cell phone.

5. Since it´s a US number, your banks or other establishments won´t know where
you are...

Links:

https://www.skype.com/en/my/skype-number/https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA3488 … s-in-skypehttps://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1248 … -set-it-uphttps://www.skype.com/en/features/                                                                                                             

Enjoy!

robal

Works on WiFi?
May be my solution, thanks robal

Wifi??? Of course or I wouldn´t recommend it to you...  :sosad::(:(:D:lol:

I just saw your post and wanted to say howdy and give my experience...
I too have found that Skype is Not Always accepted by some institutions within the US. I actually use it for 90% of most calls back to States and Canada. And now Skype as someone else has said started allowing users to send and recieve text messages.
I Do have a Skype account along with a US Based Skype Phone Number.
BUT
I Also Have an American Cell Phone, a Galaxy S9 that has Wifi calling on it, and I have A Tmobile Account as well As Tmobile Chip in it. It Does Allow me to Place and Recieve Calls to the US As Long as I have a nice, Stong Wifi signal. I Am Able to Send and Recieve texts Always, and almost always recieve All incoming American and Canadian Calls As well As Outgoing...

One more thing you can do, there is an App Available on Google play Called "Burner" but it is necessary to have An American or Canadian Phone Number (and it Doesnt work with Skype) it Requires that you validate your phone number via a Text and it wont sent a text to a Skype account...
Burner allows you to Create a Phone # , with almost any American or Canadian Area code and prefix to Choose. You can make calls and send texts with it after you buy credits. But it Also Necessitates that you Use Wifi feature to utilize like my Galaxy S9 Entails...But if you have a phone like mine, it is a wonderful App, is just like using and American phone to call or text another American or Canadian phone number

I use prepaid.com, fifty dollar payment renews automatically on credit card, program into multiple phones fixed and cell.

Glad I read this thread all the way to the bottom. Thanks all.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions . I finally tried "Hangouts" and have had no problems with it . I had to buy some time, and  for everyone I have called , I've never incurred a charge .
That's all business related calls with 800#'s and the likes that are toll free . For friends and the likes I use "WhatsApp" .depends In Brazil so many i use this app that is very good for where ever you want to call .

I also use Whatapp most Brazilian use it also here in Brazil. I also have a US company that my service. I use wificalling feature this allows me to call US and Mexico and Canada numbers for free. It's funny I checked for Brazilian phone service to see if wificalling  is available but they didn't offer it. Here the funny thing I am using there system to use wificalling so they just wouldn't allow it to Brazilian customers.