Process time for paperwork to get married to local

I am not asking about how, that is well covered here, but how long this all takes. I know each peoples comittee is different, but in your experience ... How long did it taje? Are we talking weeks or months?

I will have copy iof duvorce papers in VN. My fiancee has nver been married. (no shes not a child)

Thank you for your time ppl.

SongwriterUK wrote:

I am not asking about how, that is well covered here, but how long this all takes. I know each peoples comittee is different, but in your experience ... How long did it taje? Are we talking weeks or months?

I will have copy iof duvorce papers in VN. My fiancee has nver been married. (no shes not a child)

Thank you for your time ppl.

6-10 weeks.

Thank you for the reply.

Do you mind if I ask? Were both of you divorced before?

SongwriterUK wrote:

Both were not divorced.

Andy Passenger wrote:
SongwriterUK wrote:

Both were not divorced.

Thank you for being candid.

Your replies have been useful.

Cheers

I am looking for this information as well. I was told by different people from 6 months to one year.

12 weeks, due to the lack of information given out by the Peoples Committee, and the distance from where we lived to the town we had to do the paperwork.

Ah Thanks.

D5 is my Fiancees local. So not too far.

DELAFON wrote:

I am looking for this information as well. I was told by different people from 6 months to one year.

The most important points concerning duration are:
- What is your home country?
- Do you already bring all necessary documents (notarized in your home country) to Vietnam?
- Which is the hometown of your Vietnamese partner?
- Where are you registred in Vietnam?
- Are you taking a lawyer for the paperwork?
- Do you already live in Vietnam (if not, do you need much more time)?
- Do you and your Vietnamese partner have enough time (rather not if you both work)?
- Is your Vietnamese partner and her family ready to support?
- I can't say if it takes much longer if one of you is divorced.

We had to go to the administration of her hometown and to the "Legalization" at 184 Bis Pasteur Street a few times (opening hours Paster Street only 7:45-11:15 / 13:15-16:00).
For the health check certificat you must schedule about half a day.
If you have to go to a marriage interview, it takes longer because you have to wait for an appointment (we didn't have to do an interview).
We were married after about nine weeks. However, I had to wait 3 weeks for a document from my home country, because I did not have the original document notarized. So the marriage actually only lasted six weeks.

It was much more complicated to register the marriage in my home country.
- Both of us had to bring a legalized and translated police registration to my embassy. And since we had moved in the meantime and both landlords were really unreliable and lazy with regard to the police registration, wwe waited some weeks for getting these documents.
- In addition to the marriage certificate, my embassy wanted also a civil status certificate at the time before the wedding. And since the Legalization at Pasteur Street did not accept the notarized copy of the civil status certificate, we somehow had to organize an original civil status certificate. And getting such a document after marriage is almost impossible even in Vietnam.

SongwriterUK wrote:

Ah Thanks.

D5 is my Fiancees local. So not too far.

Its not about which is nearest to you, its where she has the family book or registered.

Andy Passenger wrote:
DELAFON wrote:

The most important points concerning duration are:
- What is your home country?
- Do you already bring all necessary documents (notarized in your home country) to Vietnam?
- Which is the hometown of your Vietnamese partner?
- Where are you registred in Vietnam?
- Are you taking a lawyer for the paperwork?
- Do you already live in Vietnam (if not, do you need much more time)?
- Do you and your Vietnamese partner have enough time (rather not if you both work)?
- Is your Vietnamese partner and her family ready to support?
- I can't say if it takes much longer if one of you is divorced.

We had to go to the administration of her hometown and to the "Legalization" at 184 Bis Pasteur Street a few times (opening hours Paster Street only 7:45-11:15 / 13:15-16:00).
For the health check certificat you must schedule about half a day.
If you have to go to a marriage interview, it takes longer because you have to wait for an appointment (we didn't have to do an interview).
We were married after about nine weeks. However, I had to wait 3 weeks for a document from my home country, because I did not have the original document notarized. So the marriage actually only lasted six weeks.

It was much more complicated to register the marriage in my home country.
- Both of us had to bring a legalized and translated police registration to my embassy. And since we had moved in the meantime and both landlords were really unreliable and lazy with regard to the police registration, wwe waited some weeks for getting these documents.
- In addition to the marriage certificate, my embassy wanted also a civil status certificate at the time before the wedding. And since the Legalization at Pasteur Street did not accept the notarized copy of the civil status certificate, we somehow had to organize an original civil status certificate. And getting such a document after marriage is almost impossible even in Vietnam.

Doesnt Switzerland accept your marriage certificate from Viet Nam.

colinoscapee wrote:

Only together with an civil status certificate from before the wedding (why ever  :unsure ), a birth certificate and a confirmation of residenc.
And not only a copy of marriage certificate and birth certivicate (that would be too easy).
It must be a register excerpt of marriage certificate and birth certivicate.  :huh:

All documnts bust be legalized and translated from the "Legalization" at Paster Street.

Andy Passenger wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Only together with an civil status certificate from before the wedding (why ever  :unsure ), a birth certificate and a confirmation of residenc.
And not only a copy of marriage certificate and birth certivicate (that would be too easy).
It must be a register excerpt of marriage certificate and birth certivicate.  :huh:

All documnts bust be legalized and translated from the "Legalization" at Paster Street.

Damn! Thats just too hard.

colinoscapee wrote:

Damn! Thats just too hard.

I needed more time for this that for the marriage (including wedding celebration and a photo day trip) in Vietnam.  :(

I did not mention D5 for convenience.

That is the correct place.

Wow. There is a lot to do lol.

Thank you so much for all your input guys.

I am going nowhere near these places until I really have to be.

My Fiancee is in charge of this.

Looking at all this ... I could get a Masters degree easier.

Marrying outside this country does not help?

I hear that one is not recognised as married if the registration was outside this country?

SongwriterUK wrote:

I hear that one is not recognised as married if the registration was outside this country?

The information on the internet is very inaccurate.
Therefore I recommend going to your embassy in Vietnam and ask about the required steps.
Then go to a lawyer who can tell you what exactly you must do in Vietnam. The lawyer can also prepare all documents (translation, legalization). I payed US$ 500.
Our lawyer also came along with us 2 times to the civil registry office in the home town of my wife (40 km far).
I remember that she contended there with the autorities about something. Maybe without the lawyer we met trouble because something.

SongwriterUK wrote:

Not true, depends  which country it's done in. Many people used to go to Thailand to do it. Then the VN embassy in Thailand halted doing paperwork to try and stop the flow of VN marriages there.

I suppose the obvious question would be ... any idea which country can you get married in which will be recognised by VN authorities?

SongwriterUK wrote:

I suppose the obvious question would be ... any idea which country can you get married in which will be recognised by VN authorities?

My home country Australia recognises it and vice-versa.

Try contacting these guys, a few years ago the VN government tried to stop people going to Thailand and getting married. They wouldnt issue paperwork at the VN embassy.

https://www.siam-legal.com/Thailand_Ser … namese.php

That sounds like a holiday.

What part does the VN embassy play?

I can see no reference.

Vietnamese Nationals who contemplate on marrying in Thailand need to bring the following documents from Vietnam and present it to the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok.  The embassy will issue the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry in return which is necessary for the Thai Marriage.

Certificate of Single Status. This is obtained at the local district office in Vietnam where the party resides.
Original of the Divorce Certificate. This is required for those who have been married before which ended in either divorce or death of Spouse.
Original of Vietnamese Passport.
National ID card/Valid ID card.
The Household Registration Certificate
Original of Birth Certificate.
Original of Fiancé' Passport.
Original of the Divorce Certificate of Fiance' if he/she had been married before.
Upon submission of these documents at the Vietnamese Embassy, the Affirmation form will be provided to the applicant for him/her to complete. It's important to have the following information ready to be able to complete the form immediately: Personal Information, name of parents, address, nationality of fiancee and two references and their addresses. The Affirmation may be given within a day or two. You have to tell this to the officer otherwise she will ask you to return after 2 days.

Aaah, yes, I see it now. So are they still being arsey I wonder?

I will do a search for other nearby countries that might not require the VN officials in that country to be involved.

Lets face it ... It is the VN officials we are trying to avoid as much as possible.

Ahhh love, how humans can trample it to death.

Contact that link I gave you and ask them what's happening.

If your gf's family book and registration is in D5 it's not too difficult as you don't have to travel back to her hometown.

Yes that bit seems straightforward.

For info ... Here are the total requirements for VN getting married in Thailand.

. . . .

Vietnamese Nationals who contemplate on marrying in Thailand need to bring the following documents from Vietnam and present it to the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok.  The embassy will issue the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry in return which is necessary for the Thai Marriage.

Certificate of Single Status. This is obtained at the local district office in Vietnam where the party resides.
Original of the Divorce Certificate. This is required for those who have been married before which ended in either divorce or death of Spouse.
Original of Vietnamese Passport.
National ID card/Valid ID card.
The Household Registration Certificate
Original of Birth Certificate.
Original of Fiancé' Passport.
Original of the Divorce Certificate of Fiance' if he/she had been married before.
Upon submission of these documents at the Vietnamese Embassy, the Affirmation form will be provided to the applicant for him/her to complete. It's important to have the following information ready to be able to complete the form immediately: Personal Information, name of parents, address, nationality of fiancee and two references and their addresses. The Affirmation may be given within a day or two. You have to tell this to the officer otherwise she will ask you to return after 2 days.

Once you have obtained the document, you are now ready to proceed with the Thai Marriage Registraion process.

. . . .

From http://gam-legalalliance.com/getting-ma … nationals/

I do not know how up to date that is. I have contacted them and also the link you sent.

I will report back.

This is from a law firm in Thailand.

"
2018-03-12 10:37:04
Yes, they still not issue the affirmation UNLESS the Vietnamese is marrying a Thai national or the Vietnamese is working in Thailand."

"We regret to inform you but, the document necessary to proceed in getting
married in Thailand is the affirmation from Vietnam embassy Thailand.

But, this is impossible to obtain as the Vietnam embassy restricted
Vietnamese getting married here, unless residing in the Kingdom."

Nuts

Thats how the VN government operates. Just do it in-country, it's not that difficult.

The whole process kills romance.

I will look at Singapore etc first.

Fine

Wedding in F on july 12

2nd w in v in about 9 m till paper work finished!!!...

Thanks for the update.

Have a wonderful day

hi

go to thailand.

You get married in half a day...

DELAFON wrote:

hi

go to thailand.

You get married in half a day...

Yes, but will your marriage be recognized by authorities in Vietnam (needed for VEC/TRC and possibly joint bank accounts) if you do not follow the steps detailed by Colinoscapee in #25 and SongwriterUK in #29?