Intercultural relationships in New Zealand

Hello,

We invite you to share some fun anecdotes and information regarding intercultural marriages and relationships in New Zealand. This will provide some insight to current and future expats regarding relationship norms in mixed relationships and marriages in New Zealand.

What are some of the best things about being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

What are some challenges that you have faced or are currently facing? How do you address them?

Are intercultural relationships/marriages common and accepted in New Zealand?

What are the benefits to being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

Do you have any fun or interesting anecdotes to share regarding dating norms and rules for intercultural relationships/marriages?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I am an American married to a nz male. I've been lucky to find a nz male that's lived overseas and while he still is a kiwi guy he's in touch with his emotions. I didn't realise how much our cultures would dictate facets of our whole relationship. Firstly nz is a conformist society. Even existing in society here it's hard as I am exposed to Nz males where they almost have this secret code where they act proud of how little effort they put into things especially relationships. I think the women here also act masculine to fit on which frustrates me as they don't want to know you unless you act or look that way too. I think being in touch with emotions in nz is also seen as uncool. These have been major challenges for me. You could say stoicism is a stereotypical male feature everywhere but it's a thousand times worse in nz.