Intercultural relationships in Guatemala

Hello,

We invite you to share some fun anecdotes and information regarding intercultural marriages and relationships in Guatemala. This will provide some insight to current and future expats regarding relationship norms in mixed relationships and marriages in Guatemala.

What are some of the best things about being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

What are some challenges that you have faced or are currently facing? How do you address them?

Are intercultural relationships/marriages common and accepted in Guatemala?

What are the benefits to being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

Do you have any fun or interesting anecdotes to share regarding dating norms and rules for intercultural relationships/marriages?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I personally don't have an intercultural relationship with a Guatemalan but I know others who do, mostly men. Unfortunately, I have heard of many instances of foreign men being targeted by "golddiggers". The women want a better life and will do anything to get it, including seducing foreigners to get to their money, property, and opportunity to go back to the States. Several men I've talked to in Guatemala have learned this the hard way. They are more careful now to date women who have their own opportunities (i.e. a job, a dream for their future) rather than selecting any woman who approaches them at the bar.
One young man I know, early 20s, is in a very happy relationship with a young Mayan woman. They are both educated and responsible. He is very much in love! He enjoys learning about her culture including attending events with her and being open to the differences in their lifestyles.
My other male friends have told me it is much easier to find a woman to date in the larger cities, like Guatemala, Antigua, and Xela. The women there are more educated, often speak English (and love to practice) and have more modern viewpoints on dating. Where I live in Panajachel, it is 95% indigenous peoples and young women are often married by age 20.
I hope others with more direct experience can contribute to this discussion. :)