Intercultural relationships in Ethiopia

Hello,

We invite you to share some fun anecdotes and information regarding intercultural marriages and relationships in Ethiopia. This will provide some insight to current and future expats regarding relationship norms in mixed relationships and marriages in Ethiopia.

What are some of the best things about being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

What are some challenges that you have faced or are currently facing? How do you address them?

Are intercultural relationships/marriages common and accepted in Ethiopia?

What are the benefits to being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

Do you have any fun or interesting anecdotes to share regarding dating norms and rules for intercultural relationships/marriages?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Dear Priscilla, thank you for invitation to share some experience...As a husband of Ethiopian lady I am very happy person. My Selamawit is like angel...Good wife, proud mother of our son Marko...We have fun every day with our son. In our church everybody love her. Serbian people are Christian orthodox same as most of Ethiopian people. She talk every day with family in Ethiopia on viber or whatsApp...We are waiting for our son to celebrate first birtday and to make passport for him and go to Ethiopia...I will go with them for 10 days, and Selamawit and Marko will stay one month...One day last year we went to some village.. People in villages do not have oportunity to see other people with darker skeen...One older lady asked one of our friends where this gibsy lady is comming from...because in our Country only our gibsies have darker skeen...She was looking at Selamawit whole day long...That was so funny...Where ever we go in our City - Sabac, everybody is looking at her because she is so beautiful and different...Selamawit is happy in Serbia, but she miss family and Ethiopian food...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … mp;theater[/img]

I had a lot of relationships with Ethiopian women; one of the funniest anekdotes was when I had problems with my cross, my Ethiopian girlfriend suggested that I put my cross in holy water :)

I don't have any experience taking an Ethiopian lady abroad; what I noticed is that in Ethiopia, Ethiopians are crazy about white people and very friendly. However once in Europe, their behavior makes 180 degree turn and they look for other Ethiopians that share their culture, ignoring white people.